/dist/images/branding/favicon

Prop guards for Cinestar 6

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Andy Anderson, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson New Member

Just wondering if anyone knows where to purchase or a slick way to make prop guards. Have seen them on a competitor copter and seems like it would be relatively easy. Thoughts?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Do you mean for transporting the copter, or for flying? Many of us are using pipe insulators to protect the props whilst the copter's being transported, but I haven't see anything for the Cinestar while it's airborne.

3. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson New Member

Im looking for something for flying. I saw one of the larger copters (cant think of the name) that had an arc that attached to the boom arm and just covered the outside edge.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

What is the problem you're trying to solve? If you want something that'll protect the props from bumpy landings, I'd caution you that securing something that will actually be reliable is going to be difficult. You also have a number of issues to consider...
    • additional weight
    • round, symmetric things tend to vibrate (a lot)
    • a 12-14 pound Cinestar hitting the ground (or anything else) is going to generate a considerable amount of force, and a plastic or other lightweight material arc is not going to do anything
    I don't want to discourage you from trying, but be realistic. I haven't seen a single Cinestar with any sort of prop protection like you describe.

5. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson New Member

Looking for something like this for a Cinestar. http://www.aericam.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/AeriCam-X6-Collage-s-1.jpg

6. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

To stop props touching the ground if it tips over?

7. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson New Member

The main purpose is to protect objects from the props if I get to close. Obviously will make all efforts to fly safe but will be flying near some expensive objects and am trying to develop another line of protection as well..

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy I gotta ask what would you be flying that close to? If you are shooting film/pictures and need something that fills the frame put on a longer lens. Give yourself some safety room.

9. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

From a safety standpoint this guard looks like a nice idea and might save a prop or two from unintended contact with the ground or other objects. If you don't mind the weight it seems a rational 'extra layer'. I would agree with Gary that staying a good distance away is the better overall approach ( an ounce of prevention... ). However, we are touting a platform that allows aerial video from unique perspectives so one may not have the luxury of being far, far away.
    It may have additional value by giving clients assurances ( aka "warm fuzzies" ) that you are a concerned and safe operator - nothing wrong with that.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

My first though was that this was addressed to me! :)
    I was already forming the thought "it's those trees that leap out....."

Andy.

11. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

I use a set of prop guards built by the folks at Droidworx. I think these are the prototypes, don't know what they offer now. They add one pound. I've tested them by bumping into a wall and have never had them fail.
    I'm always looking to add more layers of safety to my systems. In the case of my Flair tip inspections (450 foot chimney) your UAV is coming down if it touches the tower. I have been tripped up landing in very tall snow covered grass, with the guards the UAV can tip onto it's side and everything just keeps spinning without issue.
    Noel

DW Prop Guards.jpg

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Interesting idea, Noel.

What's a "Flair" tip inspection, please?

My first thought (based on prior experience) was: Hmm. I wonder how well they'd work with trees? (See my signature line to understand that!) :rolleyes:

Andy.

13. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

Sorry Andy "Flare" tip inspection. I wouldn't fly with them too close to trees, these guards would hook the branches.

These inspections used to be preformed by manned helicopters. UAVs are replacing them. We're getting considerably better quality images because we can get so close.
    Noel
    Flare Tip.jpg

14. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

hey Noel where did u buy them from cant see them on droidworx page

15. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

Hi Jason,
    They gave them to me to me at NAB last year to test. They work very well. I can't find any guards on their site either. I understood that they were going to redesign the guards and offer them for sale.

Noel

16. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Just make sure it doesn't turn on!

Josh

17. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

If the plant has an issue and diverts the fuel to the stack while we were flying the UAV would frying. Haven't lost a UAV to the flames yet.
    Noel

18. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson New Member

Thanks Noel, that is exactly what I had seen but didn't know where to start looking. I hope Droidworx has them in the pipeline somewhere!
    Andy A.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Interesting shot!

Tough about the trees, though. I need all the help I can get. Got to do another orchard shoot in the near future....I can hear them calling the Cinestar.... :)

Andy.

20. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member