/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian, firm or soft mounting?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Janne Hoglund, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Hi Friends.
    The mounting tape delivered with the Radians is very firm and hard.
    Is this material maybe to hard and stiff?
    Many other kinds of gyros -stabilisers, Futaba 401 or Helicommand Must be mounted on softer ¨spongy¨ tape to absorb vibrations.
    Anyone try with mounting the Radians on a bit more ¨spongy¨kind of double sided tape to get rid of the now famous Rolltwitch??

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Janne: the Radians need to track the movement of the gimbal parts as closely as possible -- softer material will act as a shock absorber and reduce that ability.

Andy.

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I would be curious to see if this works.

Josh

4. Rex D Peters

Rex D Peters New Member

I'm having the same problem!! Everything else is working great. Hopefully there will be some solution soon.

5. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Yes I know but some little absorbing of small shock- vibrations might be a possitive thing.
    I know I read Simon Jardine used something...

6. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Found it on Vimeo;

This thing is in a world of it's own :)
    Since the video was made, i have adjusted settings, gain and also mounted the modules on soft silicone rubber mounts.
    Makes a HUGE difference.
    Simon
    #

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Janne:
    Interesting. Well, it's hard to argue with the evidence. Do you plan to try mounting the Radians with softer double sided tape?

I've emailed Simon to ask him specifically what mounts he used.

Andy.

8. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Good thinking Andy :)
    I´ll wait and hopefully we get some input from Simon.
    His skills and knowledge in this apartment is one of the best I think!

Regards.

/Janne

9. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

But Simon is not using Radiants on the above video the consistent thing with the Radiants is the Roll tweeching that so hard to get rid off plus the small bumps of the tilt Radiant today I did some test with the Roll and tilt radiants soft mounted actually mounted them with earplugs fome in between and held with rubber bands perhaps this was too much, I tried 110, 70, 40, 30 gains tomorrow I will try again with semi hard mounting the Radiants

10. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Why would he then say so??

11. Jose Luis Ocejo

I dont know, but by looking at the video the part that he shows the copter flying, I cant see the radiants mounted anywhere, look the way I understand the job of the Radiants is to maintain a level right, just like the MK FC did before, what we are getting is level, yes, but with a tweching movement that is introduced the moment we turn on the Radiant very notable in the roll by looking at the horizon then combined with the up down mini bumps of the tilt Radiant
    make for a jumpy frame, having a well balance copter frame, motors, props, gimbal etc. I know its a most but still, me and many others get the tweches, for that matter we all had them before back when the potentiometers where used and we stabilized the camera mount with the (in my case) MK FC board its been said that the tweecheing is because of the use of servo+ belt on the gimbal, direct drive its the way to go, ok, so do I understand that the tweechings have been with us all along no matter what stabilizers we use whether it was the MK FC, or the DJI FC or the Picklock stabilizer or other stabilizers out there then why did we need the Radiants?

12. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Jose,
    He is running the beta radians in that video. I had the same ones. They were just boards that were shrink wrapped. The roll Radian is mounted on the bottom of the roll tube. During the beta testing that was where we had to mount it.

Josh

13. Jose Luis Ocejo

Haa Ok... thanks for the clarification Josh, sorry doubting you guys, I want to correct something I said before on the Radiants I am narrowing down the tweches on my gimbal to small vibrations that find their way from the copter down to the vertical gimbal tube, out to the 2 horizontal tubes to the camera they are like small pendulum vibrations, at some point I thought it may be that the Radiants that would over react to copter vibrations and create the tweeches but think I rule that out, I started to test by lowering the Radiant gains and did not see an improvement so I decided I soft mounted the Radiants by isolating them using a thin rubber piece sandwich between 2 pieces of the sticky rubbery servo tape Im not sure if that help I m still testing

14. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Any news Andy?

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the reminder, Janne. No....nothing heard back. I'm just heading out to fly so I'll set a note for me to check my spam folders and also send him another email.

Andy.