/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

The ESC would need to be specially designed because it needs to go forward and reverse quickly. I'm sure there's other trickery that I don't know about, too. :)

2. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I was just reading on another forum that you have to rewind the motors also unless they are already setup to be gimbal motors. I was wondering about the ESC's as well, it would have to read the PPM from the RC to decide when it needs to reverse direction. Current ESC's would not have that capability. Just realized that after further digging into the issue.

3. Shaun Stanton

Does the AlexMOS hold the camera position similar to the Radian when you release the sticks on your RC controller? Or does it spring back to null with the stick movement? I have assumption that it will do the latter and not the former, based off of other multi-WII boards that I have played with.

4. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Shaun I don't know if they would work or not. The controller is not too expensive and it does the job. Now it depends what size motors you use.
    I got in touch with Maxon motors and asked about better motors.
    This is the first reply I got:
    <<
    Hello Mr. Basile,
    It was a pleasure discussing with you this morning your Gimbal application, as promised below you will find the ECflat motor winding + encoder that I suggest for your application. I also included budgetary price for you to reference.

EC 45 flat Ø42.8 mm, brushless, 50 Watt, with Hall sensors, part number: 339287 http://www.maxonmotor.com/maxon/view/product/339287

Encoder MR, Type L, 1000 CPT, 3 Channels, with Line Driver, Part number: 228456 http://www.maxonmotor.com/maxon/view/product/228456

Price is around $400CAD/each (1-4pcs) for the motor + encoder,
    Once reviewed, please send me detailed information on your electronics to make sure that it will be all compatible.

Best Regards,

Richard Dunaj|richard@electromate.com| cell 514-245-9136|

Maxon Motor Application/Sales Engineer - Eastern Canada>>

And this is the second reply I got after I sent him information about the controller and the motors we are using now:
    <<
    Hello Bill,

This will not be compatible with maxonmotor.

Sorry that I can’t help you out,

Best Regards,

Richard Dunaj|richard@electromate.com| cell 514-245-9136|

Maxon Motor Application/Sales Engineer - Eastern Canada>>

So I guess Maxon motors are out. Still digging.

Bill

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  5. Bill Collydas

The controller does not have a slew mode according to my test. I have to dig in deeper to see if I can activate the slew mode. No, it springs back to neutral.

Bill

6. Bill Collydas

Ok I did some testing and you can activate slew mode and it works. whereever you release the sticks it will stay there.
    Good to know.
    Bill

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  7. Shaun Stanton

Sh*t Hot! I think I want to start doing this as well. I need a brush less gimbal by this summer, none of the major companies with the exception of Photohigher will have one ready.

Thanks for testing that out and reporting back the results:)

8. Bill Collydas

Steve Maller likes this.
  9. Bill Collydas

Well my part isomewhere in Missoula.
    I decided to take my CS apart and start to convet some CF pieces to fit the mototrs.

Bill

Attached Files:

10. Chris Shaw

Chris Shaw New Member

In your corner cheering you on!

Tristan Guercovich likes this.
  11. Shaun Stanton

Are the motors you have setup for gimbal use or did you have to rewind the copper on the stators?

12. Bill Collydas

They are already set up for a gimbal. Is not esy to wind your own motors, So I leave it to the experts.
    Those are the 5010-150 I am waiting for the 5206-150 to arrive. Mean time I'll play with those.

Bill

13. kjetil tønnesen

it looks nice bill:)
    do you think the motor you have wil take bigger cameras then the nex 5 and gh3?

14. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Here's a thought for bigger cameras-
    What about using TWO motors on one axis, linked together with one shaft and their poles aligned. Then use one sensor board that feeds two controller boards (with identical settings) to double the amp output and motor power per axis.
    Too complicated?

15. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Boris over on MR/RCG was doing two motors just recently:)

btw

16. Bill Collydas

I have to try what I have on hand. Then I'll get the bigger ones.
    @ Tim
    There are alot of possibilities, I was also thinking of using the direct drive on the tilt and servo/pulley on roll and pan.
    Sometimes on the roll is you get propwash or a gust of wind would move out of allingment.
    Like I said alot of possibilities.

Bill

17. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

From what I've seen, the radians do really well on the tilt, especially since it has the least weight. For my GH2 I have the gains at 300 and it is near perfect. I would rather have the direct drive on the roll, where we are a lot more sensitive to seeing disturbances. (It is probably the easiest axis to correct in post though.)
    Regardless, I'll be interested to see your results. I'll have to resist the urge to tinker with my main machine as the busy season gets going. Why couldn't all this happen in January??! :)

18. Bill Collydas

Well I am very sad to say that the first attempt fail.
    I have too much bounce on the roll. Back to the drawing board for something more solid.
    I was checking out the videos of the Movi and I noticed that they use aluminum clamps wich are more solid that the plastic ones. On my list.
    Then for the motors I think they use inrunners. The two brackets that hold the motor are mounted on both sides of the motor for more ridgility. The motor shaft has to be 6.35mm (1/4") . Now where can I find some in-runners?

Bill

19. Christopher Olmoz

Christopher Olmoz New Member

Hi all, I am new to the forum but have been flying rc helis and planes for 10 years now. about 9 months ago I purchased a cinestar 8 and freefly 3 axis gimbal, as well as a DJI F450. I have been hooked on Multirotors ever since! I was hoping to build a custom brushless gimbal this summer (probably based on the freefly / movi design) for ground based use. My question is: do any of the current brushless gimbal controllers have the capability to accept data from non-integrated sensors? Specifically, will any of the brushless gimbal controllers on the market now accept input from Radian stabilizers? I'm sure the IMU's that come with the current controllers are decent, and will get much better over the coming months however I will be using the gimbal for profesional shoots and would like to be using a proven stabilization system that has enough user definable parameters to accommodate all situations. I am of course open to suggestions on other stab. units that might fit that bill.

20. Bill Collydas