/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mövi: prices, shipping date ?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Johannes Thor, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

Hi,

Don't fool yourself :)
    A good stabilization system is both mechanical AND electronical. You should have the best mechanical system but with a crapy stabilization system you will never have a good stab.
    The Movi System use the most advanced technology (military grade) for the stabilization.
    A few things must be noticed : the stab system is coupled with... GPS. GPS ? why the hell are they using GPS ?!
    for these reasons:
    http://www.microstrain.com/applications/platform-stabilization-dynamic-vehicles
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/logi...re.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=5399925
    http://www.google.com/patents/US20080167768
    http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/LN270PLANS/Pages/default.aspx

As you can read, accelerometers are subject to drift in case of curving trajectory. The accelerometer is unable to make the difference between a linear acceleration and a centrifugal force.
    GPS and magnetometer are additionnal probe system that allow the algorythm to apply the best correction.

I bet that small open source stab card don't use magnetometer and GPs suystem so you won't have the same result as a MOVI but adding brushless on a cinestar gimbal :)
    The MOVI price is fully justified by the fact that actualy there is NO equivalent system in this price range.

I have to say that these informations come only from my discussions with other people or my own experience (I'm a metrologist ;) )but it don't come from Freefly.

Best regards,,
    Cédric

2. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Wellknown motormaker Tiger are now starting to make special Gimbalmotors;

http://www.rctigermotor.com/

3. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Thats why I ask for a Brushless upgrade of our 360 gimbals, not an MöVi uppgrade ;-)
    Please give us a Brushless uppgrade and we can bye the Alexmos controlers ourself.

Best regards.

/Janne

4. Phil Macdonald

I totally agree with Cedric, not quite to that technical level because I don't understand 90% of the words he is saying but what I do agree with is that there is likely no alternative to the Movi on the market right now. The issue I have with people moaning about the price is this, consider how much stedicams were when they first came out, consider how much full on track and dolly will set you back, both in outright costs and the huge expense in time it takes to set up, the space it requires etc etc. Ever since the 5D mk2 there is a new market of filmmakers. Those who can make great looking footage on what is essentially a stills camera. That being said the £1200 5D will not match upto the the quality of say an Alexa but then again people dont expect it to because its a fraction of the cost.....You don't see the forums full of people saying Skyfall missed a trick filming on the Alexa, they really should have shot on the 5D, woulda saved them loadsa dosh!! The same can be said about the Movi, sure there are cheaper options out there, within a year there will be several chinese knock offs but will they have the same quality? no probably not and although there will be several shots where they would suffice, like the 5D if you want the best you have to pay for it and to be honest, at $15,000 for the amount of kit and time you are saving its a bargain. Lets not make it an industry where you can get by with £500 worth of kit and think that you can make hollywood level movies, recognise there are different levels of the industry :)

my two cents (pence)....

5. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

GPS has to do with the pan (yaw) nothing to do with the tilt or roll.
    One example is the Zenmuse, 3 axis with Maxon motors. If I can find a 3 axis brushless controller then I'm set, I can convert any gimbal to a brushless gimbal.

Bill
    Bill

6. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Dont think you will have to wait for long....

7. Cédric Bourgoin

Cédric Bourgoin Distributor

hi Bill, I can make a mistake but the magnetometer is related to the pan correction. the GPS allow tilt and especially roll to make the difference between a linear acceleration and a centrifugal force due to a curve.
    Most of the actual system loose horizon in curves du to drift compensation that isn't done by any system.

but I can be wrong :)

8. Bill Collydas

Cedric I will be using the CS gimbal and it has the best mechanical properties.
    On the videos I posted Is a copy of the CS which I made from 20mm CF just to try. I didn't want to take apart my CS gimball.
    Now that I know that it works I can work on my big CS.

@Janne
    I'm sure I wont but NO Chinese knock offs.
    Bill

9. Bill Collydas

@Phil I agree with you that the Movi is on a league of its own.
    I'm not saying that. As for the price maybe is fair but not for the hobbyist.
    Is Freelfy aiming at the movie crowd or the hobbyist? maybe both.
    I know the product will do well. Everything that Freefly produced so far has been succesfull.

Bill

10. Peter Gøthche

Any idea for motors??

11. Bill Collydas

I have some AHM 36-6 pancake motors and also the 5010-021 wire-150turns.
    I'll see which one has more torque.
    The 5206-150 are good also.

Bill

12. Phil Macdonald

@Bill, I think you have hit the nail on the head, I personally think they are aiming at the professional with the M10 model and infact the MR as well. They have demo'd it with Epics and $15,000 4K DSLR's. For the 'hobbyists' and for those who are keen to get involved at more of an indie level, perhaps with the albeit spectacular 5D's, 7D's and GH3 Freefly have already announced that they will be releasing a $7500 5lb version to carry these sort of payloads. I think there is an element of the people who are moaning about the $15k price tag are going to be the same people who want to use their own DSLR's and as such they are looking at the wrong model anyway so looking at it slightly differently and well they have just halved the cost to them :) And lets be honest at the end of the day who wouldn't spend whatever the money costs to stick a camera on a frickin buggy and drive it round like a kid again!!!!

That make any sense? I don't mean it to sound like a personal dig haha....

Phil

13. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Bill, you think can do this but with radians as stabilizers?, use brushless motors instead of servos?

Gustavo.

14. Peter Gøthche

I think that the kw9 from kopterworx looks god in size du you think it would be possible to re wind them for gimbal use?

15. Bill Collydas

Peter you have to rewind them to 130-150 turns on each stator arm and using 0.21 wire the motors can handle 3S-4S no problem.
    The resistance has to be between 9 and 12ohms between phases.
    The trick to the brushless gimbal is the balance on all axis's. Like the Zenmuse if is not balanced it will not work.

Bill

16. Bill Collydas

Why would you want to spend $100 + on a motor when you can buy them for around $40-50 already done.
    The 5206-150 is the highest motor from I-flight. but they are out of stock.

Bill

17. Bill Collydas

Gustavo I don't think the Radians will work for brushless gimbal.
    They meant to drive standard servos. The brushless motors are running at 8khz from the controller.

Bill

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow. If you look at their web site, they have a Motor 8108 that will swing a 26" - 29" prop!
    How big would an octocopter have to be to avoid blade tip strikes?

Andy.

19. Peter Gøthche

I would think that you would get more torque out of the kw9 size and be able to handle bigger camera as and dslr maybe

20. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Bill, I would be VERY interested in following along with your progress. Do you have a thread or blog posted anywhere?