/dist/images/branding/favicon

Coaxial Cinestar...

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Benjamin Rowland, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've been looking for 14x5's PJP-N's and they seem to be out of stock everywhere too....

Andy.

2. Michael Braun

Michael Braun Member

Try Electriflite shop

3. Benjamin Rowland

We flew our Cinestar in X8 configuration for a shoot yesterday. It flew well. We were shooting for Necessary Roughness on USA Network.

Catching a prop in the shot wasn't nearly as much of an issue as we originally thought it might be. When we are in fast forward flight, the camera is almost always pointed forward or at 90 degrees to the left or right and the props are outside of the view of the camera. Flight time suffers a little bit, but not a huge difference. Stability in wind is slightly better it would seem. The ability to use larger props without longer booms is a big plus for portability. In a perfect world, you'd have both a coaxial and a flat octo in the arsenal.

4. Michael Braun

Michael Braun Member

Anyone had or heard of any problems with DJI WKM on their X8 copters?
    Because S800s are falling from the sky all the time.

5. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

You cannot go willy nilly updating firmware or your gonna be in trouble! I am on 5.14 or 5.16( can't remember which) and have been for awhile with no issues. Issues started happening as they rolled out fixes for fixes that weren't tested enough mixed in with adding features before they were ready.
    The S800 on its own has another set of issues contributing to the fails,

6. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

out of stock as well.....

7. Brandon Loeser

Nejc - I believe the issue was with the GPS. That has since been fixed as far as I know. Those problems were from a while ago too. Back in August.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you try Quadrocopter?

9. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

they only carry 15x5 soar....

10. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi all
    thinking of biting the bullet and going coaxial, maybe some of you coaxial gurus could point me in the rite direction, Dejan and Brad seem to have it sussed. i will list a few details, i have a cs8 with 3 axis gimbal but will use 2 axis for the moment, i have wookong m cc ice 50 quadrocopter 3328 motors and will be flying a gh2 , i am running 5.20 firmware and 14x4.7 apcs my gains are 200 200 170 160
    120 120
    it just does not feel solid at all, this is the reason for the change. i think i will use the motor mixer posted in this thread. any suggestion on props top and bottom? and would it be a good idea to put a small section of boom in the place of the booms that are removed, to keep the centre frame rigid? any advice on gain setting that have worked well for your setups? i have no confidence in my setup at the moment, i have a naza hex with slightly bent booms, misaligned motors that flys better than a costly cs8.

any tips and help would be great.
    many thanks
    greeting from Ireland

11. Brad McGiveron

Hey Daniel

One thing for sure is that going coaxial won't make it fly better if it isn't already flying well. It will only improve some of the flight characteristics. If you can't put it into a hover and have it behave or handle properly on a flat then you have issues that should be resolved first. Or be prepared to solve them in X as well and if its vibration based it will be worse in most cases.

Are you flying in atti or gps etc ?

What is happening that you are not liking or how is it handling currently?

12. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi Brad
    I agree totally, the weather has been bad here at the moment so testing has been at a minimum. I can put into a hover no problem but it does not seem solid in the air and small amounts of wind effect it a lot. with the 14x4.7 apcs on, there is only a couple of mil between the tips of the props, maybe use some smaller props? i have some apc twelves and i am going to order some 13 xaors. maybe i should keep upping the gains? i have flown it in atti and gps not much difference. a little while after take off in atti i get what looks like a flashing green light and not the amber but at the same frequency, i have ioc disabled and dont use the voltage alarms? i have been flying it with one 4s 3300mah for testing.

cheers

13. Brad McGiveron

Ya the small wind effect is one of the better features of X config and the disturbance out at the prop edges is one of the reasons.
    Currently you should get better performance as far as it slightly more solid handling with Xoar in like you said 13's with your light weight setup (gh2). It is a very light setup and might benefit with some more weight added tbh. For fun you might load a slightly larger test weight under it and see how it goes.

Well one thing about trying the X configuration is you can change it back if you don't like it. I will say that the side affect that is most noticeable is the loss of flight time... 8-10%. There also is more tendency to yaw a little if there is wind but it wont shake as much is the flat in wind. In the same conditions it will generally fly better. I still run both though:)

14. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

thanks Brad. do you run the same prop top and bottom on your X config.? the better orientation really appeals to me too. any idea about the green lights in atti mode?

cheers

15. Brad McGiveron

ya I do currently... I did try 15X5's and 15X6's on the bottom and it seemed to give a small amount of flight time back. Felt a little different though. I haven't really had enough time to play with different combinations.

Isn't a single green flash saying that your sticks are at center ? Otherwise I am not sure.

look forward to seeing what you do

16. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Thanks for the help and advice Brad, i will let you know how i get on.

cheers.

17. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi all
    Had my first test flight this morning and it went very well until i crashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the wind was about 8 - 15 mph it felt very solid in the air, i was flying without any payload, no gimbal or camera. i was mainly hovering and doing some small pitching and rolling turns just to get the feel of it, i was about 4 or 5 feet up when the lipo alarm sounded within a second the copter rolled to the right and flipped and hit the deck. i was using a nano tech 4s 3300 mAh battery, i checked the voltage after the crash and it was 13.8v and the cells were at 3.32 3.42 3.62 and 3.50 before it came off the charger i checked the cells and they were all even. could this be a case of good old lipo failure or do i have the wrong cut off setting in my cc ice 50 escs? i think i remember this happening once before. i have turned most of my new 13 xoars into fire wood. on the upside i was really happy with how the coax config was flying.
    i would love some help to get this problem sorted.
    cheers
    Daniel

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel sounds like you simply ran out of power. What setting do you have for the lipo alarm? Many batteries do fine until they get to about the 20% capacity range. Personally I have my alarm at 14.4. That gets me to about 20% and for battery longevity I don't like going any lower. If you find that the battery is now 'puffy', no longer its slim svelte tight plastic cover that would be a good indication that it was damaged from the discharge and should be retired.

19. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi Gary

That sounds right, i checked the data logger on one of the cc escs and at the time i crashed the voltage dropped to 12.7 triggering the cut off which is set to 3.2v per cell, it was set to soft cut off but there was nothing soft about it, and the lipo alarm must of been set to 3.2 per cell as well. i think i will reset the escs to cut at 3.0v per cell and up the lipo alarm way up, what do ya think? it is a good lesson in being aware of your voltage settings. i feel a bit stupid because it could have been avoided.
    thanks for the help Gary.
    cheers.

20. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

How is bringing it down compared to the flat in your opinion? My friend configured his Skyjib 8 as an X8 his analysis was that it was better in wind performance, as mentioned above. He felt that is was more squirely bringing it down. Do you have to really crank it at angle to get it down? I can see how vortex ring state issues could be exacerbated in vertical descents because of the disruption of air from 2 engines on the same axis versus the flat.