/dist/images/branding/favicon

FreeFly Future Developments

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Howard Dapp, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

"Rupture de stock" :rolleyes:

2. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

But now, we all knew the price of perfection...:cool:, anyway, congrats to Tabb and all the Freefly team for these marvels.
    Regretably, for me, they are out of budget for the moment. May be next year i hope...;)

3. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

This is one hell of a new tool!
    Next year the price will be lower, and there will be other similar options to choose from.
    Search the web for ¨bruchless gimbal¨ today, do the same search in a month or two, this technology is mowing so fast forward.
    I just hope Tabb does get some profit of his investment in time and monney before someone makes a clone.....

4. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

Wow I was shocked by this price. 2,500(with radian) to 15,000...

5. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Remember the price of the ¨first¨ cellphone, remember the price of the ¨first¨ pro dig camera....

6. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

I do remember the first cell phone and that was brand new technology. This is not new technology. This is brushless motors and a built in control boards which have been in CNC machines for years now. I understand it is new to gimbals and it is awesome for sure. I just cant see spending 15 thousand on a gimbal. Its like a kick to the junk. Everyone was excited for an awesome new toy which if released around the 7-9k mark would have been do able, but 15 thousand is probably out of the reach for 90% of people doing this hobby including myself. I guess the only ones that will be flying this rig will be professionals with big pocketbooks. Seems like we will just have to wait. :(

7. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

This is a pro tool indeed.
    And most of the people , this far, in the Multirotor AP field seem to be happy hobbyists.
    But the savings in both time and monney any pro film crew can make using a MöVI will pay for the gimbal very fast,
    compared to using ¨old¨tech tools.

8. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

This is the first for our applications brought to market and they can justify any price they want for this. I am pretty sure they might have priced themselves too high here though... also probably with the handheld configuration as well. Its going to play out but with all the DD gimbal development out there, this might not have been the smartest decision although understandable because the clone market will be right behind them within a few months. You gotta get your dues while you can.
    Ive got the money but its going towards Dragon upgrades on my Epic and Scarlet which for me will get way more mileage. So ya 15K is too steep when weighing it against my other costs.

9. Steve Maller

As with the Cinestar, and just about everything else, the market provides many options, as well as a leveling effect. If the product is overpriced, it'll fall, if it can. If Freefly have erred in spending too much money developing it, then they may be unable to compete with $1,000 DD gimbals. But, my strong suspicion is that the MōVI is a cut above (way above) all the other hobbyist offerings out there. Hoverfly have intro'd a DD gimbal, too, but I haven't seen pricing. They're likely to provide competition.

10. Brad McGiveron

Its really the markup that makes it too steep... not the price itself. Which is what I was trying to say.
    You don't think there's more than 5K of actual costs do you? Probably less.

But yes competition is good and the whole thing is a good shot in the arm for the industry.
    It going to play out either way:)

11. Steve Maller

"Actual costs?" If you mean the BOM (bill of materials), it'd be interesting to break that down. But you always have to factor in the man-hours that it took to develop it. And in this case, I'm sure Tabb and his minions spent a lot of time to get this done, and if you divide that into the number of units they'll sell in the first year or so, it's going to be a significant factor. Obviously none of us will know what that is, but from the reactions they're getting from people in the know, this is no weekend hack.

12. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

Remember when the DJI Zenmuse came out and that was 3500 dollars with BRUSHLESS motors...yeah not new technology once again. I understand it carries 2-3 cameras but it is only 3500 not 15k!!!!!!

13. Steve Maller

The Zenmuse is a bit of a hack. It is literally capable of carrying exactly one camera (and a really small one at that). Their big news at NAB is they're offering an "upgrade" for their GH2 gimbal to fly the GH3. But neither of those will fly the Sony NEX. Or anything bigger.

14. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

So when are you gonna get the MOVI hackair because I wanna know how this bad boy flies.

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Brad McGiveron

are you going to get one Steve ?

I wanna know who to pester with requests for raw footage:D

16. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

While the Movi technology is marvelous and perhaps the hand held gimbal is a bigger market for FF, I have to say I am disappointed that they have pretty well abandoned Radian within about 6 - 8 months of its introduction, leaving us early adopters with dead end investments. Even a DD retrofit to the existing gimbals with Radians would have been a nice intermediate to us who are not ready to commit another $15k to this 'project'. Admonishment: Remember to dance with the ones that brought you.

17. Steve Maller

Check this out. I flew my CS8 today, and its Radians still work, despite the fact that some have declared them obsolete. I just have to make sure my Radians and my gimbal do not read this forum, or they might just die of shame.

Moral to this story: if your stuff worked yesterday, it'll still work today. And tomorrow.
    Yes, there's always a prettier girl somewhere...but who cares?

18. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I agree Steve but you and I both know that while the Radians are working great, the servo/gear/belt system delivers less than perfect results. Replacing the servos with DD motors, driven by Radians would be a rational and effective improvement at what I think would be a more reasonable cost even with plenty of well-deserved markup.

Marc BRACELET likes this.
  19. Brad McGiveron

Whats been seen can't be unseen...
    It reminds me of the DOF adapters of a few years back. They were gone in literally a few months. Heck I got one here sitting in its death bed case.

Steve Maller likes this.
  20. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

So they have been for sale all morning at a 2500 dollar pre order and hopefully you get it sometime Q3. Have not see 1 sold yet. Doesn't look like they are moving that fast after everyone thinking this is the next best thing to hit planet earth...