/dist/images/branding/favicon

Another face palm: loose tilt belt

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

After disassembling and re-assembling the copter to correct some build mistakes, I noticed that my footage was still really bumpy, and after going over the copter again with a fine-tooth comb, I realized that the tilt belt was loose. I know that's a common problem, but it was subtle, and it wasn't until I looked at some before/after footage that I realized how much better it is now! Here's a quick sample...check your belts! :D

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've also noticed that sometimes the set screw on the large tilt pulley can work slightly loose and there is a play in the linkage between the pulley and the shaft that can make for poor tilt stabilization.

Andy.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

There are many factors to good stabilization... Great demo on how just one item can cause so much vibration. Thanks Steve

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Stupid newbee question: How do you tighten the belts?

5. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Dave,

Watch this video. It shows how to loosen the servos to remove or tighten belts. This same method applies to all servos/belts.
    The info your looking for starts around minute 3:50 in the video.
    !

No stupid questions on this forum...you should read some of the questions I've posted!

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris, I forgot about the black and white video's!!

7. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I noticed that as well. I found my Pan Pulley loose. Another thing I noticed is that the belt teeth get worn down as well, even though they look good, I compared my belt with a new one and noticed that the old ones teeth were a little bit shallower. I replaced the belt and it reduced, albeit not eliminate the gear chatter. It looks like belt driven woes will be over shortly. just saw QC unveiling the direct drive gimbal. It looks like it is a modified version of our current gimbal. They don't show an upgrade kit, but here's hoping since to help allot of us who already made the investment in the current setup. As far as I am concerned once I have a direct drive model, I don't see any utility in ever using the gear driven version.

8. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

A direct drive upgrade would be the cats...behind!

9. Steve Maller

Looking at the picture that's posted, I would guess that the only "upgrade" that'll be possible might be to re-use the boom arms, the camera mount and the landing gear of the 3-axis gimbal. But those parts are a small fraction of the cost of the gimbal, right? It looks like the new system may have the Radian functionality built-in, too. So I'm not holding my breath waiting for an "upgrade". Besides that, I only have a 2-axis gimbal at present. ;)

10. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Steve...could you post the pic here please? I didn't see it. 2-axis here as well.

11. Steve Maller

12. Shaun Stanton

Yeah it does look like they have reinvented the wheel a little. This one has wireless tuning capabilities, which must mean a new stabilization system, radian 2.0?. Oh well I guess I will find out next week at NAB. Most of the main structure minus servos, pulleys and belts look like the standard 3 axis. It looks like the components can be retrofitted, and the rest go to the dump.

13. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Just as I've managed to figure my current 3 axis out ... Now I'm going to have start all over again ... Can't wait. New toys are always cool!

14. Bill Ehman

Bill Ehman New Member

Steve,

Which camera were you using for this test?

15. Steve Maller

Canon 5D Mark III with 24/2.8 IS

16. Bill Ehman

Bill Ehman New Member

Thanks Steve. I don't really know much but I would have thought the gains needed to be higher than you have them. I'm glad you got it figured out though!

17. Shaun Stanton

Are you using the extension arms? I found that flying the MKII with a simple prime or a lighter variable lens, I cannot get the CG on the vertical AXIS forward enough. This is causing the dampers to always being uneven. I did some bench tests and noticed that on the 3 axis gimbal when panning that I am causing the dampers to bobble up and down as I pan because I am shifting the moment force from one damper to the other. I was surprised how aft CG the gimbal is even with a sizable camera.

18. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

19. Steve Maller

I don't have that problem. I have the new Adjustable Camera Rail on my 2-Axis gimbal and I have it dialed in with all the stock arms (no extensions). Blanaec up nicely in all dimensions.

20. Shaun Stanton

Thanks for the info, I ordered those on friday. Having them sent to NAB, so I can do a shoot for a client, not for NAB. I was just curious if Steve had those issues as well. I usually fly a heavy sigma lens that brings my CG forward. But my nifty fifty or my 28-135 ploy lens is too light.

But steve is not having those issues, I just realized that the mkIII is heavier than the II. You are right the extension arms will solve my issue by pushing the moment arm forward. I also think that my servo motor has finally stalled out. Even when my CG was off balance I used to be able to get better pans.

On another note it looks like the new gimbal will cost more than the CS8 and Radian gimbal put together.