/dist/images/branding/favicon

FreeFly Future Developments

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Howard Dapp, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Pavlos Antoniou

T
    Thank you :) :).. it a 550D with ML hack :) but i like the camcoders better for this kind of Job..! the problems with antiliasing is pissing me off..

This Tv Documentary is with 550D too :) on the Airshoots :)

2. Matt McCarthy

Matt McCarthy Member

Hold up Pavlos, I,m not trying to have a dig at you and this is what I meant,

1. Lets hope that there can be an upgrade to dd without a whole new gimble change ! But I do understand that in development sometimes for a superior upgrade there needs to be an equal upgrade of the vehicle that carries it. We all love the Cinestar Gimble because it is excellent and in my opinion far superior to what else is available.
    2. My point about price of things is linked to the fact that I do a lot of successful DIY and sometimes it can be challenging and sometimes pretty easy.
    3. I agree with you that the cinestar is a 'piece of art' and still very flexible in terms of usage and upgradable options or configurations for use but maybe I,m in the side of the boat that is open to having to also upgrade the vehicle (new gimble) which will support conclusively the new DD upgrade. If we can upgrade without having to change the gimble fantastic but if not then so be it . And if better quality is achieved I,ll always go for that option.

I use the 550d but don't have the ML hack but I can instantly see the difference ..i,m going to have to try that ! But no matter what you do to the 550d it will never have detail in the blacks and thats not good enough for me.

Your english is great :)

All good peace out
    Matt

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Pavlos, I 100% see your point but I personally don't think the CS Gimbal is a good candidate for a DD upgrade for heavier cameras (Canon DSLR w/Zeiss, C300, RED). We all can agree that it is a fine servo driven gimbal but I think there are a few areas in its construction (round tubing joined by plastic clamps/flexing etc.) that could potentially limit the accuracy, consistency and performance of a DD system. Yes, the "flighthead" design of the CS gimbal is a great candidate for DD, I just think the construction may pose some inconsistent performance in the long run.

4. Emanuele Chiocchio

As many here, we've personally built and (heavily) modified our Cinestar lifter and the 360 head. Just to say that I'm w/ Pavlos here: the tubes/clamps are a system like the LEGO: expandable and easily upgradable. Head stiffness is another world w/ the new aluminium frame and shaft clamps, try it to understand what I'm talking about. My opinion is that if FreeFly will not offer a turnkey upgrade to its 360 head, someone will. It's possible, it's needed.

5. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Work is already in progress :)
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/upgrading-the-cs-mount.681/page-3
    Regards.
    /Janne

6. Pavlos Antoniou

Simply the upgrade will have and some metal clampa thata all..:)

7. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Freefly promises something at NAB :)....and lots of it.

Attached Files:

Emanuele Chiocchio likes this.
  8. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Can't wait!!!! LEss then a month till NAB! Time to start saving... my girlfriend is going to kill me. lol

Josh

9. Emanuele Chiocchio

Consider yourself lucky, you're not the only one that will be killed by his girlfriend/wife! :D

10. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Looks like this ¨new¨ Bruchless DD thing is moving really fast forward, hope Tabb made us something even better :)

and;

Regards.

/Janne

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Ugg, I hate that ultra wide distorted gopro FOV. Results look good but would prefer to see something more in the 28-35mm range. SO mush happening with DD. These guys are progressing nicely with their brushed DSLR DD gimbal (no embedding permissions...click text to see video)

12. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Second that!
    Evalution of the stabilisation system is also much better and easier if you use a lens with moderate wideangle.

But what we look at here must be the way to go forward in gimbalstab.
    Just makes me wonder how long our ¨new¨ radian equipped 360 gimbals will be worth working with??
    11 monts ago the radian was something awesome, how much will they be worth after NAB 2013?

This maybe going the same way as cellphones and dig cameras, quality keep going upp and price goes down fast :)

Howard Dapp likes this.
  13. Josh Allen

Josh Allen New Member

We want some more info on Movi gimbal :)

14. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Josh, What do you want to know?

15. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

How much is it and when is it going to be available for purchase? Also will we still use the radian system for stabilization?

16. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

I can only quote what Tabb told me earlier;
    -I am afraid the Radians will not be usable, the new products are COMPLETELY different creation.

And watching what others show here on the web, new systems for gimbal stab are evolving fast theese days, and also the price seems going in the right direction :)

17. Brandon Loeser

As far as I've read... It will be announced at NAB. It's a completely new gimbal. No upgrading your existing gimbals. It has it's own built-in stabilization IMU. We'll just have to just sit and wait a week for more details... or keep poking the bear and maybe he'll just tell us :)

18. Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien Member

So basically its a plug and play system with no addons necessary like the radians? Is this going to be a small performance upgrade if your running the 3 axis gimbal with 3 radians or is the movi and HUGE performance upgrade?

19. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Cant forget when some years ago Kodak lowered the price of a DCS 560.
    A Kodak rep patted my shoulder and said,
    -Now is the time to shop, it aint gone get any cheaper than this!
    The price was after rebate only 19.900 USD....for a 6 mp camera....

20. Josh Allen

Josh Allen New Member

Estimated price range and date of release would be a great start :)

Which camera was used in the promo film?