/dist/images/branding/favicon

Video interference and blackout

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

I have a Passport Diversity 5.8 receiver and a stinger Pro 250w 5.8 AVD Transmitter. I am constantly getting static and at times, total video black out. I've tried moving the transmitter to different locations with the same results. It's being powered off the main battery, a QC8000mAh.
    Would a separate power source or lobe antennas clear up this issue? I have a 2 axis gimbal.

Heres a short video showing the drop out. This is constantly happening.

Thanks!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Chris:

I'm surprised to see that much interference when you've only got a few feet between the Tx and Rx. You might consider these steps to improve the situation -- and you are obviously already thinking about them:

1. Using a BEC to provide a clean source of power to the Video Tx rather than having it on the main flight battery. There's a fair amount of noise sizzling on the main power feed.

2. Move to the lobe antennas -- e.g. Blue Beam.

If the problem persists that would tend to point at a problem elsewhere in the system (e.g. camera, display, or wiring). If you happen to have a spare camera or display, it would be good to swap them out just to see if they're the cause.

Andy.

3. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hi Andy.
    I've ruled out cameras and displays/connections. I was experiencing this on my 5DMKII so I switched over to the FPV cam...same results. Besides the monitor in the video I uploaded, I also have a 7" Marshall mounted on the MX-20...again, same results.
    Finally, I took the heat shrink off and separated the power and video lines . I thought that this might be causing interference (l know to never lay power lines over audio lines...bad static), but still the same.
    Which BEC and battery would you recommend?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris I use a Zippy 3S 2500 with no BEC. The FPV camera that i have can handle up to 15v. Power goes into the Iftron TX and has a pass thru of the power to the camera. Definitely gives cleaner video output. I just put the battery next too my flight batteries.

I have heard of folks using the DPCAV line filter if they are using power from the main battery bus.

I usually do get some static when I am in the house testing. Probably a bit of overload with the TX/RX being so close.

When flying if you start to see dropouts or static at reasonable distances think about changing the antennas to the BlueBeam wire antennas. I posted some testing on Graupner control distances and I was getting a good signal out past 1.5 miles. With the caveat that I run the Mondo Extreme at 1.5 watts.

5. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks Gary. Seems like an over seas order through Hobby King and what I found on Ebay. I'll look for something comparable in the US...can't wait tat long.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

7. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Excellent....Thanks! How long before having to recharge?
    Trying to figure out how many to get....

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I have 3 of them. They run an easy hour of flight time. So 10-20 flights. Unless you were doing one flight after another I would think all day. They are pretty cheap. I use a deans connector for the video side since it is small and light. The battery will come with two molex connectors plus the balancer molex. I clipped off the small molexes and joined the 2 plus wires and the two ground wires onto the deans.

9. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Chris did you also order a right angle adapter? If you place the receiver on the back of case or otherwise horizontally mounted you will need a right angle adapter for the antenna on the receiver to keep it vertical. Might need the same for the TX depending on how you have it mounted.

Nice find on the BEC. Nice price also.

11. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks!
    I did. I ordered one for all three antennas. I'm thinking of moving the Stinger from the gimbal to the rear landing gear, but then theres the whole balancing thing again and I'm sure the gimbal would have to move quite a bit forward to compensate for all that extra weight in the arse!

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I mount mine from a boom. Has worked very well. Simple piece of aluminum bent around a broom handle, lined with felt, Stinger mounted to it. Held on with a couple of velcro straps.

IMG_0957.JPG

13. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Very cool...and where do you mount the battery?

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

In just set it on the regular battery tray next to whatever flight battery(s) I am using. I take the the cable from the Iftron up the boom and put a a JST on the end. I have a JST to Deans adapter that I use to connect to the battery. Reason for the JST is that I originally was using power from the PDB with JST's. And the wire from the Iftron wasn't quite long enough to reach to the Zippy battery.

15. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Nice setup...I'll give it a try! Thanks!

16. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I have never been happy with our 5.8Ghz setup. I have tried all sorts of different options, antennas, mounting locations, ect. Ill be switching all my stuff over to 1.2ghz.

Josh

17. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Ive had a 5.8 for 2 years and never had good reception. Terrible in fact, 150-200ft with almost constant static. Ive also had a 1.2 for the last year and have no issues with that. I sent my 5.8 in for a checkup and received excellent support from Iftron and the crew there.

I have been putting off testing the 5.8 for a few weeks now but after seeing this thread I thought id try a few things. I just did a test with my setup below:

transmitter- black and red power going to a JST connector then a Deans and on to a QC 1200 pack.
    transmitter- yellow and black to a JST and then on to the Canon cable into the 5D.

I stuck this all on my Glidecam and went for a walk. Much better reception than on my copter. No static, no dropouts with the stock antenna.

So, the difference besides physical location is the wiring. On the copter I have one QC1200 split with power going direct to the transmitter and the other split going to a BEC for the Radians/servos. I was trying to keep the weight down by using one battery but it looks like this could be the source of my frustration.

Brad

18. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Yesterday, I emailed support at Iftron with my issue and his reply was, "The system was never designed to run off the main battery...theres to much dirty power. It's intended for it's own clean power supply". I never knew that...nothing mentioned in any instructions I read. I think they just assume that we're aware of this, when in fact, we think we bought a system made on a Friday just before closing shop for the weekend.

19. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Ah.. welcome to the world of Multicopters. Before Freefly, instructions and specs on any type of equipment was nonexistent or vague at best.

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brad I did the same split, Radian/Servo/TX and that lasted all of one flight :). Servos make a bunch of noise don't they?

That being said my Graupner range test last month I was getting good video at 1.5 miles, albeit with the Mondo Extreme at 1.5w. Blubeam antennas.