/dist/images/branding/favicon

RADIAN SOFTWARE .problem on my pc

Discussion in 'Radian' started by kjetil tønnesen, Sep 21, 2012.

1. kjetil tønnesen

HELLO
    WHEN I SHAL open the software i get this message

POTENSIALLY UNSAFE FILE

what can i do to open it
    thanks

2. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Looks like your Anti-Virus software doesn't like the Radian.
    You could turn it off to test.

3. kjetil tønnesen

ok i am pist off now:-(

i dont get the software to work
    now i get this message:run time error 339
    component mscom32 ocx or one of it´s dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing og invalid
    :-(

why cant they make a software for the apple mac
    thats always work well

thanks

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Kjetl:
    I did a Google search for: run time error 339 for you -- I was curious as to what was causing it.
    There are quite a few hits, but this seems quite promising: http://www.myruntimeerror.com/runtime-error-339

I suspect that the Windows Registry on your machine may have become corrupted. It's not the first time I've seen that kind of problem -- and when that corruption happens, this is the kind of message you see, I'm afraid.

Hope that helps.
    Andy.

5. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

Please help

I just got the radian, and it doesnt comunicate with computer.... do i need to install a DRIVER like the one for the MK usb?

Cant connect!

thanks for your time

dniel

6. kjetil tønnesen

ok thanks for the help
    i am a apple man so i am not good at windows

what do i do then?

7. Richard Dobson

Richard Dobson New Member

I can't seem to get the computer to connect to the pan Radian stab. Tried all the com ports with no luck. Double checked all connections. The computer running Windows 7 starter does not reconize that anything has been plugged in. Tried usb to just the widget no luck. Tried disconnect/connect power Radian no luck. Radian shows solid green with orange flashing. USB widget single bright green. Tried to plug into Mac just to see if it would see the widget, still nothing.
    Any ideas?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've switched over to Macs in large part because of these kinds of problems. The do, of course, happen on Macs, but with much less frequency. (And no, I'm not trying to start a flame-war about the relative merits of Windows vs. Mac/Darwin, I'm just explaining why I switched. ;) )

What I would suggest doing is another search for something like
    windows 7 repair registry
    or
    windows xp repair registry

This brings up quite a lot of different utility programs that can be used to clean up the Windows registry. I've not had to use these utilities, so I cannot make a specific recommendation, I'm afraid.

Alternatively, if you don't have a lot of software installed on the Windows computer (and therefore it would not take too long to rebuild the system), just re-install Windows and start over. Then make an image backup of your system disk so you can "refresh" the system from that the next time your is subject to Winrot (see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Winrot ). Again, do a Google search for something like
    windows 7 backup system image
    or
    windows xp backup system image

For Windows 7 it looks pretty easy: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/
    For Vista and XP this appears to cover it: http://www.trainsignal.com/blog/creating-backup-image-in-vista-and-xp

Hope this helps, too.
    Andy

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Can you confirm that you installed the FTDI drivers so that the COM ports in Windows can talk to the USB ports on your computer?
    If you did not, then head over to http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm and select the correct driver for your operating system.

To confirm that all is well, with the FTDI drivers installed and the USB cable NOT plugged into your computer, open up the Device Manager (via the Control Panel), and look for the section on the screen marked Ports (COM & LPT). If the Radian adapter is the only USB device on your computer this section will not be present.

Now plug in the USB cable and the Radian adapter. Do you hear the Windows "be-bong" tones? That says that the system has recognized the USB device. The section Ports (COM & LPT) should now appear in the Device Manager window. Click on the arrow head to the left of the Ports (COM & LPT) and it will reveal the USB device and tell you what COM port Windows is using for it.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

10. kjetil tønnesen

thanks alot of all help
    i wil try this

11. Richard Dobson

Thank you for your quick response,
    I would have never guessed I needed to install anything other than the Radian software.
    So I went to your link and started reading

1 Introduction
    This application note describes advanced driver settings and operations for FTDI's CDM Windows driver. This is intended to be a reference for experienced engineers developing products incorporating FTDI devices and drivers who are experts with FTDI devices.
    If you are unsure about any of the features described in this document, please do not change any of your driver files or registry settings and seek assistance from FTDI Support.

Oh Boy, I am not a expert with FTDI devices. Actually its the first time I ever heard of them. Does that stand for Flying ToDay Impossible Device?)
    I'm not sure if I need a VCP driver or a D2XX. (It's a brand new windows 7 machine bought just for copter use.)
    Since I had a 50/50 chance I downloaded the VCP (it was first on the list)
    Oh crap, ZIP file.
    Okay got it. None of the files say CLICK HERE. Or have .exe extensions. Which one do I open/install?
    In the CDM 2.08.24 WHQL Certified.zip folder there is a Static folder that has a amd64 folder with the biggest file named ftd2xx.lib. Is that it?

Can you walk me through this or do I need to seek assistance from FTDI support?

12. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Another life long mac user.. windoz only for tasks like this.. So let me get this right. I have down loaded the Radion software bur it wont connect to the USB thingymabob. I now have to go find a driver! Is this correct?

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

And you thought the world of video was the only one with secret handshakes and things you just have to know because nobody will tell you, eh? <evil grin>

VCP : Virtual com port.
    COM : Short for communications -- meaning the electronics to get zeroes and ones in and out of the computer system.
    Port : A hole in the side of a microprocessor (chip/box/whatever) in and out of which flows data.
    Virtual: It ain't really there (as in your computer doesn't have the traditional serial ports of yesteryear signified by the RS-232 DB-25 or more recently DB-9 connectors).
    Driver : a chunk of computer program inside the operating system (e.g. Windows) that fits between the actual hardware and the higher level functions of the operating system....these used to be called Device Drivers which makes their purpose a little more clear, but we in the computer business feel threatened that others will learn our secret knowledge, so we change the names of things ;) .

So the actual data flow is goes something like this (I'm oversimplifying and also omitting the secret world of software installation, "registration" etc. but bear with me):

1. MK Tool (or Radian software) talks to the Windows operating system to send and receive data via what it "thinks" is a COM port (it's really now just a concept rather than a physical port).
    2. The operating system then looks around inside itself and discovers a device driver that allegedly sends and receives data from COM ports -- in this case the FTDI Virtual COM Port driver, so Windows transfers control of the microcomputer CPU to the driver to send and receiver data.
    3. The FTDI Virtual COM Port driver is a lyin', cheatin' piece of software. There ain't no stinkin' COM Ports! But what the FTDI Virtual COM Port drivers do is make use of the USB (Universal Serial Bus) sockets on your computer and make them appear to Windows as though they were COM ports.
    4. So the FTDI Virtual COM Port driver sends and receives data out of the COM port that the original application program (MK Tool or the Radian Software) specified -- but it does so using the physical USB socket, making it look like a COM port to the Radian software which is only too happy to get data in and out and simply doesn't care that its "COM port" is a USB cable running out to the Radian adapter thingy.
    5. With luck and a following wind, the FTDI Virtual COM port driver will be making the USB connection to the Radian adapter thingy appear on the correct COM port (10).
    6. If the Radian adapter does not appear as COM 10 (which is usually the case for me), then you have to use the Windows Device Manager to find out what damned COM port the FTDI Virtual COM Port Driver is presenting the Radian adapter thingy to Windows this time. For example it might be, oh, COM 11. (Why COM 11? In my case it was because I deliberately tried to force the Radian thingy to be on COM 10 -- and in a fit of perversity Windows 7 now thinks that COM 10 is occupied so that when I connect up the Radian thingy, it selects the next available COM Port. COM 11. Grrrr..)
    7. Once you figure out which COM Port the Windows Device Manager is reporting that the FTDI Virtual COM Port driver is actually presenting the Radian thingy on, then you can set the Radian software appropriately and click the connect button.
    8. Then the sun comes out. The Radian software talks via a Virtual COM Port to the Radian adapter thingy and you can program up the Radian sensor.

With the above in mind, if you look at http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm you'll see the (now hopefully comprehensible) words:
    Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers cause the USB device to appear as an additional COM port available to the PC. Application software can access the USB device in the same way as it would access a standard COM port.

Sorry about the long-winded explanation. To paraphrase Sam Clemens/Mark Twain, I didn't have time to write a shorter one. :)

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

14. Richard Dobson

Andy, Thanks for the great explanation.
    So how do I get FTDI into the machine? Download from web site needs more explanation.
    I have gone to the website and downloaded I believe two drivers. D2XX version 2.08.24 from the chart and VCP version 2.08.24 from the chart on that page.
    They made it to Winzip. I believe something needs to happen at this point. Open one of the files maybe? Which one?
    I tried again to plug in the USB but still nothing.
    Tried running Radian program. Nothing.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry....I overlooked the install process. If you have unzipped the files, you should see several files, two of which are ftdibus.inf and ftdiport.inf.

If you click right on ftdibus.inf, the second menu item (under Windows 7) is "Install" -- select that.
    Then do the same process on ftdiport.inf.

Yeah. The above steps are the secret handshake. Sorry. ;)

Then, UNPLUG the USB cable to the Radian adapter and restart your machine.

When you have restarted the machine, open up the Device Manager (use the Start button, select Control Panel, then locate the System icon (lower left hand side), select it, look at the top left-hand corner of the window and you will see Device Manager.

Look for the section in the Device Manager called "Ports (COM & LPT)" -- it may not be displayed if the Radian Adapter is your computer's only USB device. If there are already other USB devices assigned to COM ports, make a note of what they are -- when you plug in the USB cable to the Radian adapter, a new USB device will appear and your mission is to figure out which is the new one!

Either way, leave the Device Manager window open, and plug in the Radian Adapter's USB cable to your computer. You should hear the Windows "be-bong" tone indicating that Windows has recognized the Radian USB adapter.

Now check the Device Manager window -- the should definitely be a "Ports (COM & LPT)" section. Click on the arrow head to the left of the "Ports (COM & LPT)" text and it will reveal "USB Serial Port (COMxx)" where xx is the number of the COM port.

Start up the Radian software. If xx above was other than 10, then use the Window menu item in the Radian software, and select Comms Link from the menu (it's the last one on the list). Set the Com port to match what the Device manager is showing you -- the xx value.

The Radian software should now be communicating with the Radian USB adapter.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

16. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Andy..what a great waist of your time but very entertaining and nice to know others out there are fighting the boody driver thingymabob!

Richard..

I would have tossed my toy out of the pram and spat my dummy out if it had not been for Zaxis. He was a star. He dialled in to my computer installed the thingmabob and sorted the com ports out.. now its working and tomorrow flight testing.

All I can say is its a right faff. but what I remembered he saved the unzipped driver stuff into a new folder. Plugged in the Radion USB, found it in the devices, clicked install driver, navigated to the folder he saved in my downloads folder, highlighted the folder and clicked insatall. He did not open the folder. He then had to go back to the device manager and do it again for the second part of the thinymabob...

He then assigned port 10 to the Radion USB and bingo.. it lives.. Bloody Windoze

Anyhow hope my vaige Mac head explanation points you in the right direction.

Dave

17. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Richard, Andys post hit the thread before mine so he gets the trophy point I guess..

Andy I am sure your Forensic abbility is going to come in useful again.. Good post

Dave

18. Richard Dobson

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Dave.
    I've got pleasant (but aging) memories of The Hop Vine in Burscough....quite good food as I recall. Beer good too....
    I'm originally from Sheffield, but that thing with the Roses was a long time ago, right? :)

Andy.

20. Richard Dobson

Thanks Dave.

Who is this ZaXis? Where do I find a ZaXis?
    I have the unzipped driver stuff. UDS, in a new folder labeled FTDI. Pretty sure I got the right stuff. ftdichip.com/drivers/cdm/cdm%20204.16%20Whql%20certified.zip
    Plug in USB cable into 2.0 USB outlet on my ASUS netbook running windows 7 netbook.
    Connected USB to 5 pin micro USB connector into the Radian adapter. aka WORT (Writing On Radian Thingy)
    WORT lights single green LED.
    Computer does nothing.
    Open Radian software. All 18 com ports are invalid.
    No device seen in Device manager.

Try something different
    Power on Radian. 1200mah 11.1v 3c Lipo battery Connected to Castle BEC connected to Radian #1 brown on right
    Connect cable to Radian #'s 5 and 6 brown on right top. Connect other end to WORT brown to the right (smooth side).
    Connect USB to windows machine and then to WORT
    Nothing happening. No device in device manager.
    Open Radian software. All 18 com ports are invalid.
    Radian solid green light with flashing orange, WORT solid green.

Could I have a bad WORT?