/dist/images/branding/favicon

Guys with the CX760 LANC question - Sony HDR-PJ790 no lanc???

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Dave King, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I just got my new HDR-PJ790 and it doesn't have a LANC interface on the camera. Just a multi connector with no cable. Do you guys with the CX760 have the same connector? I was told this camera is the same as the 760 except for the projector.

sony 790.jpg

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

See my answer over on your other thread. They have changed the connector. Doesn't look like they have anything in this price range that uses LANC.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh great.
    The CX-760 has a D-shape connector that is identified as an "A/V Remote Connector" that supports LANC.

It looks like this "upgrade" is actually a down-grade. I think you may be out of luck unless there is something in the user guide that suggests this has a remote control capability.

You can still control the camera using the IR port on the front of the camera, or you might want to return it and get the HDR-CX760V (which is still available -- it's the model with the projector built in).

Andy.

4. Dave King

I confirmed with Sony today on the phone no LANC capability for this model or any other model. This contradicts what they told me on the phone. They said it was exactly the same but with the built in projector. I'm kinda screwed because I bought the insurance coverage that covers accidently damage and I don't think that's refundable. I couldn't find the CX760 new anywhere that would sell the extended coverage.

For those that use the LANC cable with their 760, does your pilot find the manual zoom capability as a good feature? I assume it works really good.

THIS SUCKS!

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Where did you buy it? If from Sony they will refund everything. Same with Amazon.

6. Dave King

I bought it from B&H. I'm not worried that they would take it back as much as I wanted to get the breakage warranty for the CX760. I got 3 years for $220 on the 790. If it ends up in a lake or crashes its covered. I can get the CX760 new on Amazon but not with the warranty.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

See if you can get the warranty direct from Sony.

8. Dave King

I'll call in the AM.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave you might check the Gentles Limited site HERE. They have an up to date list of LANC models.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

11. Dave King

Gary thanks for that reference and all your help!!! That site shows the HDR760 with the older connector. The 790 shows "2013 connector" which isn't available yet.

12. Dave King

Andy when I saw your first post above in this thread and you referenced the HDDRPJ760V I thought you were mixed up with the 790 or meant to say that the CX760 was still available. I didn't realize they had a newer 760 in the PJ series. I "think" this model will work and I can just exchange it but I have to double check to make sure that it's the same processor, lens, sensor etc. I just checked Sony's site and its down right now so I'll check in a bit.

13. Dave King

The reviews look really good. It's been discontinued already on Sony's website but thanks to you guys I'm going to snatch this up on Amazon.

14. Dave King

I placed the order with Amazon this morning. I will have it Wednesday. Thanks for the tip on the other 760!

15. Dave King

I got the HDR-PJ760 yesterday and it has the correct connector for Lanc control. I just thought of something, if anyone in the future wants to get a new Sony with Lanc control it will be very hard to track down a cx760 or PJ760 unless they want to buy used. The entire 2013 prosumer line has no lanc control. I bought mine just in time.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dave: The next challenge is finding a cable with the Sony D-connector for the camera that also breaks out the Composite video for downlink and the LANC connector for the Gentled lancPro. Did you find such a cable yet -- I've only just had time to start looking?

Andy

17. Dave King

I was just planning on using the Sony Lanc cable that quadrocopter sells http://www.quadrocopter.com/Sony-LANC-Ctrl-Camera-Remote-Control_p_624.html

I"m not familar with the Gentled Lanc Pro and even had a hard time looking at under google. Is it one of the units on this page? http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/news/index.htm

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Dave: Thanks. I think you ordered the correct product. The Gentled has just a 2mm circular jack, but the one you ordered already has the D-connector at the camera end and the composite video output. I'll order the one you quote in the first URL.

Thanks
    Andy.