/dist/images/branding/favicon

trouble with initial configuration radian + spectrum dx8

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Rick Marcus, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Rick Marcus

Rick Marcus New Member

I am having trouble with the first step of initializing and configuring the radian modules. I am using the spectrum dx8 and am not sure if I have my wiring correct.

I have the ffusb plugged in to the pan servo and then the rest daisy-chained from there. Do I need to do the set-up plugged in to each module separately, or can I do it all daisy-chained?

Also, what do the lights on the modules mean? Green? Blinking green? blinking green and yellow?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. Rick Marcus

Rick Marcus New Member

Sorry, I meant "plugged in to the pan radian module" above. Not servo.

3. John Cunningham

Hi Rick,

You need to configure each Radian individually - which means plugging the programmer cable into them one at a time.

The daisy-chain is for the SBUS or Spektrum receivers : you just connect them to the first module and it passes the information out to the next one down the line.

For the lights:
    Green Fast-Flash : IMU is initialising (keep the module still)
    Green slow flash : The motor drive is turned off (it will do this automatically if it detects a problem with orientation)
    Yellow Fast-Flash : Motor drive initialising. All motor drive setup is automatic so the module detects both the servo direction and the null-pulse.
    Yellow slow flash: IMU module self-test failure : if it does this every time you power up, the module has a fault.
    When it is operating normally the green LED is solid. If the SBUS/PPM/Spektrum data is valid then the yellow one lights solid too.

I think this is in the manual somewhere - but it doesn't hurt to have it here on the fourm.

4. Rick Marcus

Rick Marcus New Member

Thanks John for help.

So am I right in thinking that the wiring diagram for the initialization should be: battery -> 5vBEC -> spectrum receiver -> radian......and then repeat this individually for each radian.

I tried to do this earlier but was missing the 5vBEC out of the equation. Is it possible that I was sending too much voltage to the radian and this was causing an issue?

5. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Rick,

Yes, this is correct for the initial setup. Once all three are configured then the 5v through the receiver will daisy chain out to each radian and servo.
    Greetings,
    Adam

6. John Cunningham

Hey Rick,

If you are just using a Spektrum satellite receiver, the Radian provides the regulated power through that special connector so you would plug the power directly into the first Radian module.

If it is a normal PWM output receiver then you can plug the power it to it and daisy chain things like Adam says.

The Radian works on a pretty large voltage range - from about 3 up to 12 volts is OK.

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Just a note....FF servos can take a max of 6V, so while the Radian can handle higher the servos cannot.

Thanks!

Tabb

8. Rick Marcus

Rick Marcus New Member

Thanks, all, for the responses. It looks like I sent a little too much juice to the pan servo before I had the 5vBEC in the mix and fried it. I have another one on the way. I have made the corrections to the power flow with the other servos and it seems I am heading in the right direction. Now, on to the fine tuning....I am sure I will have many more questions.

Thanks again,

Rick

9. Cedric Duchateau

Cedric Duchateau New Member

So ... Does that mean that when using a spektrum satellite we can just plug 7.4V into the input 1 of the first radian (roll in my case (2 axis)), and it will regulate 5V to the FF servo? Or not?

Thank you.

Edit: OK... Sorry for this useless post... I found an answer in the first point of the radian faq!

1. What is the operating voltage of the Radian?
    The Radian can accept input voltages from 3V to 12V. The Radian will pass it's input voltage on to the servos. Please note that the Freefly Servos are rated for a 6V MAXIMUM input voltage, so if you are using Radian on a CineStar gimbal then 6V is the max input voltage.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Cedric:
    No sweat on the post -- you were kind enough to also post the answer, so someone else with the same question will benefit. :)

Andy.