/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lanc Controller for FS700 not working with Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tristan Twisselman, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Edit: SOLUTION at bottom of thread.

Thoughts? Is it not even possible to use the Lanc controller with the radian? I have it all setup in the radian pan software to use channel 6 on my transmitter to control, using the gear switch for on/off, the aux channel is moving +-100 in the radian software but the camera is not starting or stopping recording...did I get a bad cord, am I doing something obvious wrong, or is it not possible to use the land controller with the Radian? Thanks

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

My MK LANC is connected to my Graupner GR24, not the MK boards. It works fine that way. Don't know how/if it'd work connected to a Radian.

4. Tristan Twisselman

So would it be safe to assume it would work when using a seperate receiver with the radians instead of just a spektrum satellite? or Will it not work with what I have at all, ideally it would work with the Radian and spektrum satellite so I dont have a clutter of wires, I wish there was more info on this in the product description.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, why not plug the LANC controller directly into the GR-24? Why run it through the Radian sensor?

Alternatively, have you set the AUX port on the Radian sensor to which you have the Radian Sensor connected to respond to Channel 6?

Andy.

6. Tristan Twisselman

Cause I don't have the gr-24. Camera op is using dx8 and a spektrum satellite for gimbal. Which is why I have to use a radian to plug it in. Unless I wire the radians with a full receiver instead in which I still don't know if it would work. Radian setup for aux is correct because when I flip my switch the aux tab moves from -+100 as it should, just the camera doesn't start recording.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Aha. Sorry. Didn't realize the exact config and the prior reference to the GR24 confused me but it was Steve's setup not yours. Sigh.

So let's start over:
    Which LANC controller are you using please? There are several choices.
    Also which radio receiver?

When you plug the LANC controller directly into the receiver, assuming you can do that, does it then work?

Thanks
    Andy

8. Tristan Twisselman

Currently using just a spektrum satellite with my radians. I haven't tried setting it all up using an ar8000 but I do have one I can use if it will help. I'm using the lanc 142. The one for 75$ from quadrocopter.com that Jeff uses in his fs700 video but mine didn't come with an led.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Understood. This one: http://www.quadrocopter.com/LancPro-Camcorder-Control_p_774.html
    I'd certainly try using it with a non-satellite receiver -- that is a conventional three wire output receiver.
    I'm trying to find ways that take the Radian sensor out of the situation so we can verify whether it's the GentWIRE lancPro that's the problem, the cable or what.

Andy.

10. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

If I were only home and not sitting in a random hotel I could help. My system is setup just like yours Tristan and I intended to use it through a Radian also. I won't get to look into this until Monday.

11. Tristan Twisselman

Thank you both. Andy, I hooked up the lanc to the ar8000 i have sitting here and it works fine so i guess it isn't possible to use with the radian? The way it works is basically the plug with all 3 wires gets plugged in to any port supplying power and then the single wire plug gets plugged into whatever channel your using to control it, which is the gear channel for me. I dont know all the in depth technical stuff with signals etc but is there any reason the Radian cant do this? I mean, if it is supplying power in ports 5 or 6 and i use port 2 for aux and its showing up as controlling the aux channel in the radian software, i just dont understand why it wouldnt work.

12. Tristan Twisselman

OK, looking at the wiring diagram for using my ar8000 with the radians...what a wiring mess, just to be able to use this Lanc cable which is a necessity unfortunately because we are using the fs700 basically just for slow mo and it needs to be wirelessly triggered just before or after the shot. Thoughts on why the Lanc cable doesnt work with the radians?

13. Tristan Twisselman

Got it! I had to leave the house for some errands but just before I left I got it to work. Thanks to an old post of yours actually Andy haha. Been searching high and low and found a post about you saying the lanc cable needs to be using the 2nd channel on 2 of the radians. :)

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Tristan, can you post a link to that thread here for others who may have the same issue.

15. Tristan Twisselman

16. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

How about I just move the thread over to the Radian section instead of creating more threads. Thanks for posting!

17. Tristan Twisselman

Solution was running both plugs, the one wire and the 3 wired plugs to port 2 on 2 separate radians. Then in the Radian Software in the Aux box under Input channels, one radian needs to have the channel your switch is on and the other one can be a random channel, for me it is 5 and 6. Dont ask me why but mine would not work unless I set it up like this. Hopefully this helps some people :)

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad I was able to help (even from the past!)

Andy.

19. Dave Wilkinson

Dave Wilkinson New Member

We are trying to use the Gentiles "gentWIRE-lancPRO" lanc controller (as used by Jeff@Quadrocopter in his video using a standard Rx) but with Radians running on a Spektrum satellite - but with no success (we know works ok with standard Rx but, of course don't want a third Tx/Rx pair!!!).
    Is it likely that, as with the MK lanc controller we would need to use channel 2 on two separate Radians?
    Thanks

20. Tristan Twisselman

Did you read my post above Dave?