/dist/images/branding/favicon

C300 mounting

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Colin, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Hi Gary. Can definitely see how the foam would cause that. I was gonna wait till I get the new AD gimbal before I do any further testing. It's raining here for the next couple days and by the time it stops I should have the new gimbal. Are you saying I should remove the rubber dampening rings on the AD gimbal before I use it?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

No. Just the foam on the between the camera plate and the camera. Looking forward to photos of how the AD plates all attach. Hard to tell from their website but it looks like the rails attach to the CS vibration dampers. And then the clamps to the rails. Hoping that you get good results.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Interesting to see they are still using the clear plastic to mount the gimbal to the copter. That was a point of failure a few times on my AD-6.

I would be interested to see how the gimbal and Radians do without any vibration isolation (gel pads, foam) and hard mounted. I'm not experienced in the droidworx/ CS gimbal combo. It may take a good bit of trial and error to get the results your looking for.

4. Colin

Colin Member

Gary, I know you have been following the threads between Ben and myself. We both have the exact same set-up built by the same person.
    We both have the exact same issues from start to finish. Even the vibration issues are the same. So when it comes to this thread all inputted help is assisting both Ben and myself. We have been working on the strength of the answers together. At this stage I think we can agree that the issues are gimbal related. Solve this we are home and dry. Hopefully the echo will be the answer to the vibration shake. Who knows someone else could well be in the same boat as us. Our props have been changed to 15x6 from 15x4 so hopefully that will give an extra bite as well. Fingers crossed

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Colin I can understand your frustration. Keep giving us updates. Photos always help.

6. Colin

Colin Member

OK team. Been in the air for the first time with the new 15x6 props. Some downdraft now!! But we had issues, let me explain. We had an opportunity to run some video inside a newly constructed swimming pool. This is a massive site including a 50m pool. Footage would have been awesome. The heat at pool side was insane at least 33* far too warm.
    However we took off in ATTI and immediately noticed some serious drift in the copter. Staying in one spot wasn't going to happen. In fact it was extremly difficult to control the skyjib. We normally fly in GPS, but that wasn't possible being under a metal roof. Every input saw the copter fly very coarsely in the opposite direction. It must be the props so we changed them back to the 15x4's. No difference. Best solution was to abandon the flight for fear of loosing everything in 20ft of water.
    So we headed outside, flying in GPS everything as it should be, no problems so switched to ATTI, back to serious drift again. Is this normal and does my pilot need to go back to basis of learning to fly with GPS making matters to easy. Or is our system setup incorrectly.
    Thank you in advance

7. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Ahh I know that problem, it only happens when you shut off any autopilot input....the issue is called flying unassisted;)

8. Colin

Colin Member

As long as I know there's nothing wrong, I can sort that with a few flights hopefully. Its a shock after relying on GPS until now.

9. Howard Dapp

Colin, I wasn't 100% serious but I do think there is some truth to my comment. Flying with autopilot on 100% of the time then switching to manual will be like riding a bike for the first time without training wheels:D. Your reflexes and response time are relaxed because you're so use to the heli flying itself.

10. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Turn off the atti, GPS and fly in manual or learn to. The pressure sensor must have been going mad in that humidity with Atti on so you need to run with everything off.

11. Howard Dapp

Pretty much what Brad said. I didn't want to come straight out and say "Learn how to fly!":D In all seriousness, the horror stories I've read about random fly-aways and uncommanded throttle spikes due to atti/gps I'd be terrified using it at all! There's nothing like controlling your own destiny...or crash, no one to blame but yourself. I'll shut up now.

12. Brad McGiveron

Yes so true on the issues and stories Howard. They scare me:eek:

I use atti/gps seldom and only for things like position waiting for action or some emergency orientation issues when the copter gets in real bad visual.
    It does fly smoother as well when you get the hang of unassisted controls... there are places for some assist use while filming. Just not as a crutch

13. Brad McGiveron

Ben, Colin... Any updates on how your guys setups are going ?

14. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Hey Brad. I finally got to swap out my adapter plate and retracts a week or so ago and do a couple test flights. It made a big difference! I was flying in about 17-18mph winds so it was getting knocked around a fair amount but the footage was still remarkably smooth compared to what I had before. That was still with the 16-35mm lens as well. I guess the carbon adapter plate is a lot stiffer and the vibration dampening works well. Having the fixed landing gear is working out a lot better too. I've got a 2 day shoot Thursday/Friday so i'll have so more chance to see the difference. I'll try get some footage up from that on here. I've also just got some 6s batts through which I haven't had a chance to try yet but will try out on this shoot hopefully. All positive anyway.

15. Brad McGiveron

Good to hear:)

16. Colin

Colin Member

Brad. Not as yet. We were waiting to hear how Ben got on. Now its over to Phil to sort out what we need to do.

17. Colin

Colin Member

Guys, back again. As you all know Ive had a major headache with our system from day one. Well we could never get away from shaky video no matter what we did changed or replaced. So this time we purchased the echo mount from allied drones and today was our first flight. I must say the design and quality is super.
    However a very disappointing result as you'll see from the video attached. During this video Radians are OFF.
    Please any help would be appreciated Im just totally distraught now and penniless. Is this a COG problem as I havent altered any copter settings at all. I look forward to any assistance or thoughts you may have.

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Colin, assuming that the camera is balanced following the guidelines in the videos from Tabb, that the gimbal is balanced along with the frame as shown in the videos the only other items are the props/motors being in balance. If you have a GoPro that you can mount on one of the arms that might supply some information. In the past I have mounted one on the rear boom pointed forward so that I can try and determine whether it is the frame shaking or something else going on.

No experience with the Echo but how many isolators do you have installed and what hardness. Also do the Echo rails attach to the CS center frame directly or do that attach to the CS vibration dampers? Maybe some photos?

19. Colin

Colin Member

Hi Gary. I have all eight isolators installed 4 nos 2 and 4 number 5. The gimbal is fully balanced that took me hours.
    Some one said that it could be the centre of gravity could be an issue, I don't know. Im totally dumbfounded. The copter looks very steady to the eye when in flight

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

You can check the CG in flight if you have the wireless XBee's or equivalent. You can watch it live in the 3D window in MKTools.