/dist/images/branding/favicon

Good Tx charging practice

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jean Gabriel Taboada, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Jean Gabriel Taboada

Hi Guys,

I have no RC background experience, im more of an electronics guy and camerman, my partner was born and raised up around rc planes, choppers..... if i remember correctlly there are about 150+ prc planes in his house.

he is a very cautious guy and i respect him for that, he is very thorough with everything, batteries, motors, his piloting skills....

he says that after you use the Tx for any amount of time you should always charge it for 12 hours straight. i find that hard to belevie based on everything ive read. I say that when the battery gets low your fully charge it, 12hrs, but if its just used you could charge it for 4-6 hours.

its experience (him) vs. theory (me). of course i trust his experience more than my theory but i would like to know whats your experience regarding Tx batteries.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I would charge when the voltage begins to trend down. You didn't mention what you are using for a TX but with the Graupner's you should get a full day and then some of flying time. The screen will show how long the unit has been turned on.

3. Jean Gabriel Taboada

yeah its a graupner mx20

4. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

I've only had my MX-20 for 5 months and the battery just died on me. Maybe there is something to be said about a charging process and perhaps I did something wrong. It just won't take a charge anymore, although it heats up like it's taking a charge.

I've upgraded to the Graupner Lipo IS2P/6000, but can't charge it yet since you can't just use the wall charger due to it being a LIPO. Waiting for my "Octopus" Multi-Connector Adapter Charging Cable to arrive in the mail. Supposedly I'll get much more time in between charges.....

Ryan

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

For all rechargeables I like to run the battery out completely and let it die on its own before I charge it. This way it won't build up a memory of half charges.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

NiMh and LiPo's don't have the memory issue of NiCd's. Letting a battery go to 'death' level is not good for any battery. General guidance for LiPo's is not to go below 20%. Probably a good idea for NiMh's. The Graupner has a preset low battery alarm depending on battery type.

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I agree that I would never let a lipo go low just the NiCd's.