/dist/images/branding/favicon

FreeFly Future Developments

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Howard Dapp, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

+2

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Looks like someone converted a Photohigher AV200 gimbal to direct drive. I want to see footage. P1010018.jpeg

3. Scott.Dickerson

Scott.Dickerson New Member

I have a small amount of experience operating the cineflex and also testing them. The stabilization of the cineflex as incredible as it may be cannot fix for parallax or relatively large movements of the camera in relation to its subject. This issue of camera movement and its relation to the subject seems to be greatly amplified when shooting from a small multirotor since the camera-to-subject distance is generally much less than what is done with full size helicopters. What I'm getting at is - I doubt putting a cineflex on a 3ft multirotor would produce cineflex like footage in anything less than perfect flying in perfect conditions.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about ways to stabilize the entire multirotor . . . small high speed motors on the horizontal axis and electronically smoothed flight paths?

Just a few thoughts coming from a multirotor beginner with a lot to learn.

Jon Fredericks likes this.
  4. Jon Fredericks

Scott - i think you are right on the money regarding Cineflex stability on a full-size heli vs. multi-rotor. I think it's always going to be a question of Gross Vehicle Weight, or mass. The more the aircraft weighs, the more resistant it becomes to inadvertent movements and combatting wind/ turbulence. This is obviously counter to electric copter design, as one of the primary goals is to keep weights low for endurance purposes.

I think there will always be some things that you simply can't do without an A-Star and Cineflex, but I also believe the multi-rotor industry can do a lot in the coming years to close that gap. Right FreeFly?!?!

5. Howard Dapp

When I say "Cineflex-like" results and I believe this goes for most of us here, I'm referring to the high speed bounces, bumps and twitches current servo driven gimbals and stabilization systems cannot handle. Even the most perfectly balanced craft will encounter some form of occasional high speed jitter/jolts that will transfer down to the gimbal...some more than others, some less. DJI Zenmuse does an amazing job at eliminating these unwanted high speed jolts and movements.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Howard I remembered that photo. It was posted back in early June of last year. Wonder what happened to the development?

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Good points! We are combating 2 main issues here.

1. Translational errors - meaning the aircraft gets blown off course etc. As mentioned before this becomes a bigger and bigger problem the closer you are to your subject.

2. Angular errors - meaning angular disturbances like a quick burst of wind causes the multi rotor to quickly rotate about the pitch or roll axis.

I think both of these issues can be mitigated. The first by a high bandwith position control auto pilot system, the second by a very fast and precise gimbal system. If one were to combine these 2 systems the results would be astounding! ;)

Tabb

Jon Fredericks likes this.
  8. Jon Fredericks

Thanks for the follow up Tabb. Any insights into your gimbal developments? I agree with Howard above that the Zenmuse does a great job right now, but is obviously limited in camera capacity. Would love to know if we can expect something from FF that once again raises that bar - perhaps a NAB release? A simple wink would suffice.:)

9. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Just tell us when already!!!!

AAAGGGHHHH!!

10. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I will be looking forward to clean direct drive system. It seems like there is a slight chatter with the gear and belt system. Although its possible to mitigate. Just takes my cam ops to practice.

11. Howard Dapp

just had a brain burp:) Did the FreeFly team develop Radian to be future proof? Hmmm maybe. Radians are able to accept and deliver 12v. This would be adequate voltage to power a DSLR/RED direct drive gimbal running maxon motors.

Josh Lambeth likes this.
  12. Michael Braun

Michael Braun Member

was anyone thinking of replacing servos with brushless, since there is a mass development in brushless gimbals for gopro at the moment?

13. Howard Dapp

I can almost bet that Tabb will have a direct drive offering at upcoming NAB next month. Just sit tight:)

14. Michael Braun

Michael Braun Member

I hope there will be just upgrade for our servo driven gimbals :)

15. Howard Dapp

I personally doubt it. I think it will be a whole new offering...potentially more money to be made that way.

16. Matt McCarthy

Matt McCarthy Member

I agree with you Howard thats just the way it is now :( Great new gimble but have to convert to a whole new system, however once you have a direct drive driving your destiny you most likely won't care anymore....

17. Pavlos Antoniou

I dont agree..! WHy if you have already paid the gimbal you have to pay another one??!

AS the gimbal is great for DD conversion.. Also its ready.. its very easy to convertit.. And i will do it for sure with Alexmos if Freefly doesnt release something.

Emanuele Chiocchio likes this.
  18. Matt McCarthy

Matt McCarthy Member

Well I suppose if your'e expecting to turn your mini into a Ferrari then a few adjustments should just be ..well standard ? The reality is that direct drive capability is a completely different genre and it would be impossible dare i say to turn a servo into a direct drive ? But I like the way your'e thinking as there is a lot you can do to upgrade your system or create in your own work shop instead of paying these increadibly ridiculous prices for so may of the 'parts' that go into and connect our systems, that is to say not the main parts but all the little things...piece of plastic with two holes drilled in it and made of poly-c and $75.00 and so on and so forth

19. Matt McCarthy

Matt McCarthy Member

Nice teaser Pavlos is that the 5d you shot it with ?

20. Pavlos Antoniou

Did i tell somewhere that something is very expensive or something..
    What i told you is that they can offer 3 choices..
    1. A hole new gimbal like HERO 3000 that will cost some thousand DOllars
    2. An upgrade of the current gimbal to DD from small cams till 1kg
    3. An upgrafe of the current gimbal to DD for bigger Cams...

I never say that it easy to DYI ...! If you try you will understand..

And to see how easy it is pls cheack here..

Its not my photo its from a company that is trying to make the CS gimbal in DD..

I am saying all these because i believe that the design of this GIMBAL is a piece of Art..! Its the best design that can have a gimbal for me...! You can do whatever you want easy and fast unlikely with other gimbals..!

Sorry for my English.. :(

Attached Files:

Emanuele Chiocchio likes this.