/dist/images/branding/favicon

Adjusting settings "on the fly"

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Wolfgang Armin, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hey all,
    well - not really "on the fly", but between fligths would be handy.
    How are you changing your settings. I for one would like to have lower roll settings with little wind but I don´t know what exactly the wind will be when I leave the house and taking even a small netbook with me is not an idea I particularely like.
    So I was looking for a small cheap tablet, etc. with USB that would run the radian software. A version of the software that would run on an ipad mini with a special interface cable would be even more appricated, but I guess that´s nothing I can expect too soon ;-).
    Doesn´t seem to be easy to find one.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance for generously sharing your knowledge ;-),
    Wolfgang

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I use a windows net book I bought from a friend for $200 when I'm in the field. Works great.

Howard Dapp likes this.
  3. Wolfgang Armin

Thanks, Steve.
    I do have a netbook too, but smaller would be better ;-).

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Wolfgang:
    Nice to see you back on the forum.

I think that the issue is that neither MK nor FF choose to the communications protocol available so it is impossible for any developer to create the apps that you would like.

Andy.

5. Wolfgang Armin

Hi Andy,
    didn´t do a lot of "coptering" recently. Unfortunately flying with cameras was forbidden in my country until further laws are going to be announced. While I understand that and am happy for regulations, I don´t see a point in forbidding everything before laws are published. But reading in the announcement threads I´m not sure what to think.
    Back to topic:
    too bad. I was hoping that there were some windows devices out there that are small enough for the task. My next journey takes me to a place (outside my country of course) where I have to walk and bike at least an hour to get where I want to go. Taking my netbook with me just to compensate for the wind doesn´t sound too great an idea.
    Anyway - thanks as always for your input, Andy.
    Cheers,
    Wolfgang

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh. That's not good news at all.

It sounds like a reflex unthinking reaction by politicians who, not understanding something, can only think to ban it until they have laws.
    Not that that would ever happen in the USA. Sigh. Oh. It has happened.... :(

You are absolutely correct. We do need smaller PCs!

My pleasure.
    Regards
    Andy.

7. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Thats bad Wolfgang.
    What country do you live in?

In my country of Sweden you have to get a permit. For a smaller craft you send in a drawing or detailed photo of it, together with explanation of your RC flying experiense.
    For bigger birds you have to make a ¨drivers test¨ to show you can handle the bird in normal flight and if something bad happens while flying. And there are of course regulations for how and where we are allowed to fly.
    For every bird a third party insurance is mandatory.

Regards.

/Janne

8. Wolfgang Armin

Ups, sorry, didn't see your reply. My country is Austria. We always seem to be one of the first to forbid things. They say an RC controlled vehicle with a camera is a freighted flight (oh well). I do appreciate regulations and licenses, you just see too many crazy people in the net. But you should be given the opportunity to get one.
    The problem is: some people just don't care or don't know and keep flying (even commercially), and gather footage and references, while the ones that stay on the legal side lose out once again :-(.