/dist/images/branding/favicon

Things you did not know about the Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Andy,

Connected or not the outcome is the same, steady green led and when I click connect or read a quick small flash, looks orange to me though.

Still no new adapter :(
    Matjaž from Kopterworx mailt me direct on 25 feb. that he will send out a new one the same day, but is not responding at further mails from me asking for a tracking number, normally when I order something from them it takes three days.

Mario

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mario:
    OK. Well if you're seeing the orange/yellow flash when you hit Connect, that certainly suggests that the PC, software, drivers, are all set up OK. So that only leaves USB Adapter, cable from adapter to Radian Sensor, or the Radians themselves.

Do you know how to use Hyperterminal? If you do, there's one more test you can do to test out the cable from the Radian USB adapter to the connector Radian sensor. Connect a shorting wire in the connector that normally goes to the Radian Sensor, shorting out the red and orange wire (transmit and receive), then use Hyperterminal to connect to the COM port for the USB Serial Device and you should see anything you type on the keyboard echoed back to the screen.

Andy.

3. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Andy,

I have bought 2 new USB cables, all give the same results, don't think I need to do that test.

Mario

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Mario:
    You're right. I think you've eliminated just about everything you can.
    Let us know what you find when you get the new Radian USB Adapter, please.

Thanks
    Andy.

5. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

I will Andy, but first I have to find it in the mailbox;)

Mario

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, that's what some computer geeks call a "gating item." :)

Andy.

7. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Got a mail from kopterworx, today the adapter is shipping out to me.

8. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Today I received the new USB adapter from Kopterworx and all is working perfect :)

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's good news!
    Thanks for let us know the outcome Mario.

Andy.

10. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Other thing,

although all the channels are on 0 when sticks are centered, the pan and tilt are drifting when operation mode is actif, also the roll go's drifting when I switch it to slew mode, when not in operation mode nothing drift's.

All the Servo out boxes are not on zero, looks to me they need an calibration but can't find how.

Also I like to know if its possible to set an fixt start position for the pan axel?

Thanks in advance,

Mario

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Hi Mario, try using a deadband of 2-3 or even default 5.
    Using 0 I think maybe a bit thight, and I doubt to many Tx is so precise that it works.
    Regards
    Janne

12. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Hi Janne,

Tried that already on all the axels without any improvements, my camera operator like's a 0 deadband and the midstick from the MX20 is rocksolid so that's not the problem, you can see that all the slew inputs are zero but the Servo's Out's aren't :confused:

Greetings,

Mario

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mario:
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

Two things:

1. You need to have the copter suspended so it can rotate -- not have it suspended between fixed objects.

2. You will certainly see some drift in the pan axis when you have it suspended. However, what really matters is if you see this happening in flight. Even freely suspended by string/cord/wire is not a good simulation for the gyroscopic effect of having the copter in flight with the motors/props swinging.

Note that for the above, you must power on the Radians while the copter is on the ground, let them calibrate, and then suspend the copter.

Hope that helps.
    Andy.

14. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Hi Andy,

It's also drifting in the air, tilt and pan, and the roll also when I put it on slew mode in a test situation, and I know the drill for arming up ;)

But how can it be when all slew's are zero and all servo out's are not when the copter isn't moving, is there a way to calibrate the Radians?

Or maybe I am looking over something, can't believe all three have a problem :confused:

Mario

15. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Mario... just an unrelated question. I noticed you have lead weights in the landing gear. Are you trying to balance something with those? That weight that far out may give you issues with vibration when flying. Just something to think about...

The only issue I can think of by watching your video is the startup procedure. I get a little drift on Pan when hanging the copter but its maybe 1/4 the speed you get. Interesting you get it on all 3 axis...

Brad

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mario:
    Boy, we've eliminated just about everything but the Radians. I suspect the next step is to contact your dealer, I'm afraid.

Andy.

17. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Hi Brad,

I also don't like the weight on those those leg's but it was the only way to get the mount in balance on the pan axel, think I
    need longer arms going to the tilt axel.

Mario

18. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Hi Andy,

Holy Sh#$, Kopterworx see me coming!!

First the USB adapter and now the three Radian's, how am I supposed to underpin that ?

Is there something more I need to know? bought them on 18 september 2012, is there something wrong with that batch?

Mario

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mario:
    Yeah, it beggars belief that all three are bad, but....

You've successfully been able to upgrade the firmware on the Radian's, right? I know that some folks did have difficulty here in the USA because of a serial number issue, when they tried to upgrade, but that's all I can remember off-hand. (But it is 23:26 here so I can barely remember my name ;) )

Andy.

20. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Hi Andy,

When I got them last year I upgraded them to the last firmware without a problem, the problems were showing up
    when I started using the mount, that's about 5 weeks now.

Is there an newer firmware that I can try out, and how can I see the actual firmware that I have now?

I am just one hour out of bed and as fresh as an puppy :) have some nice dreams and maybe also a split second about my problem ;)

Mario