/dist/images/branding/favicon

Power system choices for heavy lifter?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Daniel Delaunay, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Daniel Delaunay

I've been trying to figure out the power setup for a Cinestar 8 heavy lift that could easily fly a RED Epic.

After seen some good reviews I decided to go for T-Motors that seems the best combination of price/reliability at the moment.
    But I'm having hard time deciding if I should go with 4014 330kv, 3520 400kv, both on 6S, 3515 650kv on 4S or even 3515 650kv with smaller props on 6S.
    Every week I come to a different conclusion of whats is best and this has been going on for way over a month (or two) now....o_O
    So I decided to start a thread to check if someone have experience with any of those setups and is willing to share it.

And what about the escs?
    My first choice was Castle Creations ICE50 but price is more than twice of a Maytech, so I'm probably sticking to Maytech with SimonK if no one has anything against them! ;)

And last but not least, power distribution!
    Will a power distribution cable from Quadrocopter do the job on such heavy lifter or better to invest 10X more in a Power Hungry board?

http://www.quadrocopter.com/ESC-Power-Distribution-Cable-1-to-8_p_759.html

http://www.kopterworx.com/Latest-products-in-Shop/Power-Hungry-Distro-board-400A

That's it, anyone on the same situation or with experience with those parts is more than welcome to share some helpful and constructive tips here. Thanks

2. Daniel Delaunay

Forgot to mention battery options.

Cheapest (4S and 6S) seems to be Zippy followed by Nano-Tech. But how do they compare between themselves and against better quality, or at least more expensive ones ?
    Has anyone done a battery shot out?
    Recently I have seen an increasing number of complains about the Nano-Techs that got me a bit worried.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Andy Johnson-Laird here on the forum is doing a test now. Thiago Kraus of Drone4U in Brazil has done some tests, too.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

6. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Hi Steve, please be carefull with the Zippy's, and always charge them far away from everything, don't over discharge them. They are cheap and work, but need extra care, and they do tend to have problems here and there , I had mine, so be carefull, you get what you pay for

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Steve:
    Let me know when they're en route and I'll make a gap in my schedule to test them and get them back to you ASAP. Much appreciate you doing this. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Andy.