/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting To Heavy Lift CS8 - BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

What Brad said. And try the spring. If you find that AH works it makes the work load a lot less since you can yaw without disturbing the altitude. Yeah I can hear people saying "but what if I accidentally let go of the stick while I am on the ground". Answer "Don't let go of the stick". I started flying with the center spring when I got the copter. Flew the HF without it, went back to the MK stack, tried it without the spring (setting 0) and went back to the spring (setting 127). It just works and if you are in AH and moving forwards/sidways you can take your hand off the throttle to scratch your nose....

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I personally very seldom even use the AH function even when it was working before on my old copter. Just more worried about the Fail-Safe not working correctly...

Josh

3. kjetil tønnesen

i have no spring and my setting to 127 and it work fine to my?

4. Josh Lambeth

Ok guys... I feel like a complete idiot asking this question... but Ill ask it anyway...

For the guys who are using the converter with the CC 50amp ESCs running the multi-rotor firmware, did you do a manual throttle endpoint calibration?

Josh

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh, no I didn't. Only change I have made was to set the max gas in MKTools to 247. Default is 230. No idea if it has helped. Am running 4s, 15x5 props, something around a 700KV motor, 7.1Kg AUW and hovering just over 50% power. If you use the MultiCopter setting in the ICE setup software I don't even know if that is adjustable. Isn't it greyed out. And I did the ESC calibration as outlined in the I2C manual. Hope this is what you were asking.

Kjetil you don't need the spring, just makes it a bit harder to find the center point and if you yaw left/right it is easier with the spring because you aren't worried about bumping out of the center position.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I should have asked "Why are you asking about the throttle endpoints?"

7. Josh Lambeth

I am wondering if that has something to do with the AH issue. Ill experiment a little with it and see what happens.

Josh

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I use fixed endpoints without issue. That's what the hoverfly folks suggested.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh something else must be going on. I haven't made any changes to my MK settings for AH and while I am running a 4S setup it is rock solid in AH.

10. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Josh... Maybe your particular I2C converter is messed up? Mine was like Gary's in AH ... same settings and everything just fine.

11. Josh Lambeth

Ok. I have a second converter. Ill throw that one on there and see what happens.

Josh

12. Haidee Yatim

Haidee Yatim New Member

Hi Josh,
    I've just done a similar upgrade on my CS8 with the MK full stack /afro i2c/ CC ICE 50/MT 3515-15/14x7 Xoars/ similar to yours but running on short stock booms. A few help appreciated from your experience with the CC50's
    I noticed that the value for my min gas in koptertool have to be set at approx 38-40 in order for all motors to spin without much "noise" or at least seen synchronized ..do you have yours set at about the same min value?ive just updated the CC50 to the latest firmware 4.02.
    mutirotor/fixed end points/motor timing -medium/ start -normal/
    I've tested the TC i2c ST version on a reflashed SimonK 65 Amps Red bricks before the change to the CC50s, it runs cool and works great too but not as much as the CC50 as far as the min value input is concerned, love the quality of the CC50's however im just a little curious about the CC50's running with the convertor..yes I've done all that needs to be done as far as changing the convertor timing to p 500 and pulse end e to 1800 and calibrating the ESCs.

Appreciate your help through your experience with your setup so far, or perhaps i missed out on other stuff somewhere, your respond and assitance is much appreciated.Thanking you in advance :).

Regards from Singapore,

Haidee Yatim
    http://2altitude.sg/
    haidee.yatim@gmail.com

13. Josh Lambeth

Change your motor timing to high and also change your refresh rate to 24hz. After your first flight check the temp of the ESCs though and make sure they are still fairly cool.

Also in MK Tools set your MAX THROTTLE to as high as it will go. Default is 230 but I believe it goes to 246 or something like that.

For the min throttle mine is set around the same.

Josh

14. Haidee Yatim

Haidee Yatim New Member

Thanks a Bunch Josh!..thats the assurance i need, will be out to lug the 5D and see how she goes .

Haidee Yatim
    http://2altitude.sg/
    haidee.yatim@gmail.com

15. Josh Lambeth

Thought I would give a little update. I just did a flight to see what my flight times would be with an EPIC (Im flying one this afternoon) but in my testing I added everything to the gimbal that I will need to power and run the epic (extra 4s, extra power wire from the battery to the camera, HDMI cable), then added an additional 8lbs of weight to simulate the camera and lens. Total flying time was 9min and this was with 14% left in the packs when I landed. I am using dual 6s 6000mAh Nano-Techs. Everything came down just slightly warm. It was about 55* F outside when I was flying.

Josh

Thijm likes this.
  16. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Mission accomplished! That's more than enough flight time per pack. Very nice Josh. Ok, you just landed the rig with the epic mounted...what's your absolute fully loaded AUW?

17. Josh Lambeth

Umm... I know with a 5d im sitting at 19lbs so with the epic im probably about 24-25lbs maybe? 11-12kg. I need to weigh it and see.

Josh

18. Alain BERUTTI

Alain BERUTTI New Member

I Josh,
    I just read all this thread, really impressive thanks for sharing :) I'm actually building an heavy lift octo with cinestar 3axis, radians, wookong with
    2x 6S 6000mah nanotech , i read you was using with your previus CS6 the qc 3328 and you change to tmotor3515 for this new build... i'm thinking to do with the qc3328 carbon prop 14x5 and even if you change for 3515 now do you think it is possible to have good result with qc motors with an heavy lift octo ? Thanks
    Alain

19. Josh Lambeth

Im not sure how well they would do. You can throw them in eCalc and find out though. I know mine were getting hot even just carrying a 5D when I was using the standard MK Electronics.

Josh

20. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

good stuff!! Just remember to breathe :D

are you using a decimator or cube/bolt for downlink ?