/dist/images/branding/favicon

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hugh Bell, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Denis Gliksman

Merci Andy. Et vous vous maitrisez très bien le français visiblement ! ...
    Denis

2. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Well, I haven't been on this forum very long, posted several questions, and haven't introduced myself yet. Obviously you all know my name. I'm a full-time firefighter paramedic here in SoCal and live in the OC. Been in photography for several years and co-own a photography company. Been flying RC heli's for awhile, built my first quadrino quad last year, upgraded to a DJI F550 with an Askman gimbal, then upgraded to the bad boy CS8. I began building it slowly sometime in December of last year, and am JUST getting it in dialed in as I type this. No FPV or downlink yet, but I'm taking things step by step. Everyone here has been very helpful and kind. The great advice, solutions, and help has been priceless and humbles me. I told Ben Rowland a few days ago that I am glad to be part of this community. I also told someone else that I hope to return the favor to other on this forum soon, as I gain more experience and credibility. Thanks!

- Kristian

3. Fabien Deregel

Good afternoon,

my name is Fabien Deregel, and my company is E-Copter in France.

We have many customers asking about Cinestar systems ( we manufacture CNC parts but also offer custom build services) so this is the right place to get the latest informations for us and for our customers,

BEst regards,

Fabien

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Fabien Deregel

Hi Gary,

i just did it, E-copter is my real name company and that is why i did put it before :)
    Thanks a lot,

Fabien

6. Adam Alcantara

Adam Alcantara New Member

Hi All,
    Very new to the forum but just about at the end of my tether with my CS8 360 Radians.I know you have probably had this question a million time but I just need some a bit of pointing in the right direction as its doing my head in now!
    I am getting a huge amount of vibration which I cannot get rid of ie adjusting gains over and over - balancing camera as per freefly vids,
    I'm now thinking it might be props and motors (wrong combo) it's really the only thing I can think of.

Camera 5D mii
    2826-760 motors
    Props: graupner 14:8
    WM
    It seems that a lot of you guys are using APC 14x4.7 props, would this help and are my motors to big for these?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Adam:
    The CS8/3-Axis gimbal, literally and metaphorically, has a lot of moving parts. The thing to do is to simplify and test incrementally.

For example, take the gimbal off and put the landing gear directly on to booms.
    Balance all the props. (Google search for RC propeller balancing -- there's also threads on this forum)
    Balance all the motors. (Google search of Balancing brushless motors -- there's also threads on this forum)
    If you have an iPhone get the Vibrations app. It's useful for assessing the amount of vibration that you have on a given motor/book.

If you have a Go Pro or FPV camera use them to establish that you have the frameset (hubs, booms, and motors) flying smoothly before you deal with the gimbal.

For the gimbal, make sure that the camera is properly balanced (take the belts off and adjust in tilt, roll, and yaw). Then put the belts back on and make sure they're appropriately tight (about 1/8" in deflection at point midway between pulleys).

Fly the gimbal with the Radians powered off and check the quality of the video.

Then adjust the Radian gains by suspending the aircraft above the floor/bench (you will see some "drift" in pan).

Then fly with the Radians active. Bear in mind the silicon O-rings are now available in three different colors/hardnesses, so depending on the ambient temperature, you may need to change those.

Also, of course, your piloting skills will have an effect on the whole system -- coarse piloting leads to coarse flying, as you probably know!

Hope this helps.
    Andy

Dave Hipkiss likes this.
  8. Adam Alcantara

Many thanks Andy.
    There's a couple of things in there I still need to do.
    Do you think I will get better results with the APC 14x4.7 props as I'll swap them out before I start balancing the graupner 14.8, if the APC's would be better then would my motors then be ok?
    And thanks again I know you probably get this a lot!

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't immediately chuck the Graupner props away. It really more depends on your personal flying skills.
    If you're just getting started, then the APC props are probably less expensive and you're going to break a few of them.
    I've not balanced the Graupner's either -- are they the carbon fiber ones? If so, messy to sand when you balance them.

The problems you're experiencing are less likely be which props you're using -- unless the Graupners are out of balance -- which will make a difference.

And yeah, it's a fairly common problem when you first get one of these aircraft to tune it up -- and to keep it tuned.

Andy.

10. Adam Alcantara

Yes there the carbon ones. I'll crack on with it. Thanks again.
    Adam.

11. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I would suggest NOT sanding the props but rather adding small pieces of scotch tap to the end of the LIGHTER blade to help balance them. This is how I balance my wood props and it works very well.

Josh

Kristian C likes this.
  12. Adam Alcantara

Hi Josh
    I'll give it ago - balancing makes a difference then huh!
    Cheers
    Adam

13. Josh Lambeth

Yes, If you are using a stiffer prop such as the carbons or wood then balancing makes a huge difference. It takes a lot of time to do but is well worth it.

Josh

14. Adam Alcantara

Nice tips,
    Cheers
    A

15. Josh Lambeth

Here is a video from a VERY windy flight 2 weeks ago...

Josh

16. Adam Alcantara

That
    That looks great.
    Its just the constant high vibration that I just can't get rid of - it actually looks like the radians aren't doing anything!
    I've changed vibration rings from red to blue to red and blue - anyway I'll stop going on about it and and start from scratch again.
    Thanks
    A

17. Hans Goedecke

Hans Goedecke New Member

Hey, I am Hans from Berlin. Just starting with the aerials. I bought and built a cinestar 8 a few months ago and I am now working on the gimbal. I fly a 5d MK2 but still not sure, if that is the right choice. I have a 360 FF gimbal, but at the moment I am flying the 2 axis stabilized over the MK flightctrl. I have 2 flights now, with that setting, results are not good.
    So they can only get better.

By the way, I use the internet a lot as a resource for any kind of information and come across a lot of forums (I think you do too) but I have rarely seen such a caring and professional forum with such a strong community standing behind it as I find it here just through the few times reading until now. So keep it up.

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Hans.

19. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Glad to have you here Hans. Welcome to the world of CS8 flying!

20. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I had a similar experience, and now I feel a part of an extended community with branches all over the planet. It is all it seems, and more. Members are routinely supported through very tricky situations, often with their professional reputations on the line. Welcome, and do participate to the best of your abilities!