/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anyone seen this crash?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Sorry if this was already posted before but I just stumbled upon this doing a google search for another rotorcopter topic.

This is exactly why the FAA is going to make it hard for any of us to fly. How much do you want to make a bet there was not preflight checklist. Do you see the way that copter is yawing, and who would try to fly like that in such narrow space and in front of a busy populated location? These clowns give everyone one of us trying to do it right a bad name. Notice how the pilot doesn't even go over to the crash he just gets on his cell phone? The camera operator goes over and retrieves the wreckage and then picks up a smoking lipo with his bare hand.Extremely unprofessional!!! I bet the operator didn't even own it as he doesnt seem to care.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. It was posted within a few hours of the event. The operators were roundly criticized and with some justification.
    Andy.

3. Dave King

It looks like to me the copter started in front of the operator and then the wind might have taken it over his head and he lost his orientation and then accelerated into the building

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Horrible, keep this in the back of your mind when you are thinking risk vs reward in the future!

Tabb

5. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Embarrassment, shock and shame maybe.

This happened in NZ. It made the news there.

6. Ben Hall

Ben Hall New Member

i think a fault happened but you can never be too sure . if you look very close at the a few seconds after it lifted you can see smoke . possible esc failure.. regardless of this i think they were not being safe to start with at all .

7. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Thats the problem we are facing now in Brazil with people going overseas to save a few franklins, buy there coneback without knowing the difrence between a esc and a bec , and start to sell aerial images for 1/10 of the price delivery crap, put people in danger and live a bad image of low altitude images caption., of course Im just the safe freak around without wanting others to fly....sorry to let it out but this piss me off everyday

8. Ben Hall

Ben Hall New Member

it wont be long before there is so much legislation forced upon us that its very difficult to fly . hopefully if .. probably more like when this happens it will close the doors to the few or more then few that act dangerous or do not have the experience to fly safe and understand the equipment they try to use

9. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

This is the reason I don't understand why the FAA is allowing hobbyists (i.e. anyone with a credit card and a hankering to fly) complete freedom to do whatever they want, but shutting down productions that are insured and permitted.

I recently read someone's review of the DJI Phantom in which they claim to have gone 1,000 feet before losing complete control of the copter. While the FAA's restrictions affect my ability to conduct legitimate business, it's hard to blame them when things like this are going on. And it's only going to get worse. Think back to when you were a teenager and think about how much irresponsible fun you would have had with an affordable remote copter in your hands. I got into plenty of trouble just driving.

Steve Maller likes this.
  10. Ali Salih AK

Ali Salih AK New Member

have you seen... Why it can fall over ?

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I can see at least one issue in this video, and that's that the copter is flying very close to some electric power lines. The radios and navigation gear in these ships is susceptible to electrical interference, and that could be the problem. But copters crash. It's not "if" but "when". This also could be a catastrophic power loss. Impossible to say from just a bad video.

12. Dave King

It doesn't look like a catastrophic power loss because the copter made a huge move at the very end to cause the crash. Your right about the power lines Steve.

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Looks more like pilot error... disorientation.

14. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Thats what im going with too...

Josh

15. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Kind of a given, it seems. :confused:

16. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

But unless in a manual mode, the copter shouldn't just flip over like that even if the pilot is disoriented. Though I'm coming from a very narrow perspective in which I'm flying with Wookong in attitude mode and can't flip a copter over like that no matter how hard I try.

Dan

17. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

From what I can see, the heli doesn't, in fact, flip over. Rather, it appears to be flying to the right. The pilot attempts to slow it down by rolling left, but rolls it far enough left that much of it's vertical-lift-component is lost, and the bird plunges the few remaining feet to the ground.

I could easily do this with my heli on a daily basis if I added too much control input too close to the ground. If this maneuver was done at 200 feet, there likely would not have been an issue, but it looks like it was only 10ft or so off the ground when this happened...

Thoughts?

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
    PrimeImage Media
    480-399-0000 - direct
    480-240-9270 - office
    866-549-6051 - fax
    ben@PrimeImageMedia.com
    www.PrimeImageMedia.com