/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian Software

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Awesome! For the pre-production versions can we use the .12 update to allow us to use the Spektrum receivers?

3. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Yes you can Josh ;)

Just to clarify you will be able to use the spektrum satellite receiver

4. Josh Lambeth

Awesome! :D Thanks Tabb!

Any idea on when or if we can adjust the ramping on the system?

5. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Josh, no immediate plans to make that adjustable. We put a good value hard coded into the software.

Thanks

6. John Cunningham

Just to let everyone know, we have released the PC software as version 1 to match the Radian release (not 0.12). Tabb will upload this soon (if he hasn't done so already). Version 0.12 will work fine if you already use it.

7. Josh Lambeth

I just downloaded the new software that has been posted. Where do I find the firmware update program for the Radians? Tabbs update video shows a screen that I can't seem to find. Does that show up automatically when the Radians are in bootloader mode? Thanks!

Josh

8. zaxis

zaxis New Member

Did you guys write the Stabiliser setup program in VisualBasic 6? If the Radian is as stable and long lasting as VB6 it will be a wise decision.

Andy
    Still using VB6 everyday.

9. Nathan

Nathan New Member

10. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Radian device driver? my computer cant find one

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Thanks Tabb.

Before we drop some $$ would it be possible for someone to film a quick bench test showing the amount of ramping hard coded? No need to fly, just suspend the multi so that the pan axis can spin freely. Next, move your pan control stick full right or left and hold for a couple of seconds then let the stick snap back to center on its own. Ideally we'd like to see onboard recording from a gimbal mounted camera as well as a camera angle showing the actual control stick deflection. Same for the tilt axis.

Ramping adjustment is a very important feature for pro equipment to achieve pro results and unless you've actually ever use equipment with this feature you won't understand its importance. Anything less is a compromise...not pretty having to edit a shot short because of a robotic pan or tilt movement.

Thanks guys!

12. Howard Dapp

Can anyone perform this quick test?

13. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Howard,

The system will not behave in the manner you are hoping for the stick movement you describe. For the system to have a smooth stop when snapping the control stick back to center you would need an EXTREME amount of acceleration profile built in. With that much it would be very difficult to point the gimbal accurately as you lose control over the starts and stops when the acceleration ramping gets too large.

What I can tell you is that it is possible to get very smooth starts and stops using the system as we intended for it to be used (not letting the stick snap back to center etc.)

I have used most of the high end systems (Cineflex, libra, scorpio, shot-over, etc) and understand what you are saying, as it stands this is not a user adjustable parameter. We will discuss adding it to a future release.

Thanks!

Tabb

14. Howard Dapp

Thank you Tabb.

To know that this may potentially be added in is exciting for us. It can be very frustrating trying to replicate in RC gear what we can do with pro gear. After experiencing Walter's MK code and what its able to do gave us hope.

We'll certainly be looking out for this with the Radian.

**Thanks for the consideration

15. David Pope

David Pope New Member

Hi Howard.
    Maybe you just need a new camera operator:)

I'm pretty sure I remember the vid that made you nervous about the pan and tilt dampening issue. The dude's GF was running the gimbal.

Having been in the film business for 20+ years, I've also worked with dozens of hot heads and remote camera mounts. I can't think of any that let you yank controls around. Its just not done. Every stabilization system can be made to look like crap if the inputs look like crap.
    I'm looking for the Radians to accurately compensate for everything except stick inputs! I have the Radians mounted and can tell that even in default settings and on the bench, they work far better than what I was using. (MK FC w/ v.88f)

Also, the kind of "ramping" that you want would not allow a competent operator to accurately control a pan.
    He would have to calculate when to release the stick -hoping the ramping will stop where he intended.
    Let me know what you think.

Dave

16. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

I agree strongly with Dave!

17. Howard Dapp

Dave, I too have been in the biz for probably the same amount of years maybe longer, same for my operator/s with another 15 years running RC gear. My request for "snapping" the sticks was only for us to visually gauge the amount of ramping hard coded in. Obviously these harsh inputs wouldn't be something done during actual filming. Ramping adjustment is a control feature on professional equipment for a reason, it makes a smooth movement all the more smooth and quite honestly should have been included as an adjustment with Radian at that price point...but hey, you can't have everything.

Not true, this is why ramping is an adjustable feature - milliseconds up to seconds of start/stop. You obviously would not set it to overshoot...sorry but your statement makes no sense to me especially coming from someone who claims to have experience using professional equipment. With adequate amount of ramping set, even a novice could get on the sticks and produce some soft beautiful moves without effort and over thinking of easing in and out of a movement.

We're all entitled to our own preferences and expectations on the gear we consider for purchase. Tabb and Radian are awesome...i'm not knocking the system at all, We just have different expectations than some.

Btw, Walter's MK fw ramping feature works amazing for us with results similar to our camera car flight head and Kessler equipment in that regard.

Howard

18. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Howard, thanks for the feedback! We are all after the same thing here, beautiful cinematic aerial sequences. It is clear that there are many ways to achieve a pleasing end result and we aim to make a product which can cater to a wide array of user needs. We will take your feedback and discuss how / if we can integrate into a future release.

Out of curiousity, which flight head do you have on your camera car? I always enjoy watching them work!

Best,

Tabb

Howard Dapp likes this.
  19. Josh Lambeth

Have any of the other beta testers successfully upgraded their units with the latest software release? According to the manual the Radians are mounted in a different location then what we did (Roll is under the roll axis rather than on the back of the roll axis pulley). Im just wanting to make sure before I upgrade I am able to keep them in the same position since I don't have all the mounting hardware to put them in the new locations. Thanks and any feedback would be great!

Josh

20. Howard Dapp

Much appreciated Tabb. This addition will be good for all and will enhance an already amazing system.
    We're flying a stab-c compact head on a custom fabricated (vehicle mounted) shock absorbing front mount system. A son of a gun to tune but works great when its working. We also use this same head on a 30' jib. We're investigating the possibility of using an RC gyro stab system like Radian on a Kessler motorized head, we're limited to pan and tilt there but would be interesting for what we need.