/dist/images/branding/favicon

fail safe, fail safe, fail safe, fail safe....(bangs head on keyboard)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Jei Swan, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

I need to figure out how to turn this on. I thought i had one on but apparently not. just had my heli rock out of the sky luckily it wasn't too high and no one was around, and a tree caught its unceremonious decent. so right now it looking like minimal damage just 3 brand new wood props busted and realignment of the gimbal. Im not mad about this just now i know what not to do.......im just pissed cause i cant get he video to stop being all jittery....this was the best stabilized vid i have. then it crashed sending me back to the drawing board.

i was on the return part of the flight when it bricked. im glad it didn't land on the road.

I now am now trying to find the coming home fail safe.

Find below the flight log Vid coming momentarily.

Attached Files:

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Did it just drop out of the sky? Was it still powered on when you got to it? Ill check out the GPX file and see what I can decipher from it.

Josh

3. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

yeah every thing was still powered. that was the way i found it. the buzzer was going off.

im just waiting for the vid to up load to youtube and ill post it when its rdy

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I looked at the GPX file, and I have a few thoughts.
    1. it looks like you're flying with PH and AH on all the time. i know that's what Ziggy recommends, but you're at the mercy of GPS glitches and other things, which could have caused some of your trouble
    2. the GPX file clearly shows a loss of connection to your transmitter, followed by Come Home being activated. Did you activate CH yourself? if not, that's the MK's Fail Safe kicking in. So the tree may have just been in the way.
    3. the GPX file indicates "Compass is disturbed by magnetic fields!", so CH may have been trying to come home, but "home" may not have been well defined
    Others may have additional input. Sorry about the crash. Good thing the damage was somewhat limited. :(

5. Josh Lambeth

Dang Steve you beat me to it. haha

Josh

6. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

the CH being turned on was me. when i felt uncomfortable i flicked it on.
    yeah i have it on just cause i still have the sticks in a neutralizing at the center position im still in the process of coming off oh the automated functions.

is landed in the tree. i was above ant coming home obstructions. homes in bermuda arn't allowed to be build above 2 stories

7. Steve Maller

Josh, I'd be interested in your analysis, too. By all means, I am little more than a rookie in this stuff. Still waiting on the scoutmaster's decision on my merit badge. :)

8. Josh Lambeth

WOW! Just watched the video... You are really lucky it crashed where it did! Are you flying LOS or FPV? How far away were you from where it took off when it crashed?

Josh

9. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

According to my dad about 1k ft.

Im flying LOS at the moment. though i was using my monitor to view/control orientation. cause of the distance

i need to figure out a way to view both the battery levels and distance from launch point a the same time.

10. Josh Lambeth

How do you have your FS setup to work? Is it set to return to home or is it set to just descend? Also is it set for Vario Alt descent or just a fixed percentage? Looks like it was more of a fixed percentage and it was set to low.

Josh

11. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

don't know to be honest. im going to be checking out that in a bit. to actually see how to set it properly

12. Josh Lambeth

When you open MK Tools send a screenshot of the current settings before you change things. Would like to see how it's setup.

josh

13. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

hmm how do you do that on a windows comp...i use mac

give me a sec il grab it

also you mentioned some thing about being at the mercy the faults of the gps when you fly with it turned on. cause that bea the reason i can get my heli to fly in a straight line its usually listing to the right as it flies

14. Steve Maller

It'd be helpful to see how you have your screens set up in MK Tool.
    Also, I noticed that the "RCQuality" field dropped to 0 when "Emergency Landing" was selected. Andy? Ben? Gary? Is that normal?

Finally, Jei, I must be honest and tell you that you're making a huge mistake testing your copter in your neighborhood. Please, please, please find a football field, a park, or just an empty lot to test it. Those homes you're flying over will be expensive to repair if something happens, and you were really lucky this wasn't that time. Until you're 100% comfortable with the copter and your own skills, get away from populated areas!

15. Steve Maller

Do you have an OSD? If not, you should get one. Then you can configure it to show you whatever you want.

16. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

i agree with you. fully here but no matter where you go, everywhere you go on the island is densely populated there really isn't any open space. any of the parks here the schools use the pitch for football (soccer). so im really am limited to the yard to test. This "test" has let me know my boundaries....literally to avoid some thing like this again.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jei:
    It would be easier if you just used MK Tool, save the current parameters using the Save button, and then post the resulting .mkp file -- it's just a text file that records all the parameters in one swell foop. [Sorry...that's Britspeak I think --it's a spoonerism based on the phrase "fell swoop" -- you may know it as "the whole nine yards," or "the whole Megillah."]

I'm also having a quick look at the GPX file, but it looks like Steve's analysis is correct. RC signal loss.

Andy.

18. Jei Swan

Jei Swan Member

ok i can say this now with out posting a screen cap. just 'found' the fail safe controls and i can tell you that they were not on in the slightest.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Summary of the GPX file:

MK Version: FC HW:2.1 SW:0.88n + NC HW:2.0 SW:0.28p

Flight time: 6:56:12 AM - 6:58:05 AM (113 secs, 00:01:53)
    Total: 116 secs, 00:01:56
    Elevation(GPS) : 0 11.35 14.046 m
    Altitude(Barom.): -1.55 15.07 18.6 m
    Vertical speed : -8.65 -0.08 1.79 m/s
    Max speed : 31.1 km/h
    Max target dist.: 226.6 m

Sats: 6 9 10 (min/avg/max)

Voltage: min. 14.9, max. 16.8 V : Battery decline seems kinda OK for 113 seconds.
    Current: 12.7 50 69.1 A
    Wattage: 199 787 1091.78 W
    Capacity: 1606 mAh

Motor1: 1.0 6.0 8.3 A Temp: 17 32 40 °C
    Motor2: 0.6 5.4 12.1 A Temp: 17 31 43 °C
    Motor3: 0.6 3.1 4.9 A Temp: 17 35 43 °C : What's going on with motors #3 and #7. Very low current draw.
    Motor4: 2.8 7.7 10.0 A Temp: 18 37 45 °C
    Motor5: 2.6 8.4 10.3 A Temp: 18 47 59 °C
    Motor6: 1.5 9.1 11.7 A Temp: 18 47 61 °C
    Motor7: 0.5 3.6 5.3 A Temp: 16 38 46 °C
    Motor8: 0.8 5.6 11.9 A Temp: 17 35 42 °C

Magnet Field: 110 114 124 % <- check! : This error needs to be investigated.
    Magnet Inclination: 54 57 63 deg

Errors / warnings:
    Compass is disturbed by magnetic fields!
    Error "RC Signal lost" (7) occured 6 times! : As Steve/Josh have pointed out this is the problem.
    FC-Flag "Emergency Landing" (4) occured 6 times!

Note that the above was not "Emergency Come Home." Either it did not have a "home" position set (you must wait until GPS fix before starting the motors), or you have not set the MK Tool Emergency Come Home parameters. I suspect you have not set the Emergency Gas (which is what determines the descent rate in "Emergency Landing."

Congratulations on joining the AAEC. (Andy's Arboreal Encounter Club). :)

Andy.

20. Steve Maller

Oh good! Does that mean I get my merit badge now, Sir?