/dist/images/branding/favicon

Satellite best mounting location

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Louis W., Feb 18, 2013.

1. Louis W.

Louis W. New Member

My satellite is mounted to the bottom of the tilt servo with the antennae oriented front to back, parallel with the long side of the servo body. I get a total loss of signal if the coptor gets past a certain distance (maybe 400' radius from transmitter) and my Radian reverts to its starting position.

If you extend the antenna by soldering a longer wire to it, does that actually increase reception? My guess would be the satellite just needs to me mounted in a better place - anyone had this issue and solved it just by moving the mounting location/position or is the longer antennae the answer?

2. John Fox

John Fox Member

NO! Sorry for yelling. Never modify the antenna length. They are tuned to a specific frequency. Very important!
    With only one satellite rx location can be very important. For best range do not mount the rx sat on the carbon fiber or the aluminum. Make you a mount out of plastic ,wood, fiberglass or any dielectric material keeping it at 2" or better from all metal/carbon structures, antennas vertical and in "line of site" to tx at all angles as best as possible. This simply means put it out away from carbon/meal stuff so as not to block or reflect the signal. I'll bet this will double your range.;)

3. John Fox

John Fox Member

4. Louis W.

Louis W. New Member

Thanks for the placement advice, John. I'll try your suggestions and post a reply once I have the results.