/dist/images/branding/favicon

Software Install Issue.

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Mike Hagadorn, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Right on the money Andy. I feel really stupid for doin that. So now, you've gotten me to install the software. I've determined through the Com & LPT that it's Com port 4. The radian shows in my device manager. I've followed the video you linked to get the radian into bootloader mode, but now my issue the Bootloader doesn't connect to target. I've changed the Comm's Link to port 4 in the Bootloader software. I'm sure its another stupid mistake on my part. Hopefully you can help. Thanks again Andy for getting me this far! I'm so excited to get this thing in full function.

Attached Files:

2. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Ok, I was able to get everything working now! I closed out the bootloader, re opened the stabilizer, got it to connect, now I just finished loading FW1.03 onto 1 radian. I'm on my way and very excited!! Couldn't have done it with you Andy! Thank you!

3. nathan yant

nathan yant New Member

I'm having similar problems, how do I get the new version 1.03 on to the bootloader? How do I get the boot loader to connect to target?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Glad that was the problem. I like the easy ones! :)

Andy.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Nathan:
    Could you give us a bit more information please?

Have you previously managed to get a connection between your PC and the a Radian or is the first time you are attempting this?

Also, what operating system are you running?

Can you describe the symptoms you're seeing?

Sorry about the Spanish Inquisition -- just need to figure out where to start.

Thanks
    Andy.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Kristian:
    Sorry, I didn't get to your posting about until now.
    Apart from the Zip file issue, what was the other problem you found? I'm sure others will have the same issue.

Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nathan I saw that you mentioned you are running on a Mac. Both Andy and I are Mac users. Here's some general guidance for you but as Andy said we need more information from you to make sure you get the correct advice.

1. On the Mac you should install a set of 'drivers' so that when you are on the PC you have COM ports available. Go to HERE and download the Mac_OSX-VCP Driver.zip file.
    2. Double click on the file to unzip it.
    3. A file called SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg will now be in your Downloads folder. Double click that file. This will mount the DMG file to your desktop.
    4. Double click on the DMG desktop file. In the new window double click on the Silicon Labs VCP Driver Installer. Complete the install.
    5. Now since I don't know how you are running windows (Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Bootcamp) I will outline the instructions for Fusion.
    6. Start your Windows instance.
    7. Connect the FreeFly Radian Programming board to your computer.
    8. You should see a popup window that asks if you want to connect to Windows or Mac. Select Windows.
    9. On the Windows machine open the Control Panel.
    10. Under Hardware and Sound click on 'View devices and Printers'. You should see an Icon that says Silicon Labs CP210X... Under that you will see the COM port that is assigned. Something like (COM6). The number will vary machine to machine.

Now you should be able to run the Bootloader or Config Software. Just remember that if the COM port you saw above is not "10" then you will need to manually select the COM port in the Radian software. It is located On the top menu under Window -> Comms Link.

See if this gets you going with the software.

Andy if I missed something edit away.

8. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Honestly Andy, I'm not too sure what the solution was for me not being able to connect the Bootloader to my radiant to upgrade the software. The only thing I did differently was load the Stabilizer software first, connect with that, and then loaded the bootloader. Aside, from that, I found everything I was having trouble with in this forum, like confirming the Port # to use in the Stabilizer and Bootloader by going to the Device Manager and looking up the port under Com & LPT. I also watched the video you linked to someone else about getting the Radian into Bootloader mode. That might actually be Nathans problem!! A lot can actually go wrong if you think about it. Placing the bootloader cable into the radian wrong, connecting the USB adapter to the bootloader cable wrong, wrong port connection, etc etc. BEST part is, everyone here are good people and aren't selfish. I'm glad to be part of this community. Hopefully I'll contribute my part some day like you have to me. Thanks

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Kristian:
    Yeah....as you say, a lot can go wrong. The really hard part is not being able to see and hear what folks are seeing and hearing and being able to double check every little detail, any one of which being wrong could be the cause of the problem...that's why sometimes it comes down to a SWAG or USWAG as to what might be wrong. (SWAG = scientific wild-ass guess -- USWAG is the unscientific variety). :)

Andy.