/dist/images/branding/favicon

Software Install Issue.

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Mike Hagadorn, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

Trying to install Radian setup software on a PC.

Got it to install then get a invalid port 10 alert.

Is this an issue?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers
    Mike Hagadorn
    CLM

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike did you get this after you started the software or during the install? If it was after the you started the software you just need to manually configure the COM port to a valid COM port. At least I'm hoping that is the only issue. You can check the COM port with the Manage Computer function in Windows.

3. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

fixed!

Thanks Gary!

There will probly be a slew of questions comiming from me as I am a Radian noob.

Thanks for the quick response.

cheers
    mike

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Just to augment what Gary said, which Windows OS are you running, Mike? XP, 7, or 8?
    If it's XP, did you install the Virtual COM port drivers (7 and 8 do it automagically for you)?

In the Device Manager, when you have the cable connected to a Radian sensor, under the section COM & LPT, you should see a USB Serial Device with a COM port number assigned to it. If you have that, then set the Radian software to that COM Port number.

if you do not see a USB Serial Device, then you need to stop and fix that problem. All bets on using the Radian software are null and void and illegal in most States.

When changing the Radian software to use the correct port number grows old (and it will because you have to do this every time you use the Radian software), you can follow this procedure to assign COM 10 to the USB Serial Device: http://www.raveon.com/data_radio_info/usb-port-assignments-461/ (starting with "To force the FTDI driver software assign the same COM port number.")

Andy.

5. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

So I have installed the radian setup worked onto com 10.
    I was using a small laptop to work on the program and was having some issues where the drivers would conflict with my mouse.
    Went ahead and called it a night thining it was the comp glitching on me.

Came home to my desktop and still haveing the same issue after installing the softweare here.
    It will work for a bit then the mouse will start glitching out untill I unplug the radian setup USB guy.

any thoughts?

Cheers
    Mike

6. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

Aircraft Type: CS8
    Gimbal Type: FFS
    Radian Type 3 axis)
    Gimbal Power source: 12V to CC BEC @ 5V
    Gimbal Radio Type: DX8
    Radian Communication Protocol Spektrum satilite bound.

This is my wiring setup

Roll Sensor:
    Port
    1. daisy chain from Pan radian
    3. To Tilt sensor dasy Chain
    4. To Roll Servo

Tilt Sensor:
    Port
    1.from roll daisy Chained
    4.Tilt Servo

Pan Sensor:
    Port
    1.BEC
    2.nothing
    3.daisy chain to down to roll
    4. to Pan servo

Symptoms:
    Setup client is acting very strange.
    I am getting wierd slider reactions when I move the sticks. sometimes 3 channels will move with one stick movement.
    cant seem to make or save any adjustments. Even if I wer to I have no idea what I am acomplishing.

Sorry for the sidewasy video. I dont film with the I phone ever. I will try and update it for a better idea of what is going on.

cheers
    Mike Hgadorn
    CLM

Steps taken to resolve: played around with it for numerous hours to no avail.

Attached Files:

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mike I'll take the first stab at this.

1. In your setup video you are connected to the Slew radian. In the software when you click on the Pan-1 and then click Write. It should change from Roll to Pan when you next read it.
    2. The Slew entry is attached and controlled by each of the channels from your radio. Now I am going to struggle a bit since I don't have a 3 axis but which ever stick you want to control the rotation of the gimbal you would enter that number into the Slew box and click write. Then the stick you picked should control the slew.
    3. Check to be sure that you have a 3 position switch controlling the Mode function. Default is a switch assigned to Channel 5.
    4. Lastly make sure that you don't have overlapping switches/channels on the Spektrum. You shouldn't see multiple channels moving when you are only moving one control. May some type of mixer is setup on the radio?

You would repeat the above for each of the other Radians. They Tilt/Roll seem to be working but I didn't see you try to control the tilt in the video. Probably need to me sure the Skew on that one is set to the right channel on your transmitter.

Others who are running 3-axis with Spektrum hopefully will jump in.

8. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

Making progress. sort of. Thanks for the info.

I have set up all of the channels and switches but I think there still is a problem.
    There are two boxes in the Radian Stabilizer Config
    DSM2-1024
    and "Off unless using Spektrum.

Using a DX8 along with the satilite modual I figured I would be checking both of those boxes.
    Checking the top box causes my input channels to go haywire as seen in the video I showed.
    I didn't have multiple channels overlaping or mixing on the TX.

The values are corect if I don't check the top DSM2 box.

Also even though I am on spektrum equipment the box on the diagnostics window shows SBUS VALID.
    I belive it should show Spektrum Valid.

After the past few updates Tilt and Roll no longer stabilize. Just blinkiing lights.

Pan is the only active channel.

Still scratching my head.

Thanks for any info.

cheers
    Mike
    CLM

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mike what is the model number of the Satellite Receiver you are using? Some seem to be DSMX and others are DSM2. It sounds like yours is a DSMX type. In that case both boxes would be left unchecked. Are you connecting the Satellite to the Pan Servo? And what happens if you check the "Off" box, does the Spektrum valid come on then? Sorry I am trying to giure this out without the benefit of having a spektrum system.

Not sure why the Spektrum box doesn't highlight. Maybe Andy or others will know that are using Spektrum.

10. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

oh dang.

I have the DSMX version.
    I am connecting the satellite to the pan Radian.
    I will leave both boxes unchecked and see what goes down.

Thanks Gary!

11. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

Gary That worked!

what a dinger.
    It always seems to be something silly like that.

Thanks so much for taking the time to lend a hand.

Happy Flying!
    Cheers
    Mike Hagadorn
    Cloud Level Media

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

So did you finally get any good snow up your way? I do the summer art shows up in Breck and a good buddy, Doug Tomlinson, is also a photographer and operates the gold mine tours in Breck.

13. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

We did get a few inches but we are still way bellow average. Skiing is still thin in most places.
    After coming back from BC its hard to get motivated to battle the crowds.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me work through the issues.

Just a quick recap of my setup experience.

I was using a small acer laptop to start. I am sure quite a few folks that run MAC are using it since its cheep and portable for on the road programing. I was getting glitches with the mouse and the Radian update software. Still have to work on that. I am sure its a com or driver setting that I have to figure out.

Once I got the software working correctly on my home desktop and figured out the setup my main issue was the Spekturm satiiite module.
    I have the DSMX model not the DSM2 this makes a world of diefference in the setup. If I was to check the boxes for DSM2 and Spektrum the gimbal would not work properly. Crazy slider imputs and so forth as well as general looseness!. So I left all 6 boxes unchecked for pan tilt and roll and it seems to be functioning properly.

Now on to fine tuning with camera onboard.

Gary drop me a line when you are in town this summer!
    Lets fly!

cheers
    Mike Hagadorn
    CLM

14. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I, too, am having trouble installing my Radian software on my Tablet PC. I've been able to start the boot loader, but the actual Radian Stabiliser software won't load. I tried clicking on the setup icon, and i get an error stating that it could not open the file named: .....\temp\temporary directory 2 for the setup.lst. At times, the folder itself will just close. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Kristian: Are you using a non-English version of Windows, please? Either way it sounds like a Windows-related problems. Folders don't spontaneously close -- well, they shouldn't.

Andy.

16. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

As far as I know I'm using an English version of windows. It's a factory Eee PC.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. Well, it was just a shot in the dark.
    And just to clarify, the issue is that you click on the setup.exe program to install the RadianStabilizer software -- and that's when the failure's happening, right?

Which version of the Windows does the Eee PC run, please?

Also, is the message that you really see exactly as shown between the quotation marks: "....\temp\temporary directory 2 for the setup.lst" ? It might be helpful for JohnC (who wrote the code to see the actual message -- might you be able to capture a screen grab and post it?

Thanks
    Andy

18. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

No prob! I appreciate the help!! You're correct when the error message occurs, when I click on the setup.exe to install the radian software. I included a few pictures from my phone of the error, as I'm primarily a mac user (and the tablet pc is TINY).

The Tablet PC is currently using Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

Hopefully this can help you help me a little. Thank you again!

Attached Files:

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Can you confirm that you have unzipped the downloaded zip file before you start doing the install, please?
    The error message in photo 2-1.jpg suggests that you might be trying to run the setup program from within the zip file.

Thanks
    Andy.

20. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Good call Andy. In the first photo, top left I can see "extract all files".