/dist/images/branding/favicon

Single Operator Graupner 2-axis?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Gary McCready, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

CS6 with 2-axis gimble, Graupner MX-20/GR-24 :
    Been reading the threads and am still a bit confused
    Can I just use the tilt axis I use now, through the MK FC, to also control the Radian?
    Do I need another channel to turn the Radians on and off?
    What is the resister in the wiring diagram do? I already have my servos supplied by a BEC.
    Do both Radians need input from the Rx (PPM). Apparently I can add another Rx on the same model control with Graupner (master/slave). Is this a better/easier solution?
    Thanks,
    Gary in Salisbury, MD

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary​
    Firstly if it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/
    There is a good diagram from Jeff Scholl to show the wiring for your setup. You don't need to use the FC board with that setup. Don't think it would work. http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...y-radians-to-my-mks-gr24.786/page-2#post-9979
    You do need a channel to turn Mode 0,1,2. It can be a rotary switch or slider.​
    Resistor plugs into the servo wire that originally went to the potentiometer that was on that servo.​
    Yes they need a PPM (or other type of input) so that you can control them, like tilt.​

3. Gary McCready

I'm not sure my GR-24 can output another channel (ie 10) when it is already outputting PPM on channel 8. I might be totally wrong here? The MK requires the SUM and the Tx setup that way.
    (changed it to my real name, now to remember it when I log in...lol)

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Look at how Jeff sets up the wiring. He is splitting signals, etc. It will take some customization of some servo cables.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary:
    I've got a GR-24 set to use SUMO, and it simultaneously outputs PWM on all the other ports as well as the SUMO -- does that answer your question? I checked with an oscilloscope....and verified it in practice.

Andy.

6. Gary McCready

Thanks Andy. I also read that some pilots just used the servo control output from the MK FC to do the tilt. I already have it wired this way. Could I just use the MK for the tilt and another channel for on/off? I was hoping by using the MK servo output I could still use MKTools to limit servo travel, and keep my arms out of the picture?

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

In have a CS8 with FF 2-axis gimbal with 2 Radians, and I followed Jeff's diagram, although it was a slightly earlier version. Radians are coming directly out of the GR24. I have a Graupner mx20 dial controlling gimbal tilt, and a 3-position switch controlling Radians OFF-STABILIZE-TILT setting. None of this goes through the MK FC, and MK Tool knows nothing of it.

8. Gary McCready

Thanks Steve, Andy, and Gary: I thought if you were using the Sum Signals the other outputs would go through only channel 8. But obviously I can put the Radians on one of the other PPM channels. I'll let you know after I get it up and running!

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

From the code, it looks like you can use an FC to both fly the copter and control the camera, or use a dedicated FC to control just the camera.

Andy.

10. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Hi Steve. Do you use the 5V from the gr24 or do u use a separate power source? I herd that the FC might reboot if u use the 5V from the rx.
    Any thoughts?

G

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I use a separate 1200mA LiPo on my gimbal. I split it two ways. One way goes straight (12V) to my small FPV camera and my Mondo Extreme video TX. The other way goes to a Castle BEC which feeds 5V the Radians.