/dist/images/branding/favicon

Replacing the bearings on a QC-3328 motor

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Caveat: I've done the research, ordered up the bearings, ordered up the bearing tool I reference, but not done the actual replacement yet. I'll update this posting if my research proves either to be wrong or right!

---

If you notice that you've got a motor that sounds harsh when it runs, the odds are the bearings need replacing. When that happens, based on the research I've done (with the great customer service I got from Gareth Burrows of Boca Bearings -- you can reach him at gareth@bocabearings.com, web http://www.bocabearings.com), here's the kit that you need to order to replace the bearings with top quality ceramic sealed bearings: kit #BMK-080C-OS: http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/21490/xx-BMK080COS

This kit consists of two SMR694C-2OS #7 NB2 bearings that are ceramic, high-end, bearings designed for a dusty environment.

Bart, the administrator over at multirotorforums.com has developed a neat hand tool to swap out bearings without even having to unplug the motor wires: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?6648-Motor-Bearing-Press-Tool . He's also done an excellent video showing you how to use the tool at

You can order the tool by sending a Paypal payment to Bart at barchiola@gmail.com for $24.50. You'll get the bearing replacement tool, some replacement washers and spring clips.

Andy.

Jeremy Muir and Steve Maller like this.
  2. Pavlos Antoniou

I have this tool and its great...!!

3. Philip Ellerbroek

I did notice on Boca's page that they claim:
    RC Brushless Motor Orange Seal Ceramic bearing kits are the true secret weapon for serious RC racers. ABEC #7 tolerances makes the Orange Seal line the closest precision tolerance that Boca Bearings has to offer. The removable, non-contact rubber seals results in a bearing with less drag and that requires less maintenance than a typical shielded bearing. The Grade 5 ceramic Si3N4 balls will allow the bearing to be lighter and spin 50% faster than a traditional steel bearing. Free seal replacements are supplied upon request

Link: http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/21490/xx-BMK080COS

I'd be curious to see if this translated into better flight response, less cleaning maintenance, longer flight times, and most importantly for me being in the desert - lower BL temps. However, at $30/motor kit x's 8 motors, the hard ROI would need to be proven.

Phil

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Phil:
    I agree with you. It's not the kind of thing that makes me want to replace all the bearings unconditionally, but given a motor that's running rough, it'll be interesting to see if it's the bearings. I suspect it is, because, apart from the bearings what's likely to make that harsh noise -- could be crud in between the stator and the rotor, I suppose...but that should be easy to see once you disassemble the motor.

Andy.

5. Philip Ellerbroek

Andy,

"Dissassembled Johhny 5" (aka motor). Not crud. Not a bent prop shaft. Guess whats left? Yeah. Bearings. I can't bear the thought of having to change them already.

Phil

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ha! I like the Johny 5 reference, Phil.
    Sorry to hear the bearings are likely to be culprit. As I wrote elsewhere on the forum yesterday, I'm starting to realize that batteries and bearings are consumables. I expected the batteries, but not the bearings. :(

Andy.

7. Tommy - KnightDesignDev

Consumables are as listed
    1. Props
    2. GoPro housings
    3. Boom arms
    4. Boom Clamps
    5. Batteries
    6. Bearings
    3 of our motors are staring to show signs of wear. I'll be getting this on order ASAP.
    Thanks for the info !

8. Philip Ellerbroek

Add o-rings to the mix

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

And camera operators who'll work with me. :)
    (I'm joking.)

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  10. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Hey Andy,
    Have you replaced a set of bearings yet? Since the motor spins faster (according to boca) will that effect flight...if you only change one motor?

jim

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jim I have replaced a couple of sets with the Boca's and couldn't tell any difference in flight. Different sound with the new bearings on those motors but the FC would be controlling RPM based on how the copter is responding.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

My reading of Boca's assertion is that the motor is capable of spinning 50% faster, not that it will do so for the same input signals from the ESC. That would defy the alleged laws of physics! :)

Andy.

13. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Hey, Andy...

How do you like the new bearings? Also, do you have a source for the new C-clip? Any washers required?

How do you like that custom tool press? Looking to do my first bearing replacement and I need all the misc. bits... :)

Best,

Ben

14. Pavlos Antoniou

you have to buy new washers and Cclip for sure

You can buy them from Mcmaster http://www.mcmaster.com

15. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

16. Pavlos Antoniou

If its the same with 2814 tiger motor... then you have to buy

washers from mcmaster, 98032A436
    and these snap rings, 98541A112

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben you can order the tool by sending a Paypal payment to Bart at barchiola@gmail.com for $24.50. You'll get the bearing replacement tool, some replacement washers and spring clips. Tell him that you want the one for 4mm shaft as he has two sizes. He includes 20 washers and spring clips. That should get you started. If you do them without the tool and they get the least bit crooked as you try to insert them you can scare the motor housing rendering it useless. Also if you put force on the inside of the rings and not the outer ring you can damage the bearing. Bart's tool takes all of this into account and is quite frankly the 'correct' way to do this.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've not had a chance, what with the crappy weather and my DVD production schedule, to fly them, Ben. I'm hoping to fly them before summer... :(

Andy.

19. Bart Cocchiola

Bart Cocchiola New Member

Hi everyone and thanks to those of you that have purchased the bearing press tool from me.

The paypal address llisted above is incorrect. The correct paypal address for ordering the tool is

barchiola@gmail.com

The tool (including shipping) is $24.50 in the US and $27.50 international.

There is a 3mm version and a 4mm version, the size corresponds to the motor shaft, not the prop shaft. The 3mm tool fits bearings with an outside diameter of 8mm, the 4mm tool fits bearings with an outside diameter of 11mm. I'll be working on a tool for the larger series of motors (MT 3515 and MN series) in the near future.

Included with all orders are 20 replacement snap rings and 20 replacement washers.

Thanks again for your interest and happy flying.

Bart
    www.multirotorforums.com

20. Bart Cocchiola

Bart Cocchiola New Member

Can someone please correct the paypal addresses that are incorrectly listed in posts #1 and #17?

Thanks,
    Bart
    www.multirotorforums.com