/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balancing 5D and FS100

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Simon Nosek, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Simon Nosek

Simon Nosek New Member

Hello I have new Cinestar 8 with 3 axis gimball with radians and I want it to use it with Canon 5D MK III with EF 24-70 lens and with Sony FS100 camera with sony nex 18-55 lens.

I saw all Freefly videotutorials many times, but i cant find the ideal center of gravity at Canon and FS 100 too. It seems to need special adapter to move cameras more than standart mounting plate allows. Canon to the back (lens is heavy) and Sony to the fron - lens is to light.

Please can You send me somebody a detailed photo of ideal attaching Canon and Sony to Your 3 axis gimball?? Or just desribe how to make it.

Many thanx!

2. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Dont want to be rude, but a prime lens on your Canon such as the 24 or 28/2,8 IS would be.
    a.Much easier to balance.
    b.Better picture quality.
    c. Longer flight times.
    Regards from Sweden.
    /Janne
    And please make your username your full name, thats the rule here to make it more professional and avoiding spamrobots.

3. Simon Nosek

Simon Nosek New Member

User name chaged ... Sorry :)
    Canon EF 24/1,4 L II is only 150 grams lighter - so i dont thing that will helps.

If You mean Canon CANON EF 24/2,8 IS USM - it could be better to find god COG but it is not better lens. It is not L prime lens.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Simon, don't get too hung up on the 'L' vs. non-L thing. I've used the 24/2.8 and it's a terrific lens. And its weight makes it very appealing for using on the copters. Plus, with respect to the 24-70 lens, you'll find that lens prone to "creeping" because of the way its zoom works. If you want to use a zoom, I'd suggest the 17-40L, as its very light, has good optics, and is not a "push/pull" zoom. You'll also find that using a super-fast lens is not necessarily an advantage as achieving critical focus is hard once the camera's on the gimbal.

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

6. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Many non L primes are better than some L Zoom lenses, in this case very much so.
    And getting rid o even small weights is allways good for most copters.

Best regards.

/Janne

7. George Mosko

George Mosko New Member

Simon, let me know what happens with your fs100, we have finally flown ours, but are experiencing some difficulties. i have the cg perfect, but the lens is way too long and causes the camera to bounce. we are looking for a prime lens to make the camera overall shorter.