/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tools of the Trade - What folks are using for builds and maintenance

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Gary Haynes, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It was on Low....technically speaking torque is not a product of speed, so "it shouldn't matter." That said, I've stripped enough bolts, screws etc. in my time, that I prefer to use Low speed just for mechanical sympathy -- and Low speed is still a whole lot faster than "manual high speed with a ratchet am I done yet" speed. :)

Andy.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I use low as the High didn't seem to have enough torque.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I like that term. I may steal it. Actually I just did. ;)

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It goes quite nicely with the phrase "distinctly suboptimal." You can steal that too. :)

Andy.

5. Steve Maller

I found yet another use for my PVC pipe frame today. I realized I can use it as a stand for my "ground station" [sic]. I have a bunch of crap in one of my Pelican cases, and I stuck some velcro on the outside to hold my video receiver, and I realized today that it fits nicely on top of the frame.
    00011 00031916.jpg

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're much shorter in the image than in real life, Steve.
    Do you have to kneel in front of that ground station? ;)

Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Was looking for a better way to get a grip on the Dean's connectors that I use for powering my FPV setup. Similar question if you were using them on the gimbal. They are small and slippery and it is easy to pull on the wires rather than the connector. I ran across these when I was looking for some replacement Dean's. They are like small rubber bands and work very well. One on each Dean and make gripping much better. I got these at AlleRC.com.

IMG_0970.JPG

Colin Snow likes this.
  8. Joshua Barker

Joshua Barker New Member

Nice solution. The plug I prefer which is easier to plug in and out, solder, and has a higher amp draw capability is the Traxxas High Current Connectors.

http://www.maxamps.com/Traxxas-Female.htm

http://www.maxamps.com/Traxxas-Male.htm

We have used deans for years but when Traxxas released this plug I switched over and have not been disappointed. Much bigger surface area and plastic ridges are nice for easy pull apart. Also soldering is a piece of cake because you are just soldering to the pins then putting them into the plug. No melted plastic.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Joshua for high loads like the power to the motors through a powerboard a lot of folks are using EC5 connectors. They seem to have become a standard in the CS world and are what you see installed on the the new Freefly Motor Control set and batteries. I use the Deans only for low stuff like the FPV just to keep out dirty signals from the motors. Deans are a bit small and lighter.

10. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Compass Calibration on the field. I remember someone posting about using some rollers from sliding doors on top if a set of light stands. I went back to find the post but couldn't locate it. Thanks to whoever did that for pointing me in the right direction. Here's the solution we came up with.

We use Stroboframe QR's on all our gear, and use one to mount the Pelican monitoring case that the camop uses.
    I got 2 cheap casters at Home Depot (~$3 each) and used some leftover arctic silver to mount them to a plate.
    CompCaltable.jpg

Now, using the same tripod base that we always carry, we can calibrate the compass with two or even one person easily in the field.

Pardon the blurry shot. But it works very well to roll the Cinestar for calibration.
    CompCalTripod.jpg

Thanks to whoever presented the original roller idea, and others that commented. I didn't really steal your idea - As my old computer science prof used to say - " copying from one person is plagiarism, however copying from several is research.

Steve Maller likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

MIke Magee likes this.
  12. Gary Kaplan

Gary Kaplan New Member

The best tool you can invest in is a one that will let you understand the RF climate of your flying site. Know what waters you are jumping into before putting your expensive heli and camera in the air...

(WiFi)
    80211 Scan Example.png
    (GSM Cell Phone)
    GSM Scan Example.png
    (LTE-4G Cell Phone)
    LTE 4G Scan Example.png
    (5.8GHz nothing Tx'ing at 5.8, but something strange at 5.4GHZ)
    58GHz Scan Example.png
    Gary

Khurram likes this.
  13. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Ben,

I haven't used the Hitachi for my prop nuts yet, but for everything else, such as the screws to attach the gimbal, I use 'high-6.' I've compared tightening the screws by hand with the clutch settings on the Hitachi, and that's how I came up with '6.' Don't know if this helps at all. Just puttin it out there.

- Kristian

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I don't believe that the high-low speed alters anything but the rotation. The slipping clutch is just controlled by the torque setting....
    So 6 is 6 regardless of whether you're on high speed or low speed -- all that changes is how long it takes you to get there. :)

Andy.

15. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

16. Steve Maller

I have read on a couple of other forums of folks using a small butane torch to aid in soldering. I’m struggling with the high gauge wire (8 and 10 gauge) to get clean connections, such as EC5 and motor bullets. It looks like a butane torch might be better at heating both the wire and the connector.

Has anybody tried this?

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve what are you using for a soldering station? My Hako FX-951 with a larger tip (T15-D2) at 850F does a good job. Same unit used by QC.

18. Steve Maller

I have the Hakko, too. I’ve been using a very fine tip, but maybe I’ll go back to the wider tip. And I’m at 800, but I’ll put in a few more dilithium crystals and see if I can push ‘er to 850°F. :eek:

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The torches are *really* hot and approach the "weapon of mass destruction" stage -- very hard to control the "over-spray" from the flame. A soldering iron with a heavier tip will help -- the Hakko fine tip is way too small because it lacks the thermal mass.

On the other hand there's nothing wrong, for the heavier gauge work, to use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/D550PK-120-volt-200-watt-Professional-Soldering/dp/B00002N7S1

Just be sure to set it for medium rare....

EDIT: Oh, and it has the advantage that you wanneed to buy another tool. :rolleyes:
    Andy.

20. Steve Maller

Thanks for the advice, Andy. I’ll cool my jets for now.