/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony CX 730 stills.

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Alex Smart, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Hi,
    I´m having some trouble with the cx730 stills. They somehow come out with poor definition, they are not crispy.
    Im shooting in Auto 24mp.
    Alex

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Alex I tried stills with the 730 and was so disappointed I sent the camera back.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Alex:
    Do you have the same problem when the camera's on the ground, or just airborne?
    If it's just airborne, my guess is that the shutter speed is not fast enough and/or you have some vibration on the copter that's inducing camera shake, but it's hard to be sure without seeing a ground-based image and an airborne image.

Andy.

4. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

[quote="Gary
    OMG..I haven´t been doing many stils but now that I remember the first ones where blury to, I though it was due to vibration.Then I got involved in video and haven t really done any more till now. I m in the midle of shooting a property and aint looking good.What camera are you shooting still with at the moment?

.Andy.[/quote]

I ve diged the manual deeply and will do some more test tomorrow increasing shuter speed and reducing Iris for beter focus all around. I did a few on the ground, they re beter but not good enough...If you zoom in just a litle it looks like somebody painted it by hand..:confused:

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I had high hopes but since I couldn't find any samples or reviews of the still photo function I ordered one. Your cellphone camera would probably do a better job. :)

6. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I know. So when is 24mp still capture not really 24mp still capture.

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I shot some stills with the CX760 on the ground (just hand held) in bright daylight, and I was super unimpressed. Really not very good. Not sure why. My GoPro HD Hero3 is way sharper, and much easier to do stills with.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Wow Andy. Mine was nothing close to this.

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Andy, it's a really pretty picture, but when I look at the image at 100%, it's super over-processed in the camera. There's pixel smearing and noise reduction that just kills the details. At web resolution, it's no big deal, but for prints and whatnot, it's completely worthless IMHO. Compared to even a GoPro still, it's sub-par. I guess I'm spoiled from shooting with the 5D Mark III for stills.

Here are two of my recent aerial photos, one from the GoPro and the other from the 5D Mark III. At the pixel level, there's no comparison.

http://perspectivair.com/Aerial_20121115-07-09-01.jpg
    http://perspectivair.com/2013-01-27_12-02-38.jpg

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

There is definitely something wrong either with the cameras or the settings. I don't recall doing anything other than setting the camera to maximum still image resolution etc. Nothing super special at all. That image was taken as part of an early morning pano with the bird on AH and PH so I could concentrate on yawing and operating the shutter.

I'd be interested to see a test image from your cameras if you can upload it to a Dropbox public folder or equivalent....
    Andy.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve that's kind of what I remember. Andy if you open your image using Mac Preview and do about 6 zoom clicks on your photo you will see what Steve talks about. Looks very painterly. Do the same on his building photo (and his is 2.5mb vs 6.5mb on yours) and see the detail difference. Steve's does some pixelation but that is more a factor of the size of the file. Zoom out a couple of clicks and his holds together better.

But in the end how the photo is going to be used really decides what you need. Web site, 4x6 on the screen I don't thing you can tell the difference. Put it on an inkjet print at 20x30 and Steve's would probably win by a noticeable margin.

And I don't think mine was as good as Andy's. One huge benefit of the Canon 5D is that you can be in movie mode, trigger a still, and the movie mode will the resume filming. I miss that on the Nikon.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Them's be JPEG artifacts, I think.

When it comes to image quality, sensor size matters. ;) And the 5DM3 is pretty good. That's one thing that makes me hesitate with the Black Magic. Small sensor.

True. I'm waiting for the day that I trust everything enough (and have the lifting power) to launch my Hassie H4D-50 skywards....
    Now there is a sensor! :)

Andy.

15. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

My Gopro 2 is way sharper...

This is a shocker guys!!! If its 3 times more expensive than a GoPro, how can it have this crap still image???

...He said son, this life is rough and if a mans gonna do it hes gota be tough hahahaa!!! J.Cash said that..

Its definetly a get a new camera for stills ASAP. I can t sell this to a client who may want to print them up..:(

http://imageshack.us/f/708/dsc09625lb.jpg/

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I have to agree with you Alex. JPEG is definitely "lossy" compression.
    Where it really scores is the image stabilization for the video -- but even then the 5D Mk III is in a different league.

As you say, I'd hesitate to sell stills from it other than if I did the print and could keep it small enough.
    I wish it would record in still images in RAW, but there you go! :)

Andy.