/dist/images/branding/favicon

Will the M5 Travel Case work with Toad in the Hole?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Ty Frey, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Ty Frey

Ty Frey New Member

UPDATE: YES THE M5 TRAVEL CASE WILL FIT THE M5 RIGGED WITH TOAD IN THE HOLE AS WELL AS AN A7sII AND A SMALL LENS.

-----original post------

For those who have used the M5 Travel Case from Movi, a few questions:

1. Is there enough space to fit the M5 rigged with Toad in the Hole in the case?

2. Is there enough room in the case to leave a small (mirrorless/dslr size) camera on the Movi when storing it away in the case? I'm assuming if it's possible, one would have to remove the lens?

3. Are there any other good case options out there besides the Movi brand case and the Jason Cases options? I know for a fact that the large Jason Case for Movi M5 won't work with Toad in the Hole - I tried it with my rig and it makes the Movi too tall to fit. I could close and latches on the case but it was putting tons of pressure on the Movi - the top of the lid was bowing upward, not good!

Thanks!

#1 Ty Frey, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I wrote a long, boring novel about cases on another thread. Maybe take a look here:

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/m15-case-opinion.8354/

By the way, if you need extra foam padding, I went to Target and bought an inexpensive Full-size mattress pad in the bedding section, and cut a piece of that for the bottom of my Movi case underneath the furniture pad. It was the least expensive foam padding I could find.

3. Ty Frey

Ty Frey New Member

Hey Graham, thanks for the input. Ideally, I'm looking for a solution that I can use as a check-in for flights as well as day-to-day local jobs. It doesn't seem like you're using the Blue Hawk as a flight case, or are you? Still, that's a great solution for local gigs and seems like a pretty inexpensive way to keep everything safe on set. Good tip on the mattress pad - I have a few other pieces of gear that could benefit from something like that.

For what it's worth, our studios' Jason Case has been really great for our M5. It's circled the globe on many international flights and has held up to the abuse. If we are shooting on something like an A7sII we will even leave the camera (and lens) on the M5 between locations. There have been a few situations when we have wrapped shooting just before going to the airport and in the mayhem I forgot to break down the camera on the movi. It went through as checked baggage and came out fine on the other end. Not that I'd ever recommend that, but I'm amazed at how it's handled some hard miles.

Nice to speak with a fellow case-phile. I've stopped trying to explain it to my wife. We now consider it a minor addiction and luckily she's agreed to ignore it.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Oh, you need to fly it? I'd never fly my Movi in that tool box. I don't even allow it in the camera truck like that if I can help it. I worry about damaging the motors, but I'm OK leaving a camera on it if it's traveling in my vehicle or just around on location. I have a strict rule about removing all antennae from everything though, since I had one break off the Mimic in a case once.

Pelican cases only for me, and if you can carry it on, all the better. I still would just bubble wrap it or foam it out in a Pelican rather than a super-specific case like the original M5 case where the cage has to be a certain way.

I bought an additional Pelican case for flight, but mostly I do local jobs, so I ended up storing batteries in there a lot. :)

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ty Frey likes this.
  6. Ty Frey

Ty Frey New Member

Done. Sorry about that. You wouldn't happen to have an answer to my question above, would you?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Ty.
    No, sorry...I don't have the travel case myself.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

9. Ty Frey

Ty Frey New Member

Bump. Still waiting for an answer on this.

10. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Yes.

Yes, it will fit. As noted above, and in your own posts, not recommended for extended travel. We keep a 70D and prime, for our internal employee loaner kits, installed on the M5, in the case.

11. Ty Frey

Ty Frey New Member

Bryan! Thank you! God Bless! Happy New Year!