/dist/images/branding/favicon

transmitter?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Gustav Raberg, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I just got my 360 adapter and i´m starting to wire everything up. I have an old Futaba T6EX that i was planing to use at first for the gimbal. But it dosen´t work (no S-bus or PPM).

So i have to buy a new transmitter for the gimbal. what are u guys using?
    For the cinestar i use the MX20 so i might go with a MX12.

G

2. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

I have the same question.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The problem with two MX's is not so much the Tx, but the Rx -- both of them want to transmit telemetry and there's no way (unless you bind the two Rx to the same Tx) to shut off the telemetry. I'm not sure how others have solved this problem -- it manifests as really reduced Tx range which is definitely not a good idea!

Andy.

4. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Ouch Andy. So you mean to tell me I'm going tho have problems using the mx16 to fly and another mx 16 for the gimbal?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

6. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

That sucks! I thought it was a good idea to have the same tx make so you can bind the rx and fly the gimbal ( tilt) when you don't have CAM op.
    I ve seen that both Jeff at QC and the guys at kopterworx are using graupner for pilot and CAM.
    I just orded a mx12 yesterday and im thinking of sending it back!

What do u guys think? Is the problem solved if you bind the two rx to one tx? Or is there still a risk of signal los?

G

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

According to the Graupner documentation, if you bind two Rx to the same Tx, that works OK. The Rx and smart enough that one of them (I think it's the first one you bind --see below), will shut off the telemetry so there's no interference.

Here's the relevant section from the GR-24 documentation:

2.1.1.Binding“ multiple receivers in one model​
    If required, it is also possible to bind multiple receivers to the transmitter for a particular model. The first​
    step is to bind each receiver individually using the procedure already described.​
    When the system is in use, the receiver which was bound last is the Master receiver. Any telemetry sensors​
    installed in the model must be connected to this unit, as only the Master receiver transmits sensor​
    data using the downlink channel. The second and all further receivers operate in parallel with the Master​
    receiver but in Slave mode, with the downlink channel switched off.​
    The control functions can also be distributed amongst multiple receivers; this is carried out using the​
    Channel Mapping function of the SMART-BOX (Order No. 33700). In the same way it is possible to assign​
    one control function to multiple receiver outputs; a typical example would be the use of two servos​
    for each aileron instead of only one, etc.​

I don't know of any way to have two separate Graupner Tx each working with it's own Rx and shutting off the telemetry on one of the Rx.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

8. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I just whent thru the thread at MK in german and it seams like if you use two graupner tx u have to bind the rx and program the cam tx as trainer. But it seams like there is some isues doing this with chanel assignments.

I think ill be sending my mx12 back and get a spektrum.

G

9. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Would the spektrum Dx6i dsmx do the trick or should i get something else?

G

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've used both the DX6i and the Futaba 8FG Super for camera control. The problem with the DX6i is that that, as more camera controls become operable using radio-control, you might run out of channels. Also, the 8FG has some side "slider" levers that have the potential to be more useful than switches.

Andy.

11. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

I took mine up today for the first time shooting video. (Pretty bad) I'm running 2 Graupner MX-16 for pilot and gimbal and had no discerning problems. Lost signal to the gimbal for about 5 seconds but other than that no problems. We were also flying very close so my experience may not be indicative.

12. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Nice to hear it went well! I would be very concerned if I would lose signal even if it would be for just a second. I've been in contact with the distributer here and he never heard the problem before. He promised to look in to it.

G

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

See my post today about a range test. Two MX-16's sending to a single MC-32. Range nearly 1.6 miles.

14. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I saw it. Great info! It would be nice if you had two separate graupner tx with two rx just to find out if they are compatible. I'll get my mx12 tomorrow and I'm not sure ill send it back yet. According to the guys at kopterworx you shouldn't have any issues if you bind the mx12 and rx a couple of meters away from the other rx and repeat it "a few times" to get different signals!? It would be nice to hear what the guys at QC thinks about this because they also sell there RTFs with two graupners, one pilot and one cam op.

G

15. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Like I said I lost signal. Thank god it wasn't the pilot that lost it but the gimbal.

16. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Is Mark the only one flying two graupners? Great feedback from Mark and Gary but there got to be someone else flying with graupners for a loonger period who can give some vital info.
    My dilemma is that I have a mx12 arriving tomorrow and I have a shoot to go to Thursday-Friday and I don't want to install it if I risk crashing my copter. My local shop have the dx6 in stock so I can just swing by and get that but I rather go for the mx12 with its 3way switches.

G

17. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Gustav I can't really say with any experience. I just got the beast finally in the air and it was my first test flight. (Pretty Ugly). From what I gather the problem is the telemetry which is built into the MK boards via the Graupner TX/RX. I didn't experience any issues other that that brief failure between the TX/RX for the gimbal for a second or two. It could have been a number of things that were not related to the radio.

I heard if you put the radio (camera radio) in teach/pupil mode it will kill the telemetry and also kill the problem. Seriously I wouldn't sweat the whole thing too much. Take it out for a test flight and see how it works. I'm sure everything will be fine. Make sure you have position hold on so if you loose signal the bird will come home.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Just to clarify:

1. Ensure that you have set the Come Home Altitude with MK Tool to something rational (e.g. 25 meters).
    2. Wait until you have a GPS fix before you start the motors otherwise you will not have a "Home" to come back to!
    3. Then try with the two radios.

Without steps 1 and 2 you may have a fly-away or a "vertical descent to landing where the signal is lost."

Andy.

19. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I got my fail safe programmed but I rather not use it :)

So here is the answer to have two graupner hott rx in the same copter without interference.
    Since the mx12 is already programmed to the specific gr12 that comes in the box you would need another gr12 to make this work. Since the telemetri only transmits to one receiver when you bind another to the mx12 this is what you do. You bind the two gr12 receivers tho the mx12 but you only use the second one (the slave) and leve the other one (the main receiver transmitting the telemetri) at home on the bench. When you turn the mx12 on you will get a warning pip (you can turn off the sound in the menu) because the main gr12 is at home powerless but you will be able to control he slave gr12 on the gimbal without interference from the telemetri.

G

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gustav:

That sounds like a good way to "turn off" the telemetry in a HOTT receiver.
    Good thinking.

As you say, it takes a spare receiver to do it, but that certainly seems to solve the problem consistent with Graupner's documentation.

Andy.