/dist/images/branding/favicon

Toad and The Ring

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Dale McCready, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Hi there,

I set up my next drama shoot today with classic handles, Jibs and Hard mounts and the Movi Pro Ring.

Interestingly I found that the toad QR adaptors for all the parts where I've added one on myself fit really snugly with the Movi Pro Hole. But the Ring is the one with the slop in it. To get rid of it you have to tighten the lock up quite tight.

To repeat, there's no slop in the Classic handles I've made up myself with a purchased Toad.

Also, we cranked up the Ring connection and... The bolt sheared apart.

Luckily I had an older black kip with bolt from another Toad set to replace it immediately but I can see that the Ring is not going to work well for me because of this. It looks different to the other parts with more alloy cut away to me. I think this may be where the extra slop is coming from. This piece might need a re-design.

As it stands I use an Easyrig to lift (Master Primes!) so I'd be using the classic handles anyway for this job but wanted to post my observation regardless.

2. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I have the Movi Pro Ring too and I mounted a M15 on it with the Toad in the Hole. I noticed quite a bit of play and could hear it moving while I walked with a Red Epic on it. Didn't make me feel too comfortable. I took the m15 and mounted it on the handle bars it came with and no slop. I also tighten the lever and it helped a little but there was still some slop or looseness to the connection on the MoviPro.

3. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Here's a video of what I am talking about. The quick connector from the M15 to the Pro ring connector.

4. Mike Hechanova

Mike Hechanova New Member

I just got my Movi Pro recently and noticed this issue as well. It happens when tilting the ring and as the weight shifts, you can feel the "slop" in the connection. I just ordered a low profile handle and the TITH connection does indeed look different the the one for the ring. The one on the ring has a angled/grooved pattern to it vs the smooth round TITH connection on the LP handle. Not sure if that's what's causing it.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Movi Pro. This is just one thing that jumped out at me early on. Would love to hear any advice to address this. Thanks all.

5. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

We too have this issue. I think there may have been a tolerance issue when machining this part.

Josh

6. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

There is a tolerance issue, I used a high-end caliper to measure the difference. It's enough to give slop or wiggle on the rig when walking with it.

Attached Files:

Noel Mathew likes this.
  7. Aaron Marquette

My ring had slip too and Freefly is sending a replacement. Great support!

8. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Yes I am getting a new ring sent to me too

9. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Okay great responses, I'll get in touch with them, I would prefer to sort this out.

10. Anthony Fung

Anthony Fung New Member

Thanks for this thread! Adding my name to the list of users with this issue. Contacted freefly.
    Problem sorted by Darek in under 5 minutes! Great great support.
    I just needed to tighten a screw

#10 Anthony Fung, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. Josh Lambeth

Tightening the screw helps, however if you are switching between MoVI Ring and say the ALTA or standard handles from the M10-M15 it will be way to tight and you will have to loosen it back up.

My new ring should arrive today. :D

Josh

12. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Yes Freefly have been great and I've got a new Ring coming. Looking forward to using it more like that.

13. Josh Lambeth

Received my new ring... and problem still exists. I need to measure the new one and see if it's also out of spec. :(

Josh