/dist/images/branding/favicon

Things you did not know about the Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ramesh from your iphone in the app store do a search for 'vibration analysis'. Software is from Diffraction Limited Design. Just did the search and it was the first one that came up. Help file is at www.dld-llc.com

2. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Gary
    thanks a ton.
    installing it now
    wow... its super
    now to occupy my day in finding that vibration

ramesh

3. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ramesh. When you do the testing you can use MKTools to manually power up a single motor. If you have previously done a good job of balancing your props I would suggest that you remove all of the props and test first with just the motors and the Vibration iPhone tool. Testing one motor at a time. See THIS post on how to do motor balancing. If that doesn't do it I would do a motor and single prop one at a time after securing the copter to your test bench. Obviously if you run up the motor with the prop installed you need to do it safely and carefully since that spinning prop makes for an amazing sushi/ginzu/slice/dice/chopper device that you don't want to get to close to.

If you have not balanced the props then buy a good prop balancer, like a Du-Bro, do a web search on how to balance props and get them balanced first. Most of the APC props that I have had all need to be balanced, either the blades or the hubs or both.

4. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Gary,
    thanks for the inputs.
    always helps to get info to avoid disasters
    wow.
    that link u gave for the video on balancing motors is just awesome
    I notice that he has just places the i phone on the copter towards the motors...
    is there any need to tie it down or just placing is good enough
    i also notices somewhere on the forum that a guy had placed boom clamps and then ties the iphone down with a rubber band.
    thanks a ton
    looks like loads of work ahead for me

ramesh

5. Pavlos Antoniou

M
    There is on the appstore... I download it via i4

6. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Pavlos
    many thanks
    got it on i4 finally
    and its beautiful

ramesh

7. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Greg.
    I have been going through my video again and again
    it does not seem to be a problem of vibration.
    i guess vibrations would case jelloing/jelling to a degree depending on the severity of vibrations
    but i think my problem is of shake....
    i am up loading the video here so i guess u would be able to judge it much better than me.
    this video is however without the 3 dampers ($75 each) on my Hex
    when i did it with the CineStar dampers the shake was more
    so have a look
    in the mean time i have modified things a bit,
    my Hex now has 4 CineStar Damper instead of three,,,
    i am using Canon 7D.
    Coming Sunday, i will do another video with 4 dampers installed on the Hex
    lets see if results are better
    i do have silicone damper stud like things... 4 of them , between the Canon and the mount
    so that has taken care of the fact that there is no jelloing i suppose
    all any any suggestions would be most welcome
    here is the link since it seems i cannot upload a video directly ???
    http://youtu.be/RgxTBJhm0r0

ramesh

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ramesh as you do your testing try it without any dampers between the camera and the mount. Tabb mentioned on another thread that with the Radian's you may be introducing vibrations using that type of setup.

9. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Gary,
    thanks for that input.
    here is the link to the same video, looks cleaner as i saved it in a diff format for u tube, in the previous one there was some odd visual effect.
    http://youtu.be/yWm0lRAJ4NY
    also i am attaching the image of the damper below the camera, which i am using, which helped me do away with jelloing/jelling affect.
    they do not cause much movement of the cam.. but will absorb the vibrations that cause jelloing
    which i thought the CineStar dampers for the whole cam mount would have done for sure...
    but i got tooo much of shake with the CineStar mounts
    Anyway
    tomorrow my test is with 4 CineStar dampers on a Hex with 2 axis cam mount, and the damper below the cam
    and will put up the video
    on the field itself i will also remove the adapter i made for the damper below the cam
    and take another video
    will put up both videos so we can compare

ramesh tahlan

Attached Files:

10. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

hi all
    could someone pl answer a nagging question i have.
    some of the videos that have been put up using the CineStar cam mount with Radians using the original dampers ($75 each), are they raw or have the owners used software stabelisation and then put them up for viewing.
    Cause the videos r simply super, almost as if a guy is holding the camera in his hand and floating around in a baloon.
    the videos just look flawless
    can that be achieved without software stabelisation
    i will start the process of vibration identification with the iPhone app starting next week
    but i get the feeling that my problem is really not that kind of high frequency vibration, that are caused by motor/prop vibration cause that would cause jelloing/jelling
    i seem to be having some kind of a shake
    i think tomorrow when i take up the machine.. will ask a friend to zoom in on the whole machine and video it to see if there are any jerks being introduced by the Wookong M controller
    And by the way, i was using cam stabelisation by Wookong M earlier,,, but not happy at all..
    and after changing over to Radians,,, things r far far much better.
    so the Radians r doing a fantastic job for sure,
    but i have to do something, just another 10%, and i think my videos would be very good, considering the video in the link i just put up in my last comment, i know i am just 10% away....
    ramesh tahlan

11. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Big problem here :(

Tried 2 laptops and an imac running Parallels, whatever I do ( tried all possibilities I could find in the topic's) its imposible to get a connection with none of the three Radian's, also changed windows system language from Dutch to Engles, all without any result.
    One laptop is running windows 7 / other one Vista / Imac Parallels windows 7
    For me its looks like there is something wrong with the USB adapter.

Hope you guy's can help me out here!!

Full size: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12259815/img/Radian/foto.jpg
    [​IMG]

Full size: http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12259807/img/Radian/Radian-problem.png
    [​IMG]

12. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Maria
    may be the same problem that i faced
    that particular Radian has not been programmed
    or rather, while programming individual Radians... this one may have not accepted the programming
    it happened to me
    and on one occasion
    i programmed it three times and then it accepted the programming
    and after that every thing was good
    just a though, cause all the images u have put up seem to be indicating that the Radian did not take the programming
    Ramesh

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mario as Ramesh says try using the bootloader program to re-install the firmware to the Radian that is not working.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Mario: Can you confirm that you are NOT running the Radian software from within the compressed Zip file that you downloaded?
    You need to unzip the file and have the Radian software in an ordinary folder.

Thanks
    Andy.

15. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Ramesh/Gary/Andy,

Thanks for the quick responses :)

I see that I have made a typing eror :(

The line ( its imposible to get a connection with one of the three Radian's ) must be ( its imposible to get a connection with none of the three Radian's ) I have corrected the post.

Gary,
    For now a have a working CS3 mount that only needs some fine tuning on the roll axis, I am afraid that with all the bad signals I am getting that I will be further away from home when trying to re-flash the firmware's, I will also loose my settings because I don't know them.

Andy,
    On all the PC's the software is properly installed, half a year ago I programed the Radian's with the same software on the Imac (Parallels)
    and that was no easy road!! but I have managed it with a lot of trial and erors.

I always get the timed out message in the Update box when pushing the read button, does this means that I need to adjust a time setting in the USB config?

Thanks in advance,

Mario

[​IMG]

16. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Mario
    from ur earlier post where u have put up 3 images
    i noticed that u have not clicked on any of the options in Stablisation software- Spectrum Valid.... PPM Valid ..... S Bus Valid
    and in the configuration software if u r using JR or Spectrum,,, then u have to tick both... DSM2 and "off unless using Spectrum"
    after that we have to click Connect
    so i guess that may be problem why getting "times out"
    cause noting would seem connected to the software
    thats what it seems to me
    ramesh

17. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Ramesh,

As I noted before all possibilities that I know are tried.

But one thing though, I dit the previous setup with a Spektrum satellite and changed the Spektrum RX for a Graupner Hott RX on PPM, is it possible that this causes the problems?

Mario

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mario with the Graupners, if everything is working correctly (USB adapter connected, software showing connected, green, and the Graupner RX powered up) the PPM check box will automatically trigger if you are connected to the first Radian in the daisy chain. So if your RX is connected to the Pan Radian then PPM will automatically be checked. Any Radian further down in the connection chain will show PPM. Those three boxes are not user selectable. If you are using Spektrun then depending on the RX module being used you may need to use the DSM-1024 checkbox.

Can you take a couple of more screen shots. A shot of the Drivers tab and a shot of the Device Manager COM listings. Might be a driver issue. Are you using a 'real' windows computer or Parallels on the Mac? What version of Windows?

19. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Gary.
    thanks.. i did not know that..
    i used to click those before clicking connect
    so i though it would be like that
    still learning lost of things
    this is one reason i felt the Manual could have been more comprehensive
    Ramesh

20. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Gary,

I will make any screen shot you want but I don't understand wat is missing in this post ?
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...t-know-about-the-radian.221/page-7#post-12421

Mario