/dist/images/branding/favicon

Things you did not know about the Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The Pan axis isnt as important as the other two to balance... at least in my experience. Try moving things around up on the main frame tubes. The lower your weight, the more it will want to oscillate.

Brad

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mario I don't remember but are you using the Radians on the ship with the wire vibration dampers? If so you might want to consider that they may be inducing the issue. Would you have a way to reduce or eliminate the dampers to take them out of the equation?

3. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Brad,

Ok thanks, I will look in to that.

Mario

4. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Gary,

Don't see why the wiredampers can have anything to do with this problem, imo it must be easier for the Radian's because of the lack of vibrations transmitted to the mount.

See also the video when the pan is drifting, there was no movement on the wiredampers.

Mario

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've attached the latest firmware about which I know. I thought I saw that you were on this same version. Couldn't hurt to reflash each of the Radians, but I do them one at a time and test to see whether it makes any difference.

Andy

Attached Files:

6. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Hi Andy and Mario and Gary
    made some solid changes to my Hexcopter
    central body is now 3 mm earlier it was 2 mm
    arms are of a bit more thicker material and go all the way into the body. earlier it went in only 40mm.
    so the machines feels more rigid now
    have done a video, link below. hope u can give some criticism
    BUT
    it does not still appear to be as smooth as what some guys have put up which r supposed to be raw videos.
    those raw videos look like they dont need any digital stabelisation.
    so looks like from this point onwards, mechanical solutions r gonna be a headache for me... just not able to figure out what else i can do.

and your analysis that earlier it was a flying tuning fork was spot on. hahahaha
    this time i did not see any of that shiver that would happen every few seconds.
    Camera Canon 7D
    total flying weight 5.5kg
    wheel dia 860mm
    Ramesh.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ramesh you may simply be flying in prop wash which is turbulent air. What are seeing in video where the copter is moving forwards at something like a walking speed?

8. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Gary,
    The copter was moving at about half walking pace. Now that u mention prop wash, I guess the cam mount would always be in prop wash. I am using 15 in carbon props. Do I need to use 12 in props ???
    You mean the raw video should be better than what I am getting ???

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ramesh yes it could probably be better but I would do the test at about 4-5 meters above open ground, away from the bushes which may be stirring things up. You video IS much better. The other testing that you can do to fine tune is to run a flight with the Radians in the off position then the same flight (typical out and back) with them turned on. Then do a compare.

10. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Gary
    thanks for those inputs.. and the encouragement,, i am just expecting about 5 % improvement, and i know it will suddenly all fall in place,
    when one is standing at edge of the cliff... its just one tiny step that takes u over the edge
    i feel i am there now,
    and hoping someone pushed me from behind
    and some of u guys, Andy and you have been the guys to make me come all this way
    So i have to crack it,
    that test will be done soon.
    Ramesh

11. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Ok , had some time to look at my problem.

Tried to load the latest firmware but I already had it and the bootloader didn't accept to load the same firmware that I freshly downloaded.

To be sure I also calibrated the sticks from the MX-20 without any results.
    Also changed the deadband to 10 without any results.
    When I setup the Radian's for the first time last year I had changed the zero center positions from the MX-20 sticks to get a zero input on the Input Channel Monitor, I changed the center positions from the MX-20 sticks back to zero and powered the Radian's on and the Pan is almost steady when activated, at least much better than before. :)
    But what I don't understand is that now all the channels on the Channel Input Monitor are off center and also the slew and servo out are off center :confused:
    Also the Curent-Angle-Demand changes when the Pan is drifting, so the Radian must know it is drifting!!??

The serial number of the pan Radian : 0101-0188:000000

[​IMG]

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That serial number doesn't look right to me. Let me do some checking by emailing the Radian designer.

Andy.

13. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Andy,

Must I also check the serials from the other ones? can I do that without using the bootloader?
    I also aded some more info in the above post.

Mario

14. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Serial Radian on pan, first mentioned serial (0101-0188:000000) was a bit of, I saw the B for an 8
    [​IMG]

Serial Radian on tilt
    [​IMG]

Serial Radian on roll
    [​IMG]

15. John Cunningham

Hi Mario,

The serial numbers are OK and the bootloader should let you reprogram the same firmware if you want to. What error do you get ?.

On the signal : The Radian uses a nominal centre pulse of 1500us, but some radios (like Futaba) use 1520us. Hence the 5% difference. It does not matter at all : The Radian reads your null point when the mount axis is turned on (so make sure the stick is centred when you do turn it on).

On the output, it is never at exactly zero% because the Radian must find the exact 'null' point for driving the servo and it will vary slightly on every channel due to the tolerance of the resistors used to replace the pot. You don't notice this because the Radian finds this automatically for you - unlike some other systems which make you set it exactly during some setup/calibration pantomime ;-).

JohnC

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mario:
    Sorry for the false alarm about the serial numbers....
    And thanks for responding John.

Andy.

17. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

JohnC,

Ok thanks for the reply.

About the bootloader, when trying to load the same firmware, looks like the bootloader is only checking the firmware
    and is finished in a blink of an eye, normally you see the bar indicator slowly go by I think.

About the drifting, I don't understand why the Curent-Angle-Demand changes when the Pan is drifting in actif remode mode, so the Radian must know it is drifting!!??

Mario

18. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Must be the gyro's that are drifting I think, sounds logical when you think about it that accelerometers don't work on a pan axes.

Are you guy's thinking of putting in a compas especially for the pan unit? that will stop the drifting for sure ;)

19. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

hi guys
    some problem. may have been self created
    I ran out of space on my PC in C drive
    so i uninstalled a whole lot of programes to create space to find a solution to merge two drives, so i also uninstalled Radians software
    now i have loads of space
    have down loaded Radian softwares,
    but when i install the Radian software i get this warning
    Setup cannot install system files or update shared files, if they are in use.
    Before proceeding, we recommend that you close any application you may be running.
    But i had uninstalled the software through - Control Panel - uninstall...
    Help.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Ramesh:
    I'm afraid this may have turned into a Microsoft Windows configuration problem -- I wish there was some clear advice that I can give to help you solve this, but it sounds like Windows had become thoroughly confused. I refer to it as WinRot.

You might try doing a boot into Safe Mode, then restarting into normal mode and see if that fixes things, otherwise I'm afraid you might be looking at falling back to a backup that you made before you ran out of space.

Andy.