/dist/images/branding/favicon

Stabilization in post?

Discussion in 'Software Solutions' started by Matt Barker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's not such good news, Duane. Adobe Premiere seems to be where FCP 7 users are going rather then deal with FCP X (at least the original version of FCP X -- I gather Apple had a Coke Classic moment and have improved FCP X now). Avid seems to be a little "clunkier" to use -- but that's received prejudice....

Andy.

2. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Yeah, I think that what I'm hearing from a lot of users are that when your 15 and 16 years old the get sucked in to the allure of Mac and the affordability of FCPX. The fact of the matter is that FCPX is a pretty capable program, but Apple dummied it down to look more like a steroided version of iMovie so casual users wouldn't be afraid of making the step-up.
    Once they've learnt on FCPX, most will stay there unless for some reason an upgrade to ACS is necessary - like in my case, I bought CS5.5 because of LR, PS etc and hey bonus...PP is included.
    In the pro and up levels of editing, I think most have, or plan on, making the switch to Adobe.

3. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

I've been working on AVID for a couple of years now in LA, I couldn't recommend it enough. Incredible media management and with so much post-work to do with our aerial footage, having multiple editors in the same project helps a ton.

Also I'm working on a AVID to Premiere workflow that will allow offline edits to be done in MC, and then online stabilization and color passes done in Premiere. The filters in Premiere are worth the work around. And when the day comes... AVID will help massively with RED footage when we are forced to proxy the 4K down to DNxHD45 and since they released their newest version of Media Composer just a couple days ago.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The words I got from folks who professional editors on Avid's is that it was kind of clunky, with some "proprietary feel/file formats" and that for those currently on FCP 7, Premiere was the NLE of choice. I'm merely repeating what I was told here, so I don't know whether it's true or not, but certainly Premiere CS6/After Effects seem to be a pretty powerful combo. It also helps that you can set the keyboard shortcuts in Premiere to mimic FCP 7, so do you don't have to slow down your editing process while you futz around trying to remember what the keystroke is for Avid... (perhaps Avid has that capability too?)

Andy.

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

I have been experimenting with the Stabilization from FCP X its pretty easy and strait forward the only thing it creates a wobbly effect on some foreground objets has any one seen this?

6. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Yup, I try to use as very little as possible. Brushless direct drive is going to eliminate all need for post stab anyways!

7. Shane Moore

Shane Moore Member

In FCPX stabilization there are three settings. Try sliding the bottom one (scaling) all the way down to zero. It still stabilizes perfectly, but eliminates the strange effects. Scaling is attempting to eliminate the forward movement, which is what we're after with a multi-rotor.

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

thanks Shane I will try that

9. Stefan Helborg

Just waking up an old post :)

What program are you using now to stabilize your drone footage. Small vibrations and small tilt from side to side (roll)?

DaVinci Resolve, FCP ... etc.

10. Jonathan Keao

Jonathan Keao Member

Ive been successfully using Premiere's Warp Stabilizer with a lot of success for a while. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way, so use the settings sparingly.

11. Stefan Helborg

Hmm I only have FCP and DaVinci...

Would your Warp Stabilizer get rid of this roll?

12. Jonathan Keao

Jonathan Keao Member

That looks very slight. I don't know if it would make it absolutely, 100% level.

13. Stefan Helborg

Ok.. I will now atend in a DaVinci Resolve cource to se, it the program is so powerfull as they say it is :)