/dist/images/branding/favicon

SKY VECTOR now posts DROTAM's

Discussion in 'Flight Regulations' started by Shaun Stanton, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

SKY VECTOR aviation chart site now posts all of our Drone Notices to Airman (DROTAM's). This one is mine that I am using in a couple of hours to fly a shoot on the Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu New Mexico for a documentary for the artist Georgia O'Keefe.

Attached Files:

Alex Fuller likes this.
  2. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Very cool. How does one find out who owns it? For instance, out here, there is a 90 NM(!) ring outside of LWM sfc - 200 valid through 10/17. I'd love to know how that was arranged.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Further diving into the complete lack of control the FAA currently has.... 200nm rings up to 200ft AGL valid for as much as 550-600 days. How does that effectively give notice to airman of a potential hazard? I guess it doesn't really matter because filing a NOTAM for surface to 200ft AGL is completely useless in the first place.

Attached Files:

Colin Burgess likes this.
  4. Shaun Stanton

That's a big WTF, LOL. I would be curious to know as well how there is a 581 day NOTAM for the entire Boston area. I almost seems to defeat the purpose for them. I was told to keep mine specifically to the operating area. TO be on the safe side I might add 1/2 mile buffer. My COA's with KABQ and KSAF specifically say to cancel the NOTAM if I finish early. I might just call the NOTAM office and see if they would be willing to tell me who has that NOTAM. I know some long term NOTAMS in my state belong to the military.

Maybe I should have filed the entire state LOL, instead of my pin dot that you will never find on SKY VECTOR unless you knew it was there to begin with.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Shaun the isn't a dot on the map. It's an angel on the head of a pin. What a tragic waste of resources. Might as well have a 3000km circle over the entire US :) And if you filed it likely it would be accepted and no one would notice, maybe ever....

6. Shaun Stanton

It probably would be accepted. The people doing the NOTAMS are just the Lockheed Martin Contracted flight service station people. They just take the info you give them and input in a computer.

I would double dog dare someone to file: Daily UAS Activity within the vicinity of St Louis 000/01 SFC-FL1000 within a radius of 1500nm from sunrise to sunset. NOTAM valid until rescinded. :p