/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shock!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dan Coplan, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dan I guess I am in the skeptical column. Touching two contacts together will typically cause the spark. There have been posting about using a secondary wire but I don't know of anyone that has done that. As Dave said it is a servicable item that needs to be preflighted and replaced on condition. Just don't dawdle when you plug the contacts together and that will minimize the sparking. Take to long by being timid and you can make it look like a Tesla coil.

2. Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan Member

Why is everyone so skeptical? Here's a video I found...

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

My eyeballs are hurting....can't seem to keep the video in focus. How come professional videographers can sometimes produce such awful video? :)

Also, the video doesn't seem to make the point clearly (or sharply for that matter).

Andy.

4. Graydon Tranquilla

Some new batteries coming out of China use the + red AX150 in combination with the - black XT150. Original manufacturer is AMASS. The combination prevents wrong connection and one of the two is sparkless!

5. Graydon Tranquilla

I am about to use them but in combination with the xt150 since the new batteries coming from Hong Kong for DJI S1000 and S900 are using the larger connector for positive and the xt150 for the negative connector. The AX150 has a male connector that contains a 5.5 ohm resistor in the tip to slow the current ramp when connecting..... so connect that one slowly I guess. You have to buy each size in pairs however so you have to put one of each aside. I make sure both + and - at the batteries will have the female connectors inside which means that the charging cable has to have both male connectors inside. Here is a photo. AX-150 and XT-150.jpg

6. Mike Jetter

Mike Jetter New Member

I almost forgot about this thread. Found a similar solution here:
    http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-afc-anti-spark-connectors-5-5mm-150a-1.aspx

I recently switched from 4S to 6S and was surprised that the sparks seem stronger. I thought the lower current would reduce this effect. Well, I will order these Jeti plugs and give them a try. I also like their suggestion to just add one of them inline to the power pigtail of the copter, instead of replacing all my battery connectors.

7. Mark Harris

Mark Harris Member

An arc has an inverse resistance, so the higher the voltage the more current you can get as the current through the arc is limited by voltage.

The AS150 connectors are essentially identical to the jet ones, the resistor is just in the other body. I think the AS150's are the more elegant solution, its a hollow bullet with a resistor stuffed in it, an insulator then an endcap attached to the resistor. This means your initial connection runs through the resistor first and should take the bulk of the inrush away. The split is then on the female side as opposed to what we typically see. More elegant solution that also looks more robust at a much lower price, that makes me happy.

Graydon Tranquilla likes this.
  8. Mike Jetter

Mike Jetter New Member

Thanks Mark, I learned something new. It's always good to have experts in these forums!