/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll adjustment from Spektrum TX

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Dave Halton, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Hi I have just fitted my Radion to a AV130 for roll control which is a vast improvement over the WKM. One thing I would like to do is asign a channel to use the trim buttons on my radio to tweak the roll.

I will also want to ad a tilt Radion which I will want to control the tilt angle in the same way from the sliders on the side of my DX18.

How does one go about this.

Wiring?
    Radion Software settings?

Dave

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I believe you can turn on the slew control on that particular Radian then you would assign whichever channel you want to use to adjust it.

Josh

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

HI Dave,

A better method is to setup the Radian and tweak the roll using the 'angle adjustment' feature and then never worry about tweaking it again. If you get it set correctly once you should never have to touch it again.

On the tilt you can just assign whatever channel your tilt slider correlates to for the Radian tilt module and you will have slew control. Just a note that a slider might not be the best input method as it can be hard to center (unless yours is the type that has a notch on it to tell you center)

Best,

Tabb

4. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Hi Tabb.

As I carry my multi in to shoots and am often on uneven ground doest the multi have to be level at initiation?

If so I wanted to do a remote adjustment via my trim tabs via the TX to level it up once airborne.

I am just drawing a wiring diagram that can be expanded for different setups and make it absolutely clear for knumpties like me.

I will upload it here for comment and amendments. I can then layer it up with various configurations for different set ups.

So I plug in to my tilt channel on my AR8000 a single signal wire and plug it into say, port 2 on the Radian. Then in the Radian software in the I turn on slew and assign a port, in this case port 2. Is this correct?

Dave

5. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Dave, no the Radian does not need to be level on startup. I have literally not touched my roll axis setting in months ;)

Cant wait to see the wiring diagram! Thanks!

The best way is to plug in a Spektrum Satellite into the first Radian on your system (Pan on a 3 Axis, Roll on a 2-axis) Then you assign 1 channel as your 'mode' switch and one channel as your 'slew' control. I use channel 5 for the mode switch and channel 2 for slewing. If you use the Spektrum Satellite it sends all the channels over one connection so you can daisy chain the Radian modules and not have to connect so many extensions like you do if you use PWM

Tabb

6. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Hi Tabb

I am using a single TX and just 2 AXIS. So I guess it is the PWM route I am wandering down

Dave

Schema nearly ready

7. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

This is the simplest set up I have used. I have used the Radion software at default settings for roll servo.

SEE LATER POST

8. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

HI Dave, I am pretty sure you can bind multiple satellites to the same Tx so you should be able to use the Satellite setup also.

9. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

OK Tabb. Ill run with this to sart with then move on to more sophisticated set ups. This is trying to go from simple to complex set ups using Spektrum systems.

Next up Remote roll adjustment (probably not needed after your comments but hayho I had drawn it)

10. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

OK Trying to get this correct - comments please
    !!!THIS IS NOT PROVED BUT MY GUESSWORK!!!

SEE LATER POST

11. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

HI Dave, Input 1 on the Radian is the "slew" input so whatever you want to control the axis with you would need to have plugged in here. If you are planning on using "aux 2" then this would need to go to Radian Input port 1. Input 2 on the Radian would control the 'mode' and allow you to cycle between the 3 modes. You can certainly opt to leave this connection out and just have your gimbal in "stabilized slew" mode all the time.

Best,

Tabb

12. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

OK Correction coming

13. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Tabb is this getting there?

Radion-TX-adjust2-.gif

14. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

OK so my test rig is sat here with the following
    set the slew channel to 0
    Connected a signal wire from my AUX2 on the AR8000 (which normally operates my tilt but using it to check operation) to port 1

without ANY alterations to the software the roll axis can be changed. If I move the slider on notch it starts the roll the gimbal but does not stop until I move the slider back to the centre.

Even if I set the slew to port 1 it does exactly the same thing..

I was expecting it to off set the gimbal by a degree or so each click.
    Any comments appreciated

Dave

15. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Make sure that you have your Transmitter set to send the correct commands to AUX2 out on your receiver. If you don't assign it it won't send any commands to the Radian.

Josh

16. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

HI Dave,

In your example the whatever knob, switch, etc you have to control AUX2 would control the slew for the Roll axis.

When you use PWM input the 'input channels configuration" settings are not used.

Tabb

17. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

OK.. Now I just spent another two hours trying to get my head round this requirement and I still dont have a answer.
    My requested setup is quite a simple one I would have thought in comparison to a three axis set up with thingymabbobs and foofooshuttles.
    I dont cliam to be any type of expert in this mindbogglingley complex and seat of your pants technology BUT I aint daft.
    So my request is a simple one. I started this thread hoping it would be the starting point for a relatively straight forward set up that can be added to and learned from. But now its doing my head in.

Surely this cant be a complex enough issue that a clear and consice explination of what I want to acheive is set up.
    There are no clear and concise instructions in the so called 'OM'. Yes there are a couple of different photos showing a not to clear example of how to connect a 3 axis system, but thats usless if you just want to do a very simple installation of a roll / tilt set up.

I will give up on the TX roll adjustment and move on to the Tilt Axis

So in another post Tabb you said -
    This can be an example

So my short request for clear instructions are for the following set up.

1 - Radian
    1 - AR8000 receiver using PWM
    1 - Spektrum DX8 Transmitter

Radian to control the tilt axis on an AV130.
    DX8000 to be able to adjust the tilt axis through 90 degrees to allow for downward pointing shots via a hard wired command line between the AR8000 and the Radion (NOT from a satellite unit.)
    Simples.. eh?

So please instruct.. I am all ears.

Below what I believe to be the correct hardware installation BUT ill stand corrected

Radion-Tilt-Schema.gif

18. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Dave - quick and dirty

1. Mount Radian to Gimbal and program for Tilt defaults
    2. Plug Tilt Servo into port 4
    3. Choose which channel from your AR8000 you want to control tilt
    4. Plug selected Channel from AR8000 into port 1 on the Tilt Radian
    5. Select which knob, stick, slider, switch etc will drive the selected channel on AR8000 (AUX2 in your drawing)

Tabb

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave: Just to add a couple of points:

1. The AR8000 has (according to the documentation at http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPMAR8000-Manual.pdf) a BATT/BIND port on it (it might be the "bind/dat" of your diagram). That is where you feed the output of the BEC. The BEC powers the AR8000 and then the AR8000 powers the Radian via the three wire connection to Aux 2 in your diagram. Right now you're feeding the power supply *into* port 3 of the Radian which is the S.bus data output port. It might well work -- I've not tried it, but...

2. You will then need to configure your Spektrum Dx8 transmitter so that an appropriate switch on the transmitter controls the signal that is transmitted to the receiver's Aux2. To do that, look at the manual at http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM8800-Manual_EN.pdf.
    Page 15, right-hand column, has a section called "Switch Select."
    Dx8 Switch Select.png

3. With that done, the switch you selected on the Dx8 should transmit data to the AR8000 that will emerge from Aux2 and go into the Radian port 1.

Hope that helps.
    Andy.

20. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Hi Andy.

My AR8000 has been in use now for 18months on my MR. Its all set up and has tilt control via the WKM. The roll was also controlled by the WKM. I have now removed the Roll control and handed it over the the Radian. I thought maybe incorrectly that I could used the tilt channel from my AR8000 that controls the tilt via the WKM. The way I have it wired at the moment is as follows.

AR8000 is powered via WKM voltage regulator. The Radion is powered via a Castle Creations programmable BEC at 6.5 volts so the Savox can get the required voltage. I have connected JUST the signal wire from the AR8000 to the Radion.

In my old set up I had power via the CC bec to the Savox and then the signal wire from the WKM. The adjustment of tilt was controlled via the WKM from the AR8000.

To try and see if I could get Roll adjustment I unplged the AR8000 to WKM signal wire and plugged it in to the radian. With out any adjustments to the Radian software the slider I was using adjusted the roll angle but was very erratic. I found that I had to have the output centred all the time to set the position. By moving the slider one way or the other I could adjust the roll angle BUT it was very erratic. On my old Graupner / MK set up I could adjust it via a trim adjust ment channel.. one click would move the roll axis just a bit and there it would stay... AHH I thiought tis was NOT going to be a MK rabbit hole!

Had enough for tonight. The good news is the roll control is pretty sweet with the Radian solo on the AV130. I have tried to upload a video but I am on mobile tinterweb here on the site I am working so it seems to keep stalling..

Thanks for the input

Dave