/dist/images/branding/favicon

Remote Trigger By Way Of Radian Port...

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Chris Daidone, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

So I'm attempting to run a GentLED Plus IR trigger via Radian port for my 5DM3. I have a 2 position switch mapped to Ch 9 that I'm attempting to set up. So I inserted the IR cable in the correct direction, into port 2 of my tilt Radian. I then opened the Radian software connected and read my tilt settings. Then set the Aux to 9 to represent the channel in which the switch was mapped. Then wrote the settings. Still in the Radian software, I attempted to trigger the swtich to see if everything is working correctly. I get no response from the aux.... everything else works as it should. I then opened MKTools to verify that it was ch 9..... and it is. What am I missing?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you check the Input Monitor for the Radian software and see if it is detecting corresponding activity on Channel 9, Chris?
    The Input Monitor's on one of the main drop down menu's....I don't have access to my machine right now as it's being backed up....

Andy.

3. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Andy,

I checked the input monitor, and your suspicions are correct. It is not detecting channel 9. It is however dectecting the 8 others. What could be causing this?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I seem to remember something about Radians only responding to channels 1-8 -- I've searched the forums, but I cannot find the posting.
    Out of curiosity, can you use a lower channel number?

Andy.

5. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

I can't... 5 is altitude hold, 6 is PH, 7 is tilt control, 8 is mode control for radians, 9 would be trigger...

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Understood. But why not map whatever transmitter switch you're using for Altitude hold to a different channel, thus freeing up channel 5 for camera control? The Altitude Hold channel can be re-mapped in the MK software to channel 9.

Andy.

7. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Yeah.... Should have thought about that... Will try that. I'll let you know. Thanks!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Before you make any changes, does the Radian software see activity on channel 5 when you enable AH?

Andy.

9. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Yes the Radian software can see the activity on Ch.5, and you were righ Andy. The software only sees up to 8 channels. So I flip-flopped the channels and now the switch I intend to use for the aux is working and I can see the activity on the Radian software. However, the IR trigger is not activating the camera. Just to ensure the IR trigger wasn't faulty, I ran it through servo 4 on the FC board. It works perfectly there. So what might be the issue with the Radian port? I ensured that the cable was inserted correctly.... I guess in hindsight I could just use the servo 4 but it looks cleaner coming off of the Radian.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's odd. Do you have the Roll Radian set up to use the Aux port, Chris? If so, could you connect the USB adapter up to the Roll port, start up the Radian software and get a connection and then do a screen capture? Also, if you'd care to take a close up image of the connections on the Roll Radian, I'd be happy to double-check.

Andy.

11. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Its the tilt Radian that I'm trying to use Andy... Is that why its not working? Is the aux output Radian specific?

12. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

So I went ahead and tried it with the Roll Radian... Once again, the Radian software is showing the activity on both the configuration and diagnostic windows, but it still not triggering the camera. Attached are the photos you requested.

Attached Files:

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

From the image it looks like you might have been using the Tilt Radian for the trigger to start with -- if that is the case, it's hard to believe that two Radians are defective....I'm now more suspicious of the camera trigger -- but you've already found that it works when you come straight off the FC board.....hmmmm.....

I'm afraid at this point I'd be reaching for my oscilloscope to see what kinds of pulses are coming out of the Radian's on port 2 and comparing them with the pulses from the FC....there's not really much else I can think of. I suspect you don't happen to have such a best otherwise you'd be using it...

Sorry I can't be of more help -- that's the downside of remote diagnosis by typing, I'm afraid. :(

Andy.

14. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Thanks anyway Andy. I really appreciate your time.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Chris: I was just pondering how you could test that Aux port on a Radian -- then it occurred to me that the output from the Aux port on a Radian is just regular servo output -- any chance you have a spare servo to hand (so you don't have to use one of the servos on the gimbal?) It would give you a good clue as to what is going on on that Aux port.

Andy.

16. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Unfortunately I don't Andy.

17. Dan Walker

Dan Walker Member

I realize this was back in April, so I hope you have solved this by now.

If not, I recently set up a Radian gimbal and noticed in the Radian software input monitor that full deflection on any of my Tx controls resulted in a range of -85% to +85%. I wonder if that's the case with your setup as well. If so, it could be possible that your IR trigger needs more than 85% to operate correctly.