/dist/images/branding/favicon

Painted propellers

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Terrance Lofton Jr, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Terrance Lofton Jr

Terrance Lofton Jr New Member

Hey Alta world!!!

In the Alta 6 videos you can see that the tips of the propellers are painted white, has anyone else done this? I think it's pretty smart and easier to see where the propellers are when you are flying. Any ideas of what paint to use so I don't screw anything up?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not quite sure what paint would bond well with carbon fiber - but the larger issue is to make sure that you do not cause the props to be out of balance. If you put just a slight amount more paint on one blade than the other, it will cause major vibrations.

Typically to balance non-hinged props you use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-499-Tru-Spin-Prop-Balancer/dp/B0006N72Y8 -- and when you use one of these you often use small pieces of Scotch tape on the back of a blade tip or sand a plastic prop to remove material. (Yeah, it's that sensitive.)

I've not tried to balance the props with hinged blades.

I would do a Google search for: carbon fiber paint
    if you really want to go ahead though. I think you may have to prime the carbon fiber first.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert