/dist/images/branding/favicon

No COM ports

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Miguel Mantecon, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Miguel Mantecon

Miguel Mantecon New Member

trying to update a used movi controller to the newest firmware. Downloaded to the VCP for mac OS X 10.9 and above and the movi controller updater. Installed the plug ins and did a reboot and when I plug in the controller nothing appears in the COM port drop down menu. Just trying to find the solution.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Miguel: Sounds like the FTDI driver is not functioning correctly.
    Which version of the VCP drivers did you install? See http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Miguel Mantecon

I installed v2.3. My computer is running OS x El Captian 10.11.6. Also tried the same thing on the a different computer running 10.10.2 ( Yosemite).

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. As you'll see from my response to the WiFi issue, it sounds like you're one step ahead of me as you've already tried under Yosemite. If you're seeing the same results then that would suggest the issue is with the FTDI drivers. I'm not quite sure where to go with this problem. I don't think it's an issue with Freefly -- you should be seeing that VCP port appear.

Did you power cycle the machine down to fully powered off?

If it's a desktop machine I'd try reseting the SMC by powering it off, pull the AC cord out of the back, wait 15 seconds, and then put the AC cord back in and boot up the machine.

Sorry to sound so clueless as to what the problem is -- I've seen similar kinds of problems (e.g. not recognizing USB thumbdrives) with El Capitan. I went from Mavericks to El Capitan -- so I can't really speak about Yosemite.

Andy.

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Miguel Mantecon

No worries and thank you for the response. Yeah i've rebooted after installing the drivers. Following the instructions on how to disable apples usbftdi. I am noticing that my computer is recognizing the controller as 'EasySuite' not sure what to make of it.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think something is definitely mangled in the operating system -- EasySuite is a file transfer app (http://www.oti.com.tw/en/oti-easysuite.html) that has nothing to do with any Freefly products. I wonder what is going on?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. michael duffy

michael duffy New Member

I'm getting the exact same problem. Followed the steps mentioned here as well and can't see to crack it. That "EasySuite" program shows up on the desktop with a DVD icon thumbnail. No mention of that in the PDF instructions though.
    Did you ever sort this out?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I don't know whether Miguel ever did -- I was not able to reproduce anything like the problem, I'm afraid.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Marcel Andre Morin

Marcel Andre Morin New Member

This was happening to me as well. Any resolution?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Could you confirm that you are using a USB Data cable -- not a charging cable, please? If it's a charging cable (that lacks the wires to transmit and receive data) that might be the problem. The best way to test this is to connect up some other device other than the Movi Controller and see if you see a COM port. If you do not then the problem is (sadly) not to do with the MoVI controller.

The other thing to confirm is that you are plugging the USB cable into the lower USB connector on the MoVI controller.

Hope this helps you solve the problem.
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

11. Marcel Andre Morin

We are using an “a” to “a” data transfer cable and we are using the bottom USB port. We are seeing no com port. The field is blank. There is a disk image appearing when the controller is plugged in on our desktop and in finder

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm.... ok, the next thing to check is what happens if you connect up (using that same A-A cable) some USB device (you may need a gender-bender adapter or cable to be able to use the same A-A cable, I realize).

Where I'm going is to try and find out whether any other USB device with that same A-A cable causes the Device Manager to recognize that it has been connected.

I realize it's bit of a crap shoot at this point, but if the USB cable is good and other devices do appear, then the problem appears to be either with the MoVI Controller itself, or some part of the USB software driver chain. On the other hand, if no other devices work, that then points to either the A-A cable, or the operating system.

Do you have any other USB devices that you can use to test -- and NOT using that A-A cable -- just an A to some kind of B connector? Just something that would tell us that the USB drivers etc. are working?

Frustrating isn't it? :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

13. Marcel Andre Morin

The EasySuite DVD icon is mounting when the USB is plugged into the bottom Movi Port.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Marcel: I'm a little confused by your posting -- do you have this set up:

PC <===> A-A USB cable <===> Movi Controller lower port?

Where is the Easysuite DVD in your setup, please?

Thanks
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

15. Marcel Andre Morin

Correct. But I'm on a mac running Sierra OS. The EasySuite DVD is mounting to the desktop when the controller is plugged in.

I have a feeling the drivers aren't working so I'm trying to find them and delete to reinstall fresh.

I tried other devices with other cables. Nothing has initiated any COM port through the app.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm a "Mac person" too, but I'm still curious where the physical DVD is with respect to the Mac and the Movi Controller?

If you connect up the Movi Controller via an A-A cable to a Mac, why would that cause a DVD to mount to the desktop? Hmmm.

Sorry...I suspect I'm still not quite understanding what's going on.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

17. Marcel Andre Morin

I'm guessing there's some kind of driver issue. Is there confirmation that the update will work w/ OS Version 10.13.4?

still trying!

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry, Marcel....I don't know where to take it from here -- I can't understand why any DVD should mount on the desktop when you connect up a MoVI Controller -- it seems completely baffling. You might want to open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com)

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

19. Marcel Andre Morin

Also, not sure about the EasySuite Disc deal but when we use the a-a cable connected to the bottom port of the movi controlle

What's a device you would suggest connecting? use an 'a' to 'b' usb and connect a passport drive or something like that? how would I test my 'a' to 'a' to confirm it is working? I'm going to get a replacement real quick.

20. Marcel Andre Morin

Were you using an INSIGNIA data transfer cable? the BestBuy brand? I'm getting EasySuite too ={