/dist/images/branding/favicon

Newbie questions

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Asker Blond, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Asker Blond

Asker Blond New Member

Hey Freefly forums,

Recently acquired myself a used Movi m5 for my Sony A7sII, and I've been very happy with some of my footage. However I got a couple of newbie questions that I hope some of you might have an answer to:

• Is it preferrable to use the "Freefly MōVI"-app or the "Freefly MōVI Legacy"-app?

• Is it true that the batteries can burn/be destroyed, if I overcharge them? Do I need to set an alarm everytime I charge them?

• I noticed at one point during filming, the motors were really loud and vibrating, causing my zoom lens to slowly start zooming and therefore ruining the balance. I spent a few hours trying to figure what was wrong, until eventually using the auto-configure option in the freefly app, which fixed the motornoise and vibrations. Now - to my question: Am I supposed to use the autoconfigure option everytime I start using the movi m5? Or in intervals of lets say 15-30 mins?

• Last question: Where the *")#=! do I fix tilt? :D At one point my movi was making the DSLR reach a bit towards the sky, and nothing I changed in the Legacy-app seemed to be able to fix the tilt angle.
    Please excuse my newbie questions, I did watch the freefly video tutorials, but the technical side of filmmaking is my weakest link. Thanks in advance.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Asker welcome to the forums.

Would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/.

Use the App version that aligns with the MoVI firmware version. You don't want to have a mismatch.

Which charger are you using? If you have the one from Freefly, and it is working properly, you won't overcharge them. What will destroy them is over discharging them. A small LiPO battery checker, inexpensive, will help you know the actual voltage.

You should auto-config after changing a camera setup or removing and remounting the camera. Auto tune and then fine tune with the app. You want each motor to just start to buzz and then back off a few points.

On the tilt I would guess that the trim button on your remote is not set to the zero position. If it is off a bit then the camera will slowly minutely begin to tilt.

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You could have a Tilt issue if your Tilt Mode is set to Smooth Lock instead of Majestic Angle. In Smooth Lock, you can set the tilt angle of the camera by hand, by slowly tilting it to the position you want. In Majestic Angle, the tilt will follow the tilting of your handle movements.

4. Asker Blond

Asker Blond New Member

Thank you.

Done.

How do I know which firmware version I have? The guy I bought it from a month ago said he had updated it with the latest firmware.

Everything is from Freefly. What do you mean by 'over discharging' them? Sorry, but I know literally nothing about basic physics.

Ok that makes sense, thanks.

Hmm - I tried changing tilt through the freefly app (not legacy), but nothing happened.

Where can I change this in the freefly movi app (not legacy)?