/dist/images/branding/favicon

Newbie CS8 question

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Ross Leong, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Chris Ross Leong

Hello all
    Have a quick newbie question about the CS8's:
    How can one tell, just by looking, between a CS8 (4s) and a CS8 HL (6s)?
    Thanks!

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

are you talking about batteries?
    the CS8 are mostly custom builds so each one is always a little different unless it built by quadrocopter then its pretty easy to spot motor size difference

3. Chris Ross Leong

Jason, hello!
    Well, apart from the cell size, and possibly taking a peek at the power board to see which model it is or how much power it can take, i was wondering if Freefly actually made two different frames, or are they both start out with the same CineStar frame kit, but with different power boards and power units added?
    Sorry if this sounds a little silly but I can't find a real reference to tell between the two, yet I read about them here on the boards as being two different animals.

[edit] okay, upon further examination I see that there's only the one frame kit that was available. I guess since I'm running U7's with the 80A ESCs that mine's an "HL" as well.

Thanks all!

#3 Chris Ross Leong, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. Chris Ross Leong

Hmm... upon further investigation... (i.e. all 36-odd pages of this section, plus the other CS section on this site, plus all relevant CS posts on the Multicopter/Dronevibes site)...
    Seems that according to ecalc. ch, mine won't take more than a 4s without the ESCs giving problems eventually.
    Funny thing that ecalc doesn't agree with the T motor U7 490kv spec sheet, that shows the U7 running off 6s into 1860 CF props (I have 1855's) as being 62Amps at full throttle - so my 80A ESCs should be up to the task, only ecalc says no, too much current.... Hmmm...
    I think the PDB is up to it, it's pretty yuge (sorry) and solid, but I can't find a power rating on it so maybe not...
    More investigation required!

5. Chris Ross Leong

Also, given that two 8000mAh batteries generally weigh more than a single 16000mAh one, I'm guessing that most of you guys who run the double smaller batteries instead of a single bigger one, do so because of redundancy?

6. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

yes if one battery fails you should be able to get home on the other one :)

7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hey Chris, U7 490Kv with 80A ESC and 6S will work fine, depends on the rest of the electronics in the power system though .... also might find 18x6 props a bit big, 17" will work with that motor/ESC combo well.