/dist/images/branding/favicon

NEW U7 motor tmotor

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by kjetil tønnesen, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Stephen Cinch

Stephen Cinch New Member

I'm flying a Vulcan UAV 850mm QUAD un the U7 490 with 80amp T-motor ESC's and it's awesome. Running an A2.
    The ESC's get HOT, but I was told by T-Motor that this is expected, that the ESC's have a heatsink built into them.
    Both the motors and ESC's land hot on the quad with an AUW of 19lbs.

I'm also running an X8 with U5's and the 45amp T-Motor ESC's and it comes down rather Hot as well at only 21 lbs.

One of my other rigs has Avroto 3520's and Maytech 65amp ESC's and at 22lbs comes down cold to the touch!

Attached Files:

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Why run U7's at such as a light AUW? I don't have any heat issues with the U5's at 26 pounds.

3. Stephen Cinch

Stephen Cinch New Member

Hi Dave, I hadn't added the camera and the VTX and Batts yet.
    The X4 with U7's will be flying a GH3 Zenmuse, GH3 (2) 8000 - or 10,000 packs and a full house of 2 man gear.
    I estimate the rig to be right at 22 - 23 lbs which should be perfect for the U7's in the (4) motor config on 18" props.

Also, they are a review item. I had them on an Octo that was just insane and had no purpose, so I split it up and made a uber quad.

Also, from what I have heard the U7'sd simply generate heat. There were 20 test fliers and all were complaining to T-motor about the hot ESC's and motors. T-motor replied with that is OK. SO...??

4. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Yep, that's the setup, and it's working well.

5. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Hi to all, I fly a gryphon x8 with u7 490, 80A tmotors escs, movi m10 Red and heavy lens. We still waiting for our bigger pack so still using 2x 9amps ff bats. Its working just fine after finding a issue of building of one of the motors where after spending 4 hours with tmotors wasn't very successful on assuming the problem. Anyway now it is working and escs do get hotter than I like if hovering, but once in movement its able to be touched by hand.

kianoush likes this.
  6. Dave King

Just wanted to relay some new updats in case anyone is interested. Holger from MK has tested the U7's recently and made changes in the MK firmware of the BL's to accomodate these motors. He says they work fine for him. I might be tempted to try these if I can find some used U7's.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Did he advise you to set a specific timing angle for the U7's Dave?

Andy.

8. Dave King

NO, I think he is advising 24 degrees for all higher powered motors but I will double check.

9. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I have 9 u7 490s, some have scratched cases from a mishap and one is still new in the box. I still have boxes for all of them.

10. Loris Coniglio

Loris Coniglio New Member

Testing new octo, with U7 490, T80A Tmotor esc.
    Esc temp is obout 50-60°c during flight, with peak of about 65 degree.

Payload: Gimbal 2,3Kg + Red Epic with lens and filter.

kianoush likes this.
  11. pål åge røstad

pål åge røstad New Member

Nice:) What kind of frame is this? flightime and weight with this setup?

Pål

12. kjetil tønnesen

i also fly the x8 with u7 motor and tiger 80 amp and movi m5 with black magic camera and with 2 16000mah tatto i get around 8min in the air

13. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Loris get rid of the TM cone nuts they are very dangerous they can unscrew I lost 2 props in mid flight because of those nuts landed kind of ok use lock nuts
    if you don't change them at least check the tighnes on every single flight

14. Loris Coniglio

Loris Coniglio New Member

The frame is home made with 2 carbon plate 3,5mm
    The carbon tube are 32mm diameter
    The plastic block are printed in ABS with 3d printer

The gimbal is in ergal, milled from my drawing.

@jose: Thanks, i'll check every nut.
    @kjetil: I have the same battery and also the flight time is 8-10 mins

Attached Files:

15. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

What are clients requesting everyone to lift to justify U7s?

Thank You,
    Jeff

16. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

I have done an epic and dragon just fine with my flat 8 and T 4012's. Hell... my CS6 HL has done a Black magic 4k with the same motors....

17. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I have wondered the same, guess it's not the client needs but rather hype to use overpowered motors. I really don't know why. I know many guys using X8 with U7 or 4014 KDE:s to lift M5 with mickey mouse GH4. Guess everyone think bigger is better and safer, which is obviously not true.

18. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

KDE 4014XF motors are not that powerful as you expect. Definetely not in the same league with U7; you can compare it to U5 or MN4014 series with 400KV.

The equivalent of Tiger U7 motors in KDE line are 5215XF series. These are slightly larger, bigger but with much higher thrust output.

My flat Octo with KDE 4014XF with 18" props can carry naked Red Epic Dragon with a decent prime lens, but that's the limit at sea level. I would need more power over 1000m ASL.

I wouldn't use 4014XFs for lifting an Epic on regular basis, personally. (If you haven't upgraded the shafts of 4014, I would definetely not fly that rig) . 4014XFs with 17"/18" props are perfect match for lifting M5 with 5D or GH4 with long flight time. These are very efficient motors. I fly almost 12 minutes with a single 10A battery with M5 + GH4 (AUW is close to 10kg), and the hover throttle is around %50.

Another thing is the, we really don't know the AUW of the rigs. Cinestar with M10/M5 is fairly light when compared to other frames with custom gimbals. Let alone M10 is almost 1.2-1.5 kg lighter from a typical custom Cinestar style Red Epic gimbal.

But I agree on carrying M5+GH4 with U7 class motor is just nonsense.

19. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Definitely agree with you Ozkan when using primes with epic, + follow focus etc accessories weight is increased really fast. But just for interest what are the all up weights of the rigs you are flying daily basis with epic? I have U7 motors but i keep them just overkill for any task i normally have. I don't feel comfortable with esc heats with U7 so i will replace them with XF3520 now. I can shrink down everything in my rig so weight is decreased at least 1kg from motors and ESCs, with 2" smaller props i get same flight time without needing to worry overheating everything. This is based on my calculations so real life test will show the real difference in couple of days but here are ecalc calculations which have been freaking precice from my experience.

U7420.jpg XF3520.jpg

20. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

When flying with Epic, my AUW is around 13-14kg max.

I fly Epic very rarely, BMCC4K has been serving very well for aerial videos for me for a while. They are almost at the same weight, so the copter gets stressed at similar levels.

While ecalc values give an idea generally, I find the throttle levels quite optimistic. For me, when I enter KDE 4014XF specs, it says I should hover around %50 gas but the copter hovers around %60-%65 gas and I get better flight times.

Another user, Benjamin Rowland, uses KDE 3520XF with triple prop adaptor (15x5.2 props) and flying M10 and Epic with this combo.

https://www.facebook.com/YonderBlue...41826.130408757082991/259380264185839/?type=1

I'm sure you will be quite comfortable with 3520XFs as soon as you have a light gimbal and naked Red.