/dist/images/branding/favicon

New ATO Policy regarding airspace

Discussion in 'Flight Regulations' started by MIke Magee, Aug 21, 2016.

1. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

WOW. Good stuff in here as I sit watching the clock waiting for my class D COAS to process - over FIVE MONTHS now.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/FAA_JO_7200_23_2.pdf

Thanks for finding this Quadrocopter!
    "Air traffic procedures in controlled airspace.
    This gets interesting around page 19 where maps with altitude block segments will define what is immediately approved by headquarters for flights within controlled airspace."​

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting Mike. I had to grin at: "The Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Office predicts between 400,000 and 2.3 million licensed Part 107 operators by 2020." Hmm. That's quite a margin.... :) Makes for a nice revenue generator if there's 2.3 million people taking the knowledge test every two years.

Andy

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Remember it was only a short while ago that they predicted 7,000....

4. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Supposedly 20,000 have signed up to take the test around the US according to a I think a Forbes article that I read.

Go on Reddit and other forums and and there are many people who think all they need for commercial work is a Phantom and a month's worth of experience. If I had a dime for every time someone said, "Hey I have a Phantom 3/4 that I have been flying for a few months and am getting pretty good with it." "What do I need to make money with it?"

5. Shaun Stanton

Thats interesting, that looks like some of the Blanket COA's that I managed to get in New Mexico under my 333. I have a concentric ring of 100, 200, 300 and 400 feet depending on how far I am from the Aerodromes.

6. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Status Update for a Class D COA outside of Boston.

On 3/25/16 I applied for a COA that would allow operation in the outside 4 MI of a local class D (KBVY) . That was over 5 months ago.

Here is a status response (yesterday) from a friendly FAA guy in DC that is the buffer between the client (ME) and the service provider (FAA ATO):
    Hi Mike,
    The latest word I got from the Eastern Service Area was that your COA was number 160 out of 530. As far as a timeline, the service area did not provide one. It’s not the best news but you are working your way to the front of their list.

SO, it's taken me 5 months to crawl to number 160 in line.

Can't wait to see how/IF the 107 COW process provides relief and would be very interested in anyone that provides real-life turnaround times for airspace issues.

-m

<rant>
    Every day I see some person fly commercial and non-commercial in class D around here. It frosts me that we follow the rules and decline work while these illegal commercial operators drive local rates to the bottom and become local "go-to" providers for cheap and easy aerial.
    </rant>

7. Shaun Stanton

Supposedly they are going to give some leeway for it to be handled by the local FSDO. I imagine that graphic is guidance to a FSDO which will outline a cookbook solution to most COW's. If you need some deviation then my understanding is when it gets "staffed up," to Washington. I suppose that is how it will be.

In your case I am surprised that they just dont contact everyone asking for a COA in your area if you would take a COA similar to another company. I got a COA for a shoot in Kentucky that an LA based company got one year prior. I was able to fast track it by just asking them to give me what company 'X' had and I will comply.

Last note, yeah I feel the same way, it does piss me off to no end that the good guys playing it right are the ones getting fucked while the rogue guys operate without impunity.

8. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike, I feel your pain. We've had over six month waits for COA's. Once, in desperation, I got a hold of the western service center COA director to ask if anything could be done to expedite the COA. Of course he said no. Then proceeded to explain all the offers of cash and other bribes to get in front of the line. All ridiculous and crazy. They needed about fifty times the people working on COA's to get the timeframe inline with reality. Will be interesting to see how much better or worse the 107 waiver process is.

9. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Just for fun, I submitted 2 107 COW's this morning - one for a simple safe night op and one for a class D op. The timer has started and I'll see if a COW does better than a COA.

10. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Will be very curious to hear the result of this. Please keep us posted.

11. Shaun Stanton

I am going to submit a few today as well. I want to submit two that mimic two local 333 COA's.

MIke Magee likes this.
  12. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I think different regions operate at different speeds with COA's. Eastern region is horrible. Same for COW's?

I wonder if the mechanism for COW's will be staffed better. Let me know what you submit in terms of your 2 COA like Cows, and I'll submit same here to see if turnaround varies significantly by region.
    -m

13. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

My understanding is that, initially, all 107 waiver requests will be processed in DC. But the long term plan is for each FSDO to handle them based on jurisdiction.

14. Shaun Stanton

So in essence a lot of noise out there then. I got a call from DC to close out a COA a few weeks ago and was asked if I could just get a COW instead. The guy told me that the FSDO would handle it. I told him no I needed the 333 COA due to time it will take to get the RPIC, etc. I will give my FSDO a ringy dingy sometime later today to see what he is being told.

MIke Magee likes this.
  15. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

16. Shaun Stanton

I participated in Kevin Morris's FAA webinar about a month ago. He's got good info.

MIke Magee likes this.
  17. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

AND, some more friendly guidance form out FAA friends: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=86707

October 25- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) began issuing Part 107 waivers and airspace authorizations to drone operators starting August 29, 2016, the effective date of the new rule. As of October 24, 2016, the agency has approved 81 authorizations for flights in Class D and E airspace, and has issued 36 waivers of Part 107 provisions to drone operators who applied after the rule’s effective date.

However, the agency has found that many applications have incorrect or incomplete information. Many applicants request too many waivers or request waivers for flights in types of airspace for which the FAA is not yet granting approvals. As a result, the agency has had to reject 71 waiver requests and 854 airspace applications.

It’s important for applicants to understand the information needed to make a successful safety case for granting a waiver. Refer to the performance-based standards (PDF) on our website.

For example, we clearly spell out the information required for a waiver to fly at night – one of the most common requests:

• Applicant must provide a method for the remote pilot to maintain visual line of sight during darkness.
    • Applicant must provide a method for the remote pilot to see and avoid other aircraft, people on the ground, and ground-based structures and obstacles during darkness.
    • Applicant must provide a method by which the remote pilot will be able to continuously know and determine the position, altitude, attitude, and movement of their small unmanned aircraft (sUA).
    • Applicant must assure all required persons participating in the sUA operation have knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness, and understand physiological conditions which may degrade night vision.
    • Applicant must provide a method to increase conspicuity of the sUA to be seen at a distance of 3 statute miles unless a system is in place that can avoid all non-participating aircraft.
    The other performance-based standards also list exactly what the FAA needs to consider a waiver. Operators must make waiver requests at: https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/

Without a detailed description of how the applicant intends to meet these standards, the FAA can’t determine if a waiver is possible. Operators should select only the Part 107 regulations that need to be waived for the proposed operation. Applicants also should respond promptly to any request we make for additional information. If the agency does not receive a response after 30 days, it will withdraw the request.

Operators must apply for airspace authorizations on the same web page. The required information is spelled out in the waiver/airspace authorization instructions document (PDF).

As the FAA previously announced, operators who want to fly in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace don’t need FAA authorization. The agency is currently processing requests to operate in Class D and Class E airport surfaces. We will begin to consider requests for Class C drone flights after October 31 and for Class B airspace after December 5. Applications to fly in those areas before the indicated dates won’t be approved.

The Part 107 regulations provide a flexible framework for unmanned aircraft operations. Waivers and airspace authorizations are an important part of making the new rule work as intended. Applicants can help speed the process by making sure they make a solid, detailed safety case for any flights not covered under the small drone rule.

18. Shaun Stanton

I am testing the waters to see if I can get an ATC authorization similar to my 333 COA. The tricky part is that these ATC authorizations take some different info then the 333 COA. You cant upload anything to them. I referenced my COA and basically said this one except for the 107. We'll see. I am not expecting it to be approved on the first go.

MIke Magee likes this.
  19. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Please keep us posted Shaun.

Shaun Stanton likes this.