/dist/images/branding/favicon

need evaluation on small video.

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Adam Brennan, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I have the Movi M15 and put a Blackmagic Cinema Camera on it. Balanced it and did an autotune. I am not getting smooth video footage. I am trying to walk like groucho marx but that doesn't seem to be working. Is it the way I am holding or walking? I am getting side to side with vertical movement still.

Let me know your thoughts?
    password: movi15

2. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Adam, try increasing your pan window value and see if that helps. Try 15 and go higher if you're still not getting the results you want.

Hope it helps.

3. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Thanks Eric. Should I auto tune first and then adjust the pan?
    What about the small vertical movement? Do you see that?

4. Eric De Fino

Eric De Fino Member

Pan window is separate from tuning. It's how may degrees you can move the pan bar before the motors start to pan. Seems like you had a very narrow window, hence the side to side movement.

Your vertical movement is due to how you're holding it and walking, most likely.

Practice holding it at a set vertical distance and walking while maintaining the same height. Takes a bit of practice but it'll get better.

Cheers,

5. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

There's a nice energy to some of that footage, I like the start around the car.

Could you post your motor stats: how much each motor is working at rest, just a screenshot would do it to see where the lines are getting to.

I don't see the window as being an issue here. The instsability is all translational.

It's important to distinguish between rotational stability and translational.

Translational instability originates from the operator.

Rotational from the balance.

If your balance of the rig is poor then rotational instability will result as a byproduct of translational instability, which I suspect is happening here some-what.

IMO auto tune is never as good as doing it manually to find the limits of each motor and how they are affecting each other - monitor the motors on the charts.

When you run with the rig your body normally will translate into the rig a bit. My diagnosis is that your running needs to be more silly!

Note that you're on a longish lens there so any translational jots from your foot falls will be more visible. But there's enough 'slop' (long lasting action-reaction) to make me think there's a balance issue also.

Key to running is arm position and maintaining the height of your COG (torso) and soaking up any imperfections in your arms by holding them at the middle of their boom range with your elbows pointed out to the side.

Check out the behind the scenes of Sam Nuttmann's reel http://motionstate.com/portfolio-item/movi-operator-reel-bts-sam-nuttmann/

You can learn a lot from watching how a gimbal operator works. Gimbal operation requires even more body prevision than Steadicam IMO.

Hope this helps.

Andy Johnson-Laird likes this.
  6. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Also, a good way to check your balance is just to see what the system looks like when you run around with the motors off (but the rig balanced up). It should look pretty decent (albeit like the camera is on a boat in a storm!).

When running fast, hold on to the rig with one hand at the centre, which reduces the angular force your hand has on the rig.

Andy Johnson-Laird likes this.
  7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Well said, Brett. The physics of the MōVI cannot remove translational motion.

Andy.