/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI M5 Update Jan 15 2014

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Steve Maller, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Just got this email from Freefly. If you’re on their list, you did, too. I’m re-posting it here in its entirety...
    --------
    We know how anxious everyone is to receive their MōVI M5 and we wanted to provide an update on the delivery timeframe and new M5 features. Unfortunately, MōVI M5 production is behind schedule, and the launch date will be pushed back until March 15th. The team at Freefly has been pushing hard to deliver a fantastic product on time, but we have encountered some unforeseen delays. A few injection molded parts on the M5 had issues and the molds need to be re-worked to ensure the parts meet our stringent quality standards. This issue, coupled with the design changes we wanted to make to simplify the balancing process to make it more streamlined, have pushed out the launch date considerably. We realize this is extremely disappointing for our pre-order customers and, as early adopters and staunch supporters of Freefly and the MōVI product line, we deeply regret letting you down. We are doing everything we can to ensure there are no further delays. [special discount info redacted...]

To help tide you over to launch, below you will find a growing list of features for the MōVI M5:
    • Fully enclosed camera cage for maximum rigidity and shot stability
    • Improved adjustable camera plate
    • Fully protected wiring
    • Simplified fully tool-less balancing
    • Inverted mode for more comfortable eye level camera angle
    • Quick release top handle to allow for rapid adjustment
    M5 Specs:
    • Camera cage dimensions: 130mm (L) x 120mm (W) x 180mm (H)
    • Max Payload: 5lb / 2.27kg (note - while the M5 can carry up to a 5lb / 2.27 kg payload, it is important to confirm that your camera / lens combo will physically fit in the M5 camera mounting envelope. Please consult our camera compatibility chart for further info.
    • Weight: 4.4lb / 2kg with battery.
    • Remote controller: available as an optional accessory.

2. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Based on the camera cage design, I am not sure which SLR's this device now supports. I am concerned as I was really hoping to use it with my 5D MK III but the size of the body makes me think there may be issues

These are all W x H x D

5D MK III 152.0 x 116.4 by 76.4
    70D 139.0 x 104.3 x 78.5
    T5i 133.1 x 99.8 x 78.8

SL1 116.8 x 90.7 x 69.4
    EOS-M 108.6 x 66.5 x 32.3

Looking above, with only 120mm W to work with, the only two canon cameras, aside from the point and shoots, that would fit would be the SL1 and the EOS-M

I just also looked up the Black Magic Pocket Cinema camera, for curiosity and its dimensions are
    128 by 38 by 66.

It is not clear to me what the camera cage dimensions mean, but even though my 5D MK III would fit within the weight limit, I am concerned if my camera will fit. I am quite curious what the "camera compatibility chart" is and what cameras will fit on the M5. I have contacted FreeFly and am awaiting response.

3. Łukasz Krysiewicz

Łukasz Krysiewicz New Member

There was a document that specified that 5D Mark III would fit M5, but I cannot find it currently.

4. Steve Maller

This is the original chart that Freefly published when the M5 was first announced, and Vincent Laforet posted it on his blog at http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2013/07/15/movi-m10-ships-in-30-days-m5-details-announced/. Not sure it’s still accurate, but I know that the 5D Mark III was right in their sweet spot. Of course it depends on what else you have on it (a lens is helpful). The design has evolved considerably, I’m sure, but I can’t imagine them moving away from 5D Mark III compatibility.
    [​IMG]

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Nicolas, the entire 5D lineup will fit in the M5, as will the pocket cinema camera. I am going to confirm that I did not give bad dimensions / verify Canon's dimensions.

Thanks

Tabb

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

My mistake on this, I transposed the Width and Height measurements. Sorry for the stress guys!

So it should be 130mm (L) x 180mm (W) x 120mm (H)

Tabb

Steve Maller likes this.
  8. Steve Maller

Thanks for the update, Tabb!
    On a related topic, do you have an "upgrade" path to allow the M5 to become an "MR5" for mounting on a copter? Will the $300 MR upgrade for the M10 be the same product for the M5?
    http://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/movi-accessory/products/movi-mr-upgrade-kit

9. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

Will the RedRock microRemote also be easily compatible with the newly designed M5?

10. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Glad this has been sorted out. They emailed me back this morning with the image and the same information about the transpose. I was worried there for a bit. Glad the M5 will still work for me :)

11. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

12. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

can we get an updated photo, quadrocopter has a photo that looks like a cinestar converted with a brushes stye, no quick release balancing, but movie website has a mini looking M10 with the quick release balancing. Which is it?

13. Marco Carandente

Marco Carandente New Member

Hi there, new to the forums.
    Maybe it's only me, but I really think that this is getting a bit out of hand.
    The original stated first batch should have been shipped "in the October - December range" and now we're getting yet another delay. That's full 4 to 6 months of delay. I can only imagine how the guys that placed their pre order in August feel now getting told that they'll be getting their M5 EIGHT MONTHS after they paid.

I think it's great that you take your time to polish your product before shipping it... but how about you do that BEFORE starting accepting preorders and giving out shipping estimates?

I already had to delay one project that I greenlighted based on your original dates.
    I now have to directly cancel two more that I greenlighted based on an already generous shipping date that I based on what you said last October. Stuff that I simply can't do without the MoVI.

You perfectly know that you have to deal with professionals, and that some of those professionals operate on razor thin bugets and delivery times. This delay will likely be costing our production some 3000-4000 euros, and I had the foresight to greenlight them with the MoVI as fundamental element only because these were rather small projects.

This is not a Kickstarter and this kind of delay should get way more of an apology than what you're giving.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I'm seriously asking myself now... Should I trust them on this shipping date again?
    How many cool productions should I turn down because a key element is still missing after what, six months?

PS:
    I'm posting this here because I'm buying overseas through a reseller, so I haven't yet received anything. Guess I'll have to email them by myself.

14. Hi Marco....We appreciate your frustration (along with all of our other customers who have been impacted by this decision). As we said previously, we didn't make the decision to delay lightly (I assume nobody ever does) and because of it, we will definitely be changing how we launch products in the future. That said, we do feel confident that we will make our 15 March date.

15. Chris Lombardo

Chris Lombardo New Member

Hi all,
    If it works for 5D M3, I hope I'm correct in saying the M5 will accommodate a Canon 7D?

16. Hi Chris...While the 7D is not on the tested list, its dimensions and weight (without a battery grip) do appear compatible with the M5.

17. Chris Kidd

Chris Kidd New Member

Hi, when the M5 is released in march, what would be the length of the queue and estimated delivery time if I order one in april ? Thanks.

18. Benjamin Rowland

Looking forward to our M5!

19. Jerry Boonya

Jerry Boonya New Member

Super excited as well. Just 17 more days.

Here's hoping it's released even sooner =)

20. Chris Lombardo

Chris Lombardo New Member

OK guys, it's March 4. Do you still predict to start shipping pre-orders on March 15? I have an April 12 shoot, trying to pick a gimbal stabilizer for it, and all the choices available claim to be shipping around the same time. I'm hoping Movi will win.